Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:10:42 am

Author Topic: Studies of Religion: Hinduism Essay  (Read 1007 times)

Niylesh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Studies of Religion: Hinduism Essay
« on: October 05, 2020, 07:31:23 pm »
+1
Hi! Would anyone be able to help me edit this Hinduism Essay? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks! :)
I understand this isn't the best extended response (not enough words and many areas for improvement) but it was my first attempt after a very long time :D

"The fire of knowledge burns to ashes all Karma” (Bhagavad Gita 4:37)"
→ How does the knowledge of Hindu ethical teachings guide adherents in their daily living? (20 marks)

The doctrine of Hindu ethical teachings is largely governed by the rites of passage one takes during one’s spiritual and religious journey. Living in accordance to the guidelines of Hindu sexual ethics allows an adherent to show self-control and further shape their spiritual journey for the afterlife. As such, the knowledge attained from one’s commitment to Hindu ethical teachings ultimately guides adherents in their daily living, evidenced in the teachings on marriage, homosexuality and celibacy.

In Hinduism, marriage is regarded as a sacrament - harmonizing two individuals for ultimate eternity, an important step in the life journey, and a reflection of the Divine. Commonly based on astrological interpretation, varna (caste) and family backgrounds, marriage serves a treble purpose of the promotion of religion, the bringing of children into the world and the expression of sexual pleasure. In Hinduism, matrimonial sexual activity (Kama) is seen as an important dimension of human experience, guiding adherents in their daily living by encouraging “one to have taken a bath, be adorned with a garland and perfume and be in an aroused and affectionate mood, not disturbed by anxiety” (Vishnu Purana 3:11:114). It is also the blueprint to accumulate good karma, lead a successful Dharma and experience a peaceful exit from Samsara to Moksha. As such, coordination between the inherent values of the Universe (Dharma, Artha and Kama) consequent in the path for human fulfillment and a satisfying, balanced existence. Thus the knowledge of Hindu ethical teachings guides adherents in their daily living.

Due to conflicting perspectives, homosexuality is considered a taboo in Hindu society, due to the uncertainty of its acceptance theoretically and practically. Sexuality in Hinduism has been influences by divine myths and written texts about how individuals should conduct themselves, although at times there are often contradictions. The Hindu sacred texts refer to a third gender; however in view of the fact it does not explicitly refer to individuals attracted to the same sex, it cannot be presumed that homosexuality ultimately fits within the framework of Hindu philosophy. The Upanishads depict homosexuality as impure and encourages adherents “never to mix with the impure in mid or body” (Yama 10) and further delineates it as being potentially accumulating bad karma by limiting an individuals capacity to fulfill their Dharma (as a householder - ‘Grihastha’) of reproducing as well as contradicting one of the seven vows in a Hindu marriage of the promise of having children within a faithful marriage. Thus the knowledge of Hindu ethical teachings guides adherents in their daily living.

For Hindus, celibacy is considered to be the ideal state during studentship (Brahmacharya), in retirement (Vanaprastha) and in renunciation (Sannyasi), seen as an approach to achieve self-realisation. As it is considered a virtue and essential for changing sexual energy into spiritual energy, it was essential for men who studied the Vedas to turn one’s attention inward and realise one’s divine nature. Emerging from the development of the monastic movements in Hindu history, practicing celibacy enabled individuals to advance themselves both educationally and spiritually. That being so, while celibacy was seen as important moral value for students and priests as a means of spiritual transformation, it is inconsistent with the societal truth of obtaining success in everything by attending to Dharma, Artha and Kama. By observing celibacy, individuals who renunciate of all sexual pleasure were limiting their accumulation of good karma, a significant principle of Hinduism, and thus communicating the Hindu emphasis upon marriage and commitment.

In summary, the knowledge of Hindu ethical teachings guides adherents in their daily living, evidenced in its teachings of marriage, homosexuality and celibacy.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Studies of Religion: Hinduism Essay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 07:42:35 pm »
+1
Hey! I don't do HSC but I just wanted to let you know that I'm Hindu and I've learnt a lot from your essay! Sex is such a taboo topic for us, I had no idea that in our religion it's given such a huge importance in terms of the dimension of human existence or leads to a successful Dharma. Thank you for your essay, it reminded me to be more spiritual in these dark and lonely times (I'm Victorian so we're still in the world's biggest lockdown ahaha). I'm feeling inspired to reread some Hindu works after reading your essay, I haven't touched spiritual books like the Bhagavad Geetha in like 3 years. All the best for your studies!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips