Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:41 am

Author Topic: math methods prerequisite  (Read 1275 times)  Share 

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
math methods prerequisite
« on: August 29, 2020, 02:20:17 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,
I’m interested in the bachelor of science but haven’t done math methods for my VCE. I’m in year 11 and missed the chance to do 1/2 and have been advised not to do 3/4. I want to do the calculus and probability online course to satisfy the prerequisite instead- is it impossible for me to pass it? Anyone had experience with it? I’m willing to put the time and effort for that course.

Thanks guys :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: math methods prerequisite
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »
+2
Haven’t done it myself, but I doubt they would make the course impossible to do, as that would defeat the purpose of the course.

In terms of options:
- you can do the bridging course
- you can do another course at Melbourne uni that doesn’t need it (eg Bachelor of Arts), and transfer after a semester
- you could start a Bachelor of Science elsewhere and transfer after a semester
- you could take Methods U3/4 via VSV (Distance education) and skip this issue entirely, though you’d have quite a bit to catch up on.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

jazzie1999

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:08:26 am »
+5
Ive done Calculus and Probability online and I was also in the same situation- zero methods background knowledge. I managed to get an overall score of 92% so it’s definitely possible and not an extremely hard course (I studied the methods 1/2 textbook for around a month before I started the course). They have several intakes, I completed it in the first half of the year after I completed year twelve and then applied for a mid year intake. Otherwise you can also do it during year 12 or an intensive just after year 12 (will be able to start uni in sem 1). Although it’s not the hardest course, it is definitely worthwhile familiarising yourself with some methods 1/2 knowledge (buy any second hand textbook) as it will make the course a lot less stressful. The course is very fair, the amount of study you do should reflect your results and I never thought it was an unreasonably difficult course but it is also not easy. It is fast and you will definitely need to dedicate some time for studying (It’s basically all of 3/4 methods in 2-3 months!). It is entirely achievable to pass this course with no background knowledge so long as you put some work in! Good luck for the rest of your studies and feel free to ask any questions!! :)

Unknown-111

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:35:11 am »
I am interested in this as well, is it possible to enrol in that course twice? For instance, I did it once and failed it, can I do it again and again and again until I pass? Also will that satisfy the prerequisite for other universities as well?

jazzie1999

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:03:04 pm »
I am interested in this as well, is it possible to enrol in that course twice? For instance, I did it once and failed it, can I do it again and again and again until I pass? Also will that satisfy the prerequisite for other universities as well?
I do not see why that would be an issue. You would still have to pay each time though. I am not sure if other universities accept it, it would probably be a good idea to contact them.