Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 08:50:25 pm

Author Topic: Macbeth --> any general tips?  (Read 792 times)

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
  • "I am not afraid to walk this world alone" - MCR
  • Respect: +22
Macbeth --> any general tips?
« on: June 14, 2022, 07:41:15 pm »
Hello all.

To all those who did Macbeth in year 12, could you please give me some general tips/advice to do well?

I really wanna do well on my EA, and I want to prepare for it from the start.

Thanks,
 - jinx_58
Class of 2022!
Currently doing Unit 4: QCE
Physics || Chemistry ||Methods || General English || Ancient History || Religion & Ethics
My Year 12 QCE Journal!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Macbeth --> any general tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 02:12:01 pm »
+3
Hello all.

To all those who did Macbeth in year 12, could you please give me some general tips/advice to do well?

I really wanna do well on my EA, and I want to prepare for it from the start.

Thanks,
 - jinx_58

I didn't do Macbeth in Year 12, but here are 5 miscellaneous tips from a big Macbeth fan: ;D

1. Read/watch summaries of the play until you understand the basic plot points. Jumping straight into the Shakespeare is bound to be confusing, so don't stress about plot spoilers - try to understand the basics before you actually get into the play. There are hundreds to choose from; I quite like Dr Aidan's videos but a quick google/youtube search will bring up plenty of options.

2. Watch a version of the play (while reading it to make sure it's a faithful adaptation). There are a few on YouTube; see if you can find a staged theatre production as opposed to a movie since that'll be more in line with what Shakespeare intended. This does mean things will be less cinematic, and come versions of the witches in scary costumes running around on stage are a bit silly, but you just have to use your imagination :D

3. Go through the No Fear Shakespeare (online or in study guide form) which will give you an 'English translation' line-by-line. This ensures you understand the gist of the text and can explain any confusing allusions.

4. Make your own resources: scene summaries, a character map, a list of who kills who, character profiles that explain everyone's relationships and motivations - whatever you find most useful! Later, you might also want to start a quote bank and build up a repository of evidence you can use in your essays.

5. Ask questions! Is Lady Macbeth insane? Who is the most powerful person in the play? Why does Duncan trust Macbeth? Why does Macduff support Malcolm? Why does Macbeth go insane? What are the witches even doing?? This is where you start unpacking the text - some of these things are questions you'll find answers to while studying, and others will be 'big picture' questions that you could debate endlessly (and might even turn into full essays for your EA!)

Beyond that, let us know if there's anything in particular you're worried about for Macbeth or the EA and I might be able to give some more specific advice.

Good luck (and have fun - I promise it's a great play!)