Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 05:31:45 am

Author Topic: Question about the GAT  (Read 1019 times)

Goodchar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Question about the GAT
« on: June 13, 2020, 09:01:03 pm »
wait I'm SO confused lol. firstly due to corona is it true that the GAT still can't pull down our actual scores, it can only accelerate it?

also, do we have to include ALL the information or can we just group SOME info????? SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY BACK I BEG.

Mod edit: split from 7 year old topic. If you have a question please post a new thread, don't revive topics more than 30 days old.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:32:10 pm by K888 »

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Question about the GAT
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 12:38:31 pm »
+1
wait I'm SO confused lol. firstly due to corona is it true that the GAT still can't pull down our actual scores, it can only accelerate it?
I might be a bit out of date so someone correct me if I’m wrong but it’s never been able to “drag down” your SSs to begin with.

The whole point of the GAT is to effectively give you a back up in case you can’t/ don’t show up to your exam for whatever reason and/or something happens to your exam paper, either during or after taking the exam. For example, I had a classmate who had a blood nose over his exam paper for English and VCAA resorted to using his GAT and SAC scores to give him a DES (derived study score). Since you won’t know your GAT scores until after the exams and won’t know what happens on the day of the exam until it happens, it’s usually advised that you attempt your best at the GAT just in case. (Because who knows if you’ll have a terrible headache or fever that day and need it?) So I’m not sure about what you mean by dragging your SS down or accelerate it. It’s effectively Plan B for giving you a study score.

Given the GAT is still going on this year (just postponed until September), I would expect it to have a similar purpose, despite the coronavirus situation, as your VCE exams are still running, but in December.

also, do we have to include ALL the information or can we just group SOME info?????
I assume this is about the first writing task. I’m not 100% sure but from rereading the task and criteria again, it doesn’t really seem to care about quantity of information you include, but the quality of that writing - how well you incorporate them into your piece, how you present them, how well you understand the material provided to you and how clearly you write. This would  potentially mean that you could select a few pieces and, if you incorporate it in well enough and write deeply about said pieces of information, then you could still score well enough for that section of the GAT.

As I said though, not sure so take this with a grain of salt.

Note: Please try to avoid the caps lock next time. It usually makes you less likely to get an answer quickly.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Question about the GAT
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »
also, do we have to include ALL the information or can we just group SOME info????? SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY BACK I BEG.
Pretty sure you're gonna do better if you include it all, but maybe not. I grouped almost everything last year though and got a decent score. If you can ifnd a logical (to you at least) way of grouping things then do them. If not maybe don't. I dunno.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.