Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:07:41 am

Author Topic: IS LAW THE RIGHT COURSE???  (Read 14276 times)  Share 

costargh

Re: IS LAW THE RIGHT COURSE???
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:13 pm »
People on here watch way too much American television!!!

psychlaw

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:42:32 pm »
A solicitor still needs excellent communication skills, since they're the ones who interview clients and they're the ones who have to make sure they get as many facts as possible, especially when it comes to difficult clients.

Hence, public speaking if you want to practice law, whether as a solicitor, barrister or judge.
but still thats communication skills :) not exactly public speaking :P
lol I probably shouldn't go against what you say because your the one whose doing law not me, haha

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »
hmm i got another Q though, is it advisable to do an arts degree along with your law degree so that you can improve your public speaking?
I don't think an arts degree really provides much opportunity for public speaking, unless you choose to major in drama or something lol ... I think I've done maybe one tutorial presentation for international studies and that's it
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 10:34:06 am »
For arts tutorial presentations, it's usually irrelevant how you speak anyway, they try to judge solely on content (at least, in my experience).

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:18:16 pm »

I'm somewhat attracted to law for it's in-the-moment, competitive side; arts is more of an ongoing discourse [though you can always have an impromptu debate, I suppose]. I'd have to try and determine how much of law I'd enjoy and how transferable the knowledge and skills are, if I was going to do it.
 Pity they don't have mooting here where you can join in even if you don't do Law, like they do at Oxford http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ2320/Univ%20MootSoc/Mooting.html

ninwa

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:22:02 pm »
For arts tutorial presentations, it's usually irrelevant how you speak anyway, they try to judge solely on content (at least, in my experience).
Ditto for mooting, the judge chooses the winning team based on the law

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:12 pm »
whats mooting?

costargh

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:59 pm »
A moot is a simulated appeal in a superior court, based on a mock fact scenario and judgment from a lower court. No witnesses, just good old fashioned legal argument about whether or not the lower court decision was correct.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 08:46:12 pm »
Hehe, much like the process of Overruling. (Except all facts are real)

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »
A moot is a simulated appeal in a superior court, based on a mock fact scenario and judgment from a lower court. No witnesses, just good old fashioned legal argument about whether or not the lower court decision was correct.

wow that sounds fun :)

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 10:09:27 pm »

I'm somewhat attracted to law for it's in-the-moment, competitive side; arts is more of an ongoing discourse [though you can always have an impromptu debate, I suppose]. I'd have to try and determine how much of law I'd enjoy and how transferable the knowledge and skills are, if I was going to do it.
 Pity they don't have mooting here where you can join in even if you don't do Law, like they do at Oxford http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ2320/Univ%20MootSoc/Mooting.html
? They have mooting at ANU - though it's predominantly law students who take part.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 02:06:30 am »
hey, I was considering applying for a law degree next year, after year 12. I no that I will get the marks required but im not sure if law is right for me. I did legal studies and good real good marks for that and enjoyed it. Could you please give me some feedback on what you think of your uni course, institution, the workload and the amount of contact hours and days that you have to attend uni. Im not sure what uni I would go to, I was thinking Deakin Melbourne (Burwood). If there are any deakin students could you please tell me about the Uni and what it is like. Thanks for commenting back, if u do. 

While you've deleted your account, I'll add my two cents:

My philosophy is if you're asking 'IS COURSE X THE RIGHT COURSE???' (going simply by the thread title), then the answer is 'probably not'. Nor can we answer that question for you.

A good course is where you know what discipline (but maybe not specific course) you want to get into. Judging from what you've said about your enjoyment of legal studies, then perhaps it may be a good course for you.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

lacoste

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »
which one will have a greater chance of employment (overseas inc) and worth the years spent in uni:(which degree combo is more worthy) Note: the academic result is the same.

Melbourne Uni: Commerce + JD= ~5.2-6 years

or

Monash Uni: Commerce + Bachelor of Laws ~5 to 5.5 years

Note: if you got an ENTER of 99.5 would you go to monash or melbourne in this scenario. ??

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 06:28:18 pm »
UoM

they are better recognised, and you would graduate with a masters (i think?)

unless its inconvenient, I'd go for the prestige and higher qualification.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

ninwa

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 06:30:50 pm »
I would go Monash commerce/law because:
1. You have to do the LSAT to get into the JD
2. You need consistently excellent results in commerce to get into JD, and in case I bombed out I don't want to "waste" (for lack of a better word - by no means am I suggesting that commerce degrees are bad) my ENTER score on just a commerce degree when I could have had commerce AND law degrees

But I'd go UoM because:
1. Breadth (yes I actually like this idea, UoM students please don't shoot me)
2. I think you'd get a scholarship if you got 99.55 (?)