Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:52:16 pm

Author Topic: MMI Info [Monash 2011]  (Read 34375 times)  Share 

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: MMI Info
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 11:36:15 pm »
I don't see why anyone would do Med for the money. Go go Dent if you want money. It's even easier to get into. You earn more and you start raking it in immediately after you graduate; not bloody like 10 years after you do.

Yeah, people have this big misconception (well some, especially those who havent done their homework) that its a huge cash cow. I lurk around studentdoctornet (among other forums) and there are dentists there too; the dentists from what I've heard make close to what a doctor makes, it really is a lot of money. If you go into orthodontics and open your own practice with a high volume you could pull close to a million apparently (braces are expensive) or go and get a commerce degree.

What ive learnt over time, to do medicine and survive, you really need to be in it for the medicine.

Fair assessment youd say?

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »
I don't see why anyone would do Med for the money. Go go Dent if you want money. It's even easier to get into. You earn more and you start raking it in immediately after you graduate; not bloody like 10 years after you do.

+1.

Could you paste that email? Im just interested in reading.

We'll i *love* biology especially the human side, so i thought, how can i apply this to a job, now my uncle was a biochemist and one of the biology teachers (not mine) was involved in research and i talked to them. I dont really want to sit around in a lab all day or things like that, im more of a people person. So, that kind of led me to medicine.

Of course, the cliche answer almost everyone else gives, i want to help people.

And you?

sure i'll go search my inbox, it was so long ago ha.
okay that makes sense. glad to know you don't have wrong reasons or anything:))
well i actually am strange in the way that i love absolutely everything about medicine both studying it and afterwards... which includes the long hours, etc. yes.. i'm strange, but i'm sure i will find my dislikes somewhere along the line probably to do with the health system which i've read so much about it's frustrating ways.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 11:40:21 pm »
okay here it is

The Monash University Undergraduate Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery course run at Clayton Campus,  is only offered to secondary school leavers (and for up to two years after) who have not undertaken any other studies at a tertiary level.

Monash also does not accept transfers into the MBBS course either from other Universities or courses.

To be a successful candidate for the undergraduate MBBS program at Monash University, Clayton campus, you will need to have a high study score of at least 35 in English (ESL) or 30 in both English and Chemistry, as well as a total ENTER score in the high 90's.  We will not consider anyone with an ENTER (or it's equivalent) below 90.

You will need to register for and sit the UMAT (Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admissions Test), achieving a high score.  You register for the UMAT in the 1st Semester of your final secondary school year and sit the UMAT in July.  We recommend getting the practice questions and exams from ACER. They are available at a cost and are very worthwhile. Neither the university or ACER support any other UMAT training schemes or courses.

Since 2007 we have been using a new scoring system called the *OVERALL* score.  You will have this *Overall* score shown on your personal results sheet, which is sent to you. This year the cut off score was 61, but please know that we will interview the top 600 UMAT scoring students for the undergraduate MBBS course at Monash University, Clayton.  Here are their contact details:

Web: www.umatweb.acer.edu.au
Phone:  9277 5673

Your application for the MBBS will need to be done through VTAC (Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre).  The closing date is 5pm on the Wednesday the 30th of September 2009, to give you a time line.  
VTAC opens for applications at the beginning of August.  Here are their contact details:

VTAC
Web:  www.vtac.edu.au
Phone:  1300 364 133

Once you have applied through VTAC and have completed your UMAT, if your score is above the required level then we may offer you an interview.

Monash University has a 3 stage selection process for undergraduate medicine at Clayton:
1. UMAT
2. Interview
3. ENTER

Only if you do well in all three stages of the selection process (UMAT, ENTER and interview) may we consider you for a place. The interview is weighted the heaviest.

There is also the section on the Extended Rural Cohort which is available as a medicine stream (VTAC Code: 28151).
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/medical/northernvic/

And the scholarships site
http://www.monash.edu.au/study/scholarships/

Upon individual application students may be able  to defer their place for 1 year providing they do not undertake any tertiary study during that deferment year.  Applications are made direct to the Monash University MBBS Admissions department upon receiving an offer of a place in the undergraduate Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery course at Monash University, Clayton campus.

For on-campus accommodation please see the attached flier. It is advisable to apply before October for a place in one of these sites as vacancies fill quickly, and if you wait until receiving an offer of a place in the course, you may miss out on accommodation  on campus.

The fees website is as follows:

http://www.monash.edu.au/fees/

love monash - they are so helpful baha
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »
yeah, high enter is certainly desirable, unless you want to be given an ERC place.  According to the MedEntry guy, the median enter for mbbs was 98.  tbh, this is not really that hard, especially if you've got a couple of nice study scores already in the bank from year 11.

it is the umat which is the killer.  i've been trying a fair bit lately, and atm, i don't seem to be improving that much.  and even if i do make it through somehow, interview looks daunting, in a sense that i don't know if i can crap on long enough for the questions they ask, not stumble or say something stupid.

imo, enter/vce is the least of my worries, it is the other stuff which will be a killer.
i agree with vexx, med is ridiculously hard to get into.  i have no idea how i am supposed to beat like 95% of students on the umat.  these people are like the best of the best.

i've always found school rather easy, but this is something i am finding extremely difficult...
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 11:53:13 pm »
Thanks!

Where do you send emails like that anyway, i was looking around their site before for contacts but it said it was only for people currently enrolled in the course.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
Although the median is (apparently) 98, I really don't think a high ENTER is required. It just happens that most people who end up doing well on the UMAT tend to have a good ENTER as well. I know a handful of people with lowish ENTERs who just aced the other two parts instead.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 12:04:32 am »
Do BMP & ERC actually have lower requirements written into them as part of the placement or is that just how it works out in the end? (if anyone knows)

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 12:06:58 am »
shinny, when you were doing medentry prac exams,  roughly what percentiles were you getting?
just want to know where I am roughly, because with the medentry percentiles,  you are only compared to other medentry students, and obviously your percentile is actually higher because if you compared yourself to the whole cohort, many of whom don't do any umat prep, you would actually score higher...

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
Re: MMI Info [Monash 2011]
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 12:08:43 am »
Or so you'd assume, i think someone on this forum in the tutoring section (allegedly) got 99th percentile without any prep, theres only so much you can improve on it due to its nature

(im interested in the answer too though)

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

stonecold

• Victorian
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 12:10:30 am »
^again, something they told us in medentry.  they said the percentiles they give us will be lower than our actual percentiles because of the reason i just mentioned...

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 12:15:39 am »
Do BMP & ERC actually have lower requirements written into them as part of the placement or is that just how it works out in the end? (if anyone knows)

Pretty sure that's just how it works out. I'm pretty certain Monash has more than enough applicants to just choose the top performing applicants.

shinny, when you were doing medentry prac exams,  roughly what percentiles were you getting?
just want to know where I am roughly, because with the medentry percentiles,  you are only compared to other medentry students, and obviously your percentile is actually higher because if you compared yourself to the whole cohort, many of whom don't do any umat prep, you would actually score higher...

Can't really remember. It was lower than what I got in the end though for the same reasoning as you stated.

Or so you'd assume, i think someone on this forum in the tutoring section (allegedly) got 99th percentile without any prep, theres only so much you can improve on it due to its nature

(im interested in the answer too though)
Well that's them. Just because they didn't do any doesn't mean you should do the same. Practicing IS going to help. Sure, people score high without doing any practice, but are you going to take the chance? Just do what you can.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 12:21:39 am »
I don't have enough confident (some may say arrogance) in my natural talent to not undertake any preparation anyway.

Don't worry, i'm not silly :-) .

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 01:10:58 am »
Thanks!

Where do you send emails like that anyway, i was looking around their site before for contacts but it said it was only for people currently enrolled in the course.

that email was sent from [email protected] so email them with questions the head of admissions is really helpful (thats who replied to me)

yeah, high enter is certainly desirable, unless you want to be given an ERC place.  According to the MedEntry guy, the median enter for mbbs was 98.  tbh, this is not really that hard, especially if you've got a couple of nice study scores already in the bank from year 11.

it is the umat which is the killer.  i've been trying a fair bit lately, and atm, i don't seem to be improving that much.  and even if i do make it through somehow, interview looks daunting, in a sense that i don't know if i can crap on long enough for the questions they ask, not stumble or say something stupid.

imo, enter/vce is the least of my worries, it is the other stuff which will be a killer.
i agree with vexx, med is ridiculously hard to get into.  i have no idea how i am supposed to beat like 95% of students on the umat.  these people are like the best of the best.

i've always found school rather easy, but this is something i am finding extremely difficult...

yeah the umat is the worst, it's so stressful and like it's nothing like school also in the sense that you have no idea whether your answer was right or wrong unless you are presented an answer and some of them are ridiculous where your answer is right since it's just a slightly different intepretation. i fear i will do horrible and my plans of undergrad will be ruined, i think we share that same fear stonecold;) except im more certain that you will get a higher enter then me haha but still!

naved_s9994

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 01:12:17 am »
Watch, this year it will be different .
Like many have said on this forum.. ENTEr is not their primary selection catch..
They're looking for good doc's and they will pick them out PREETY dam well in the MMI
'Keep you friends close, but keep your enemies closer'

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 01:42:55 am »
Yes, especially this year, because monash hasnt run a MMI before so no one will (well should outside of monash faculty) have an idea of the questions and couldnt possibly study for them or anything like that.

So, especially this in 2011, the MMI will be fantastic.

I cant see a way an enter could correlate to a good doctor, someone who gets 80 might be fantastic and just might of messed up one subject. If you dont study hard, theyll catch you later on in the degree anyway. The whole university admission system is flawed but thats for another thread..

[Thanks but i already found the correct email  :laugh:]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:45:46 am by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----