Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 07, 2024, 02:04:58 am

Author Topic: Transfer from Latrobe Double BSCI to Monash ADV SCI  (Read 857 times)  Share 

Jarun

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Transfer from Latrobe Double BSCI to Monash ADV SCI
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:53:14 pm »
Hey Guys,
Here's a student who did not study during VCE and now has ridiculous ambitions.
In the midst of the VCE examination period, I'd decided that I'd like to be a physicist.
Unfortunately, it was a little too late to redeem myself from the time I had wasted during the year.

I'd received an ATAR of around 78 and a raw English Language score of 24.

I was wondering if there was anyone around here who was in a similar boat.
In terms of WAM and the competitiveness of transfer... What might the cut-off be?
I am planning to undertake a year's worth of study at Latrobe and attempt a transfer, so will that manage the English language requirements?
VCE 2019
SBSC (Math and Physics Major) & SBCS (Comp. Sci), Latrobe, 2020.....

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Transfer from Latrobe Double BSCI to Monash ADV SCI
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:49:08 pm »
+2
Not sure what the actual cut off is but the transfer requirement is typically a 70+ WAM (minimum) and I’ve heard in more competitive cases the minimum might be 75+ WAM to be safely in (usually). 

I’d probably ask Monash about the not meeting English Language requirement part, as they’d be probably the most knowledgeable about it.

Alternatively, you could do the exact same thing with a normal BSci and add Honours afterwards (which is what I did) and it’d be almost exactly the same in qualification and knowledge, just minus the title.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Jarun

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10:18 am »
Do you reckon it'd be feasible to transfer after one sem worth of study at latrobe into the standard bsci at monash and then transfer into the bsci adv by the end of the year?
VCE 2019

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »
+2
Do you reckon it'd be feasible to transfer after one sem worth of study at latrobe into the standard bsci at monash and then transfer into the bsci adv by the end of the year?
Yes, but do be mindful that ATAR might be considered during transfer if you’re attempting in your first year of study at uni. You may still have to fulfil prerequisites via other means (e.g. bridging course) but you’d have to check that with Monash to be sure.

As mentioned before, there’s virtually no difference between the normal BSci (and adding Honours afterwards) and BSci Adv, so that second transfer may not even be necessary. Anyone with Honours or Masters by research, where the Honours/ Masters research project was done within the field of physics is generally considered enough to become a research physicist.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Jarun

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 05:47:46 pm »
Thank you! It's somewhat alleviated my concerns. I'll send Monash an e-mail for the transfer info. See you around
VCE 2019