Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 01:14:44 am

Author Topic: Should I do 4U/Extension 2 Maths???  (Read 2592 times)  Share 

sxiao

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I do 4U/Extension 2 Maths???
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:34:41 pm »
+1
Hello :)
I am currently a Year 11 student going into Year 12 and i’m struggling a lot to figure out which subjects to keep

I go to a decent (Top 10) selective school so the competition to get in MX2 was extremely high. Out of the 72 slots, I think I ranked around the middle as I ranked top 5 for Term 1, top 25 for Term 2
However, for preliminarys I really struggled with time management so I got average for both 2U and 3U - around 90% for 2U and 75% for 3U

Because of this, I’m really worried I won’t be able to cope with the workload of 4U maths because my experience from Prelims was that I had to sacrifice a lot of time from maths to focus on my other subjects. I currently do Extension maths and english, bio, modern and chem - bio and modern being my favorite subjects but also the most time consuming. My mentality was to drop X2 maths to focus on all my other subjects, but I did more research into scaling/ranking etc and found that it would be beneficial if I kept X2. I do enjoy maths, but largely because it was one of my better subjects, so I don’t know if i’ll thrive in an environment where the content gets so challenging and I don’t do well. My biggest problem is figuring out if it would be worth it to keep X2 even though I know i will be spending a lot of time on my other content heavy subjects.

Basically i’m very stressed and in a dilemma and any advice or help would be very very very appreciated :))
HSC 2019 — Extension Maths, Extension English, Chemistry, Biology, Modern History

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: Should I do 4U/Extension 2 Maths???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:12:01 am »
+8
Ok so, I'm largely in the same boat as you (selective school, year 11, trying to get into MX2).
If you went to Rui's lecture yesterday (bloody brilliant may I just add) one of the first things he said was if you do MX2 you need to try it out first ie. don't drop before half-yearlies. I reckon that's a pretty damned good idea, and that if you've already made it in, it's worth a shot.
However, if you find the workload is still too much, you could drop down to 3U or 2U and still have your 10 units.

Modern is a bloody killer in terms of content, extremely rewarding even though it makes me want to die sometimes, and I can see where your enjoyment comes from. Similar thing with bio, or so I've heard since I don't do it. Either way, since you absolutely love these subjects never drop :) Otherwise, if the workload is too much maybe drop chem? I think if you can't cope drop chem or MX2.

Having said that though, that's just f you want to drop a subject. You can still spend time on your other content heavy subjects, and study every day just a little on MX2 and still succeed in it. People I know have done this and have gotten high marks for MX2 as well as their content heavy subjects, and it is doable. I guess it just depends on how this pans out for you and how you feel about the workload.

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Re: Should I do 4U/Extension 2 Maths???
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 06:34:33 pm »
Drop Extension English
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW