Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:36:04 am

Author Topic: Questions about VCE  (Read 1683 times)  Share 

justaperson_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Questions about VCE
« on: January 29, 2022, 08:31:30 pm »
Hiyo! I am a year 9 students going to nossal and I wanted to ask some questions about VCE.

Firstly, could you give a quick review for each subject you did  and how you felt about doing them?

How much did you study?

I am a bit confused about this. So when you learn the content (from textbooks), do you learn every single chapter or just certain ones?

I was thinking of doing Asian 5, methods, spesh, physics, chem, English and Jap SL. Any thoughts?

I was thinking studying methods now (more as self interest), should I ?

Any tips when studying chemistry?

Thoughts on tutoring?

Normal Eng or Eng lang?

Thoughts about doing a 1&2 in year 10?

A bit of a better explanation on SACS please?

But yeah I’ll just say thanks in advance. You can choose to ignore these questions or even just answer a few. Thanks once again  :)

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: Questions about VCE
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 08:44:46 pm »
+1
"Firstly, could you give a quick review for each subject you did  and how you felt about doing them?"

Pretty much summarised here, will write a full review for each of these on the VCE subject reviews board when I get time to do so: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=181733.msg1199418#msg1199418

"How much did you study?"

1.5-3 hr/day in year 11 and 12, can be quite variable eg can be up to 5 hr/day when cramming for exams

"I am a bit confused about this. So when you learn the content (from textbooks), do you learn every single chapter or just certain ones?"

Different teachers have different styles, some teachers find that a certain chapter doesn't teach the concept adequately so they make their own resources/direct you to an alternate resource. Note that you shouldn't take the textbooks as the holy grail since they're just some people (the author's) interpretation of the VCE study designs.

"I was thinking of doing Asian 5, methods, spesh, physics, chem, English and Jap SL. Any thoughts?"

Try to accelerate 1 or 2 of these.

"I was thinking studying methods now (more as self interest), should I ?"

If you're absolutely certain you're OK with year 9 and 10 maths, knock yourself out with 1/2 (and maybe ask your school if you're allowed to accelerate it in year 11)

"Any tips when studying chemistry?"

I've just recently gave someone else a list of my chem tips: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=196203.msg1201245#msg1201245

"Thoughts on tutoring?"

May or may not be necessary, I didn't get tutored myself and had trouble getting the mid-high 40s in STEM subjects

"Normal Eng or Eng lang?"

STEM orientated peeps usually do eng lang, normal Eng has been sh*t forever and always, but since the cohort is weaker, it's easier to do well in terms of raw scores.

"Thoughts about doing a 1&2 in year 10?"

DO. IT. Acceleration will help your time management so much, especially given that you're doing some really heavy-duty subjects.

"A bit of a better explanation on SACS please?"

School tests that count towards your final study score. Note that unit 1/2 SACs aren't real SACs, some schools think it's a good idea to scare year 10s/year 11s with the name "SAC" just so we get used to it in year 12.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:55:59 pm by Billuminati »
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

justaperson_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 09:14:32 pm »
Ahhhh TYSM for all the help! I really appreciate it!

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 11:08:35 am »
I doubt you can accelerate at Nossal with those subjects but if they ever allow you to do so, then do it (unless you don't want to sleep in yr 11 and 12)