Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 01:15:26 pm

Author Topic: Should I pull an all nighter?  (Read 1383 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Should I pull an all nighter?
« on: June 16, 2020, 12:08:47 am »
Hey guys so I have my math exam next week :(
I am feeling very frightened, I was wondering if I should pull an all nighter so I can study for it? How many all nighters should I pull this week? I am really feeling the stress.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Should I pull an all nighter?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:26:36 am »
+10
I think all-nighters are generally detrimental to study.

It'll just make you tired, which will make your study efficiency and ability to retain information quite poor. In addition, you don't want to push your sleep schedule too far to abnormality close to an assessment, as you'll end up struggling to get a decent amount of sleep while still waking up at 7:30 AM (or so) for your assessment.

Use your study time for study, and use your sleep time for sleep. That'll do you more good than overloading on one.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 06:18:48 am »
+5
Fully agree with Calebark here. For a math exam, it's absolutely not worth it as your performance will suffer. As for multiple all nighters, please don't do that. Sleep deprivation has been used as a form of torture throughout history, so take that as you will.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:19:30 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 09:10:21 am »
+6
Definitely agree with what's been said here. It's so much more beneficial for you and your brain power to get some good, solid sleep before your exam. Sleep is vital for your brain to function! You're more likely to do well with good sleep than you are with the extra few hours of revision that pulling an all nighter will give you.
IMO pulling an all nighter would also potentially make your stress worse because your brain hasn't had time to recharge and it gives you more time to stress about stuff!

Good luck for your exam :) I'm sure you know a lot more than you think you do!!

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 01:24:27 pm »
Thanks guys, but I really don't know that much. I honestly am just going to mindlessly revise. I am aware that an all nighter is bad, but I am really considering it, I probably won't do it the day before the exam maybe a couple of days prior. I got this whole week to revise and then it is exam start of next week.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 02:00:00 pm »
+6
Other ways to go about it is to manage your time and use productivity apps, if you're finding that you need to pull all-nighters ^-^

I recently found that deleting both the FB app from my phone and the Sudoku app I was always procrastinating with super helpful. I spend less time on my phone, as a result, I find that I have more time during the day to do the things I need to do. I also use Forest as well - something that stops me from scrolling endlessly on Instagram and other apps too :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 04:45:08 am »
Other ways to go about it is to manage your time and use productivity apps, if you're finding that you need to pull all-nighters ^-^

I recently found that deleting both the FB app from my phone and the Sudoku app I was always procrastinating with super helpful. I spend less time on my phone, as a result, I find that I have more time during the day to do the things I need to do. I also use Forest as well - something that stops me from scrolling endlessly on Instagram and other apps too :)
Thank you for your advice, I don't feel like anything is working for me right now.

My exam is legit on Monday, so the best thing I can do is pull an all nighter now and sleep well tomorrow. Honestly I am willing to pull all nighters for math methods as long as I PASS. Which is the most important thing. Study score of 25 here I come.

Mod edit: Merged double post as per forum rules
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:18:28 am by Bri MT »