Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:05:17 am

Author Topic: Is it important to have friends in your VCE class?  (Read 984 times)  Share 

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Is it important to have friends in your VCE class?
« on: November 17, 2021, 11:41:15 am »
Hey everyone,

I would be in Year 10 next year and had just received my timetable and class for Methods 1&2 and Biology 1&2 in which I accelerated in. Upon looking at my classes I came to the realisation that no other Year 10's would be in my class. I can always try to make new friends with the Year 11's, but lately, I've been feeling introverted and quite uncomfortable with the idea of making new friends. Is it important to have friends in your VCE class? Even if I had friends would I be given any class time to communicate with them?
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Is it important to have friends in your VCE class?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:35:08 pm »
+4
Hey everyone,

I would be in Year 10 next year and had just received my timetable and class for Methods 1&2 and Biology 1&2 in which I accelerated in. Upon looking at my classes I came to the realisation that no other Year 10's would be in my class. I can always try to make new friends with the Year 11's, but lately, I've been feeling introverted and quite uncomfortable with the idea of making new friends. Is it important to have friends in your VCE class? Even if I had friends would I be given any class time to communicate with them?
Having friends in your class may help you a little bit and also make your class more enjoyable but not having friends in your class shouldn't be a reason you change classes if these are the subjects you want to do.

Whether you will have class time to communicate with them would be dependent on your teacher's teaching style. For biology, my teachers kind of took a lecture-style format so there was very little communication between students but for methods where students often work in their own time there was more room for collaboration.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Is it important to have friends in your VCE class?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 12:45:04 pm »
+4
I had a similar situation where I accelerated various subjects for years e.g. General Maths and Psych in Year 10.

Honestly, no it’s not hugely important whether you have friends or not in the class. The real benefit of having friends in a class is that you have someone on the same bandwagon as you, so it’s more enjoyable that way. (There’s also a benefit in not having friends in the same class as that can be distracting sometimes.)

Even if I had friends would I be given any class time to communicate with them?
Probably not, unless it’s group work and you’re working with them. It’s pretty much very similar to having mates in your class in high school.

P.S. This is a pretty normal situation for uni students to be in where some students are a year older (or more) or every class has people you’ve never met before. In a way, you can think of this situation as practise.

Note: Sine posted as I was typing but leaving this here anyway.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread