Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:45:20 am

Author Topic: PSMT Unit 1 Consumer Arithmetic Feedback  (Read 1619 times)

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
PSMT Unit 1 Consumer Arithmetic Feedback
« on: February 29, 2020, 04:51:53 pm »
Hey,

Could someone could give me some feedback on my Unit 1 General PSMT on Consumer Arithmetic?

EDIT: I have just done my references so now there isn't a butt load of random links at the end of the report

Thanks,
Luke
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:22:46 pm by Luke_8064 »
QCE Class of 2021: Design | Digital Solutions | English | ICT | General Maths | Psychology

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: PSMT Unit 1 Consumer Arithmetic Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 05:20:35 pm »
+1
Hey,

It's clear that you've put a fair bit of work into this, so first of all I want to say good job on doing that & also getting on top of your PSMT early.

If you haven't already I'm going to recommend you read this high level PSMT example by QCAA. Note that the language is relatively simple and straight forward. Often our instinct for school work is to true and "sound smart" but here your goal for your writing shouldn't be to try and sound smart - focus on being clear, concise & easily understood. Part of this is about cutting your sentences down into shorter and simpler ones; another aspect is making sure you follow grammar conventions. Additionally, I think your structure and sequencing could use a bit of work to ensure the report is clear and flows smoothly with logical ordering.

Throughout your report it's written like you're writing it for a school task and your explanations and justifications reflect that. That makes sense since it is a school task but try to approach it pretending it isn't for school.

If you only edit one section of your PSMT make it your discussion. There are points that I know you've thought of from your writing earlier in the report that should be in the discussion and isn't making its way there. I advise you reconsider your approach to "reasonable" "acceptable" and "valid". Consider questions like: will they actually be able to save that much each week? Does the cost of the holiday make sense? Is it likely to actually cost more? less? why? Is the length of time spent saving for the holiday appropriate? What influences the accuracy of your predictions?

Best of luck, I hope this helps and please feel free to reply with any questions or comments! :)

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:39:21 pm »
+2
Thanks ever so much Bri! Helped a ton  :D
QCE Class of 2021: Design | Digital Solutions | English | ICT | General Maths | Psychology

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 12:47:53 pm »
Hey Bri,

Could you explain to me what reasonableness is, in the context of mathematics. Just wondering because when I try to talk about the reasonableness of my solution, I kind of just backtrack and get confused.

Thanks,
Luke

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 01:53:34 pm »
+1
Hey,

It's still reasonableness in the normal sense. It might help you to remember that the subcategory it's in is "evaluate and verify"; when you're considering reasonableness it's as part of an analysis looking at whether how you've addressed the problem is accurate and realistic

For reasonableness, what they want you to focus on is reasonableness of your solution by considering the results, assumptions & observations. For example, you could say that the person is going to save 75% of their income each week but would that be reasonable based on what you know of the person and their circumstances? (this is where you would link to your budget you've prepared)  Are the choices made for the holiday and cost estimations reasonable for a dream holiday? (e.g. when you were talking about nutrition) Do your assumptions make sense?

In the sample assessments, look for green highlighter as examples of how this can be shown.

I hope this helps & no worries :)