Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:36:50 pm

Author Topic: Selective School Test Q&A Thread  (Read 76292 times)  Share 

ureba

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: Selective School Test Q&A Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2021, 10:45:31 pm »
Does anyone know if Henderson practise exams are similar to the actual test?
Thanks  :D

2piguy

• Adventurer
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2021, 11:38:49 pm »
What selective school are you aiming to enter? I'm wondering if any current Yr 9 and 10's in selective schools can give a run-down of the amended exam - when I did it we had two writing tasks. The multiple choice is similar in style to Edutest scholarship tests if you have done those - many questions with little time. Hopefully in your tuition you had your exam results compared to others - if you perform better than them in all subjects that's a great indicator of success on the exam.

I recommend you practice the writing tasks, it's something hard to study for (and where I struggled) - having good structure is important! The rest is styled like an "IQ" test especially for Numerical and Verbal Reasoning.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2021, 08:48:27 am »
I am in year 8 trying out for year 9. My first preference is Macrob.
The test is on 13 and 14 November.
I haven't taken any tuitions, one of my friends gave me the practise tests :)
The test has changed this year. They cancelled the writing section this time because of Covid.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2021, 08:51:47 am »
Thank You for the tips  :D

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2021, 09:15:16 am »
Does anyone know if Henderson practise exams are similar to the actual test?
Thanks  :D

Hi ureba, I do hendersons tutoring too. I have read it's harder than the real exam and that reading/verbal and very accurate. When I did the their practice test, the maths and numerical are also reasonably accurate and had test similar to JAC, which is accurate for the maths exams. I got 2 superiors, 1 AA and I avg, with an average of 72%, which is alright. I am doing a hendersons practice exam again tomorrow, you should purchase a mock from them - they might have one left. 

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2021, 10:03:56 am »
Tysm!! I wanted to know cause I have 5 full Henderson practise exams (not sure if they're the mock ones as my friend gave them to me). I am doing them this and next week cause the test is next weekend. Are you giving the test??

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2021, 10:05:49 am »
I meant are you sitting the test this year lol

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2021, 10:11:15 am »
OH, I think they are mock exams cause they have results that were compared to other students' results as well. They tell you what score was superior in the answers. They're old exams tho. My friend didn't buy them recently.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2021, 02:40:02 pm »
Yes, I'm doing the test on the 13th of November, a little nervous about it, but also a little confident - 1/4 chance of me being selected from my school.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2021, 04:02:33 pm »
That's nice! I am doing it on the 14th lol. I think my strongest subject is Maths. I am good at English ( I get good grades at school) but I think I need more practice with reading comprehension. From my school, only 8-10 people can get in because of the 5% rule. As far as I know, I think there are only 7 people giving the test.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2021, 07:00:37 pm »
What selective school are you aiming to enter? I'm wondering if any current Yr 9 and 10's in selective schools can give a run-down of the amended exam - when I did it we had two writing tasks. The multiple choice is similar in style to Edutest scholarship tests if you have done those - many questions with little time. Hopefully in your tuition you had your exam results compared to others - if you perform better than them in all subjects that's a great indicator of success on the exam.

I recommend you practice the writing tasks, it's something hard to study for (and where I struggled) - having good structure is important! The rest is styled like an "IQ" test especially for Numerical and Verbal Reasoning.

North shore tuition only has about 10 people and tbh I easily get full marks in their maths exams and 90% in verbal and 80% in reading comp, which is the only accurate one they have (but they start to repeat the tests now because they have no material left). I am going for Nossal HS, and now the test has no writing, but all the other components are the same (also no interviews/PD category). 

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2021, 07:30:01 pm »
 Do you think they're hard like do you think they would be similar to the test? Cus many people say that practice exams are very easy compared to the actual test except for Hendersons, jac and Edu kingdom I think. Your scores are really good tho!! I am trying our for Macrob but I probably won't go. Yeha I was so happy when they cancelled the writing lol

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2021, 09:18:02 pm »
Well, from what I heard, Hendersons is accurate for the english exams and JAC for the maths ones, and the practice tests on the department of education website are considerably easier than the real exam. I was also a bit worried about the writing, because on a website (I think it was exam success), it said even if you get all superiors but an avg in the writing, you might not get a spot. Anyways, good luck trying out for Macrob

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2021, 09:24:16 pm »
Yeah, I've heard that too. I was worried too for the writing part lol. Good luck to you too :D

beAn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2021, 02:05:43 pm »
Can I bring my G Shock watch (Digital), I am just a bit confused because it is not a smartwatch.