Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:35:35 pm

Author Topic: Tutoring Services  (Read 870 times)

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Tutoring Services
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:51:20 am »
+2
Hi,

I'm extremely interested in offering tutoring services for English and Literature-based subjects of any state/territory as well as in History subjects such as the general History subject, Modern and Ancient of any state/territory. Except I'm not exactly sure where to "advertise" my tutoring services as I'm not apart of any tutoring organisation. I was looking at the Tuition and Education Services forum, but I'm not exactly sure if I "fit the criteria" of being able to "advertise" myself as a tutor on that forum. Does anyone have any advice of where I can "advertise myself" and how I can "become" a tutor?

Thank you so much and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: Tutoring Services
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:21:38 am »
+4
Hi,

I'm extremely interested in offering tutoring services for English and Literature-based subjects of any state/territory as well as in History subjects such as the general History subject, Modern and Ancient of any state/territory. Except I'm not exactly sure where to "advertise" my tutoring services as I'm not apart of any tutoring organisation. I was looking at the Tuition and Education Services forum, but I'm not exactly sure if I "fit the criteria" of being able to "advertise" myself as a tutor on that forum. Does anyone have any advice of where I can "advertise myself" and how I can "become" a tutor?

Thank you so much and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon

Hi Darcy!
I think anyone can be a tutor is they have 2 things; a personable nature and very good knowledge of the subject they are tutoring in (which when advertised is usually in the form of marks).

It's not uncommon to not be a part of a tutoring organisation and it isn't always necessary, I think you could definitely advertise yourself in the tuition board but one thing you would have to keep in mind is that as you are still in school you may not be getting many people interested because you dont have study scores or an atar to prove your expertise as most of the people on here that would be looking for tutoring IMO are Year 11 and 12. I definitely think you could advertise yourself on a local FB page for your area and those kinds of places as I personally feel that (and this my opinion so take with a grain of salt) you would be better-suited tutoring younger years just because there are so many tutors out there that are like "I got a 99.95 and 50's in these subjects!" and Year 11's and 12's are more likely to chose past year 12's than current ones.
However with that being said, defs put yourself out there I think you would make an awesome tutor!

I'm wanting to tutor also but after Year 12 cause then I'm not juggling everything I do with school and tutoring, I would probably offer tutoring free to year 12's for my first year and so then I have testimonials/'proof' that tutoring is good because "look this person I tutored improved from a C to a A or they got a 40 study score".

There is no right or wrong way to do it, if you have a look at Google you'll see there are so many articles that say different things because tutoring is an unregulated industry but you might want to check out this Seek article or this Learnmate post
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 09:34:43 am »
+4
Hi J_Rho,

Thank you so much for your response! I definitely consider what you discussed. At the moment, I am planning to offer my "tuition services" for free on ATAR Notes through various modes of email/private messaging communication, Zoom sessions, marking and feedback for any subject assignments, how-to guides and sessions via a program that I use called Lark. And then afterwards, when I study my Undergraduate degree, I will pursue tutoring as a job since teaching is my passion. In the future, I am planning to create resources such as summary notes, quizzes, articles and YouTube tutorial videos as well as offering tutoring sessions both online and in-person for a certain cost (which I am going to finalise in the future but would be reasonably cheap).

As you also discussed, of how people often prefer graduated tutors, I will mainly focus on using ATAR Notes as a platform and then, in the near future, apply for an ATAR Notes job or pursue tutoring in the different modes that I described before. But thank you so much for your advice, suggestions and links to various articles! I extremely appreciated it.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:17:58 am »
Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested in my services, please check out this post where I describe the cost and services in full detail!

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=191060.0

Thank you and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.