Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:39:45 am

Author Topic: Form Help  (Read 3669 times)  Share 

cheytosh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Form Help
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:45:14 pm »
I'm really struggling to incorporate form into my short story. Right now, it reads as a stock-standard, linear-narrative story and I feel like I've barely developed the plot. I've been poring over past reflection statements, and they seem to draw from so many sources and delve into form research. I don't really know where to begin. I know you shouldn't compare your work completely to others, but I feel that just a standard story form is not going to cut it for English Extension 2 - so many other works have been highly experimental (insertion of quotes, disjointed narrative etc.) and yet simultaneously have so much research to support these creative decisions.

What are examples of plot structure that I could incorporate - cyclical etc.? My Viva Voce is coming up in two weeks and I am quite worried I won't have enough research on form, as I have seen "more form research" a lot as something people wish they did before the Viva Voce/were told to do after it. I think this is hindering my writing a bit, as I am unsure moving forward what perspective to do, how to shape my story etc. In saying that, what level are we expected to be at for the Viva Voce. Is it just where you plan to direct your Major Work, or do you need to show hard evidence of research? Sorry for the overload of questions.

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: Form Help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:28:07 am »
I'm really struggling to incorporate form into my short story. Right now, it reads as a stock-standard, linear-narrative story and I feel like I've barely developed the plot. I've been poring over past reflection statements, and they seem to draw from so many sources and delve into form research. I don't really know where to begin. I know you shouldn't compare your work completely to others, but I feel that just a standard story form is not going to cut it for English Extension 2 - so many other works have been highly experimental (insertion of quotes, disjointed narrative etc.) and yet simultaneously have so much research to support these creative decisions.

What are examples of plot structure that I could incorporate - cyclical etc.? My Viva Voce is coming up in two weeks and I am quite worried I won't have enough research on form, as I have seen "more form research" a lot as something people wish they did before the Viva Voce/were told to do after it. I think this is hindering my writing a bit, as I am unsure moving forward what perspective to do, how to shape my story etc. In saying that, what level are we expected to be at for the Viva Voce. Is it just where you plan to direct your Major Work, or do you need to show hard evidence of research? Sorry for the overload of questions.

Hey cheytosh!

So I found the best way to find the perfect form, is to look at your concept. For me, I am looking at free will/determinism and all that, so my story reads as a 'Choose your own adventure' as this works really well with my concept. So look at your concept and what you want to explore within your major work, and think of a way that you could incorporate your concept without explicitly writing it.

In regard to the viva, we are required to have at least 1-2 pages written, a clear action plan, a statement on intent and question of inquiry, a clear idea on our form and where we want our major work to go as well as sufficient research and investigation into our form and concept. I believe you will need to show evidence of your research so the markers can understand what you have done and what you want to do.

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}