Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 01:01:28 am

Author Topic: parallel line equation help  (Read 888 times)  Share 

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
parallel line equation help
« on: March 01, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »
Can someone please explain how to do this please?

Question: The equation of the line that passes through the point (5,9) and is parallel to the line : y=3x+7 is.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: parallel line equation help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 09:08:08 pm »
+5
Hey!
So the equation that is parallel means that it has the same gradient as the line. So the equation that you're trying to find has equation: y=3x+c. Then you substitute the point (5,9) where x=5 and y=9 and that should give you the equation.  :)

What specific part were you struggling with?

Rose34

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:49:38 am »
+3
Can someone please explain how to do this please?

Question: The equation of the line that passes through the point (5,9) and is parallel to the line : y=3x+7 is.

You know how the general equation is Y=mx+c
now that it is saying that it is parallel which means that its gradient is the same thus m is the same for the new equation would be 3
now you sub 3 in the general form so it becomes: y=3x+c
since it gave you the point (5,9), you have to sub it back in to find c:  y=3x+c which will be 9=3(5)+c
9=15+c
9-15=c
c=-6
* now you are almost done, you just need to put everything together into the equation of y=mx+c
c=-6
M=3
thus
Y=3x-6

I hope that helps

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 06:25:38 pm »
Hey!
So the equation that is parallel means that it has the same gradient as the line. So the equation that you're trying to find has equation: y=3x+c. Then you substitute the point (5,9) where x=5 and y=9 and that should give you the equation.  :)

What specific part were you struggling with?

hey i'm just new to this so i don't know about how messages and stuff work so hope this gets sent through. i understood what you meant but where did the 7 go?

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:29:15 pm »
+3

hey i'm just new to this so i don't know about how messages and stuff work so hope this gets sent through. i understood what you meant but where did the 7 go?
To put simply, sometimes questions would give you 'distracting' information which wouldn't actually be needed for you to solve for the answer.

In this case, the 7 of the original equation is one of these 'distracting' pieces of information - you don't actually need it. The only useful info you need from the equation given is the gradient.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:30:10 pm »
+2

Hey,

You've replied fine :)

The only information you need from the original line is its gradient (3) - the y-intercept (7) isn't needed.

This is because the gradient alone determines whether two lines are parallel

Edit: beaten by colline

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 06:31:30 pm »
+2

Welcome to the forums, I reckon posting in the Methods thread is more convenient but all good!

Attached below is a digram of both lines showing that they are parallel despite the c