Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 06:53:25 pm

Author Topic: What can science lead you to?  (Read 5838 times)  Share 

Mr Edwards

What can science lead you to?
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »
What can a 3 year bachelor of science course lead one to become if they were to end their education after the course?

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: What can science lead you to?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:02 pm »
What can a 3 year bachelor of science course lead one to become if they were to end their education after the course?

A wide variety of jobs or further research options.  All depends on what you're interested in, what you genuinely want to pursue and ultimately, what you major in.

Perhaps we can help you.  What fields of science are you interested in?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:58:04 pm »
this is more for the biomed type sciences. don't know about the other ones like maths etc...

Researcher
Industry

are the main types i can think of although you really do need either an honours or masters to become a research assistant otherwise your stuck as a technician doing crappy jobs.. and it will increase your chance of getting a job in industry as well

and theres there other spin offs
like Biotech or Pharmaceutical Rep... a scientific writer... and then theres like the business sides to things...teaching of course... and others like patent law but i think you got to do more study into that.

http://bitesizebio.com/2008/01/03/alternative-careers-for-scientists/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:20:30 pm by TrueLight »
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Mr Edwards

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »
Perhaps we can help you.  What fields of science are you interested in?

umm...i'm not sure :-\
i'm doing yr 12 now and i like bio and chem and I can see myself doing something related though not too sure what exactly.
how much more in-depth does the course go with these subjects?
Is the first year bio and chem a lot more complex than VCE level? Or is it just basically a repeat of it?
Also, how qualified can you be in your job with only 3 years of study? Does this restrict in how competent you can become in your chosen profession?

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:25:05 pm »
first year is pretty much like vce with a few things added in
its in your second and third years you learn much more

if you like bio + chem

you can do biochem!

i havent done any biochem but they use a lot of molecular techniques like micro students.

in my sense of it ... its better or at least increases your skills set as well as the likelihood of being employed somewhere half decent if you do further study

skim through the biochem honours projects if the stuff there interests you then you'll probably like biochem... it has pretty pictures
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/biochem/teaching/honours-book2011.pdf
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:34:29 pm by TrueLight »

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Mr Edwards

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:37:10 pm »

So basically if you have a strong foundation in year 12 chem and bio would first year be a waste of time? If I were to just get the textbooks for 2nd year science would I have trouble with it? is it possible to skip first year science?

if you like bio + chem
you can do biochem!

what can biochem lead you to? is this a second year subject for science? :)

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:47 pm »
well its not a waste of time because you learn how uni is like and the types of assignments you do etc.

you don't really need textbooks unless your using it often.. just borrow

hmm you probably won't struggle because they go through the basics at the beginning of second year to refresh your memory

you can't skip first year science... they are prerequisite units for second year.

biochemistry is a major you can do
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2010handbooks/aos/sci-ug-biochemistry.html

jobs would be the same as my previous post

maybe troll through these threads where Bsc was dicussed. although it doesn't add much more
http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,28421.30.html
http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,7953.msg98741.html#msg98741
http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,27312.60.html
http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,28587.msg298040.html#msg298040
http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,20462.0.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:45:27 am by TrueLight »

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »

So basically if you have a strong foundation in year 12 chem and bio would first year be a waste of time? If I were to just get the textbooks for 2nd year science would I have trouble with it? is it possible to skip first year science?

if you like bio + chem
you can do biochem!

what can biochem lead you to? is this a second year subject for science? :)

VCE Chem and Biol is not as similar as you think compared to first year. First year subjects exposes you to a wider range of fields whereas VCE subjects focus on basic skills/concepts (e.g. doing stoichiometry over and over). Not to mention there will be different teaching and learning methods you will have to get used to in first year

Biochem is a specific field and majoring in it leads to further research or medical research.
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:58:29 pm »
well i did the nooby chem in first year and it was vce again maybe the other chm was much harder lol ... bio there is vce aspects in there
i dunno maybe cause i did them a while ago but yeah i just remember thinking we were learning similar things in vce

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:29 am »
There were so much plants and animals in first year Biol I nearly died.
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:11:49 am »
haha yeah ... i remember dissecting a toad! and there were eggs in them ewww lol
urgh plants chuck up... although in virology we're isolating rna from virus infected plants and doing rt-pcr to detect it but yes plants are chuck up yuck

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:11 am »
If you decide to stop your education after getting your Bsc your opportunities are pretty limited to mainly assisting people in labs, i know that sounds pretty clear cut but thats how it is. You wont be leading any cutting edge research teams or getting an uber high paid job (bsc in chem doing analytical is like 60k ).

I'd really recommend going for higher education and getting a masters or PHD in something, thats where its at.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 12:17:40 am »
so Mr Edwards you still thinking of doing BSc?

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 01:40:23 am »
tbh... just doing science (i'm not that informed on other areas of science so i'll talk about the maths aspect of sci) won't really get you anywhere, except maybe after getting a phd you could do research or become a lecturer and if you are lucky (with good grades) you might be able to go into the commerce industry.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 02:32:04 pm »
1st year subjects are really important because they'll introduce new concepts that you've never covered at school. When we say that it's just an extension of VCE, we mean that it's still the same amount of work. Just because you spend a week revising material from the last 12 months, doesn't mean you can cruise along. They're not hard, but you can't just skip straight to 2nd year (it's like going from year 10 to year 12).

Just a BSc won't really get you to a high paid job, you'll need some sort of graduate degree given the way the job market's going these days. Last year, chemistry graduates had a 77% employment rate and the average "biological sciences" wage was $45k for a first year out BSc graduate. (took those numbers from graduatecareers)

haha yeah ... i remember dissecting a toad! and there were eggs in them ewww lol

Dissecting a pregnant rat is where it's at. Swear to god, that thing had about a dozen babies in its horns, ugh.