Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 11, 2024, 10:02:04 pm

Author Topic: How did/do you study for Legal?  (Read 6857 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: How did/do you study for Legal?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »
Will do questions from the textbook and Legal Notes to be sure that I am applying my knowledge correctly.

Handwriting (never been one for typing) summary/revision notes before SACS and might try the flashcard method.

I'm doing the same as you.

Though, how would you break up the study design into each AOS?

flash36

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 07:07:52 pm »
Many questions in Legal explicitly ask you to regurgitate knowledge you have onto the paper, word for word. For example court/VCAT list jurisidctions, structure of parliament etc etc. Unlike for instance Business Management, there are no/very few case studies you'll come across where you have to "apply" knowledge as such.

Break up the study design into outcomes, and then divide again if necessary. For example often there is a 40 mark outcome then a 60 mark outcome, but it's likely your school will divide the 60 mark outcome into 2 SACs. So split that outcome into two AOS.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »
Break up the study design into outcomes, and then divide again if necessary. For example often there is a 40 mark outcome then a 60 mark outcome, but it's likely your school will divide the 60 mark outcome into 2 SACs. So split that outcome into two AOS.

I think I already know my outcomes. I have 3 written SACs for Unit 3 - 25%, 50% and 25%. Presumably they total to 100 marks. Should I be assuming that?.. that's what it clearly says on my school's course outline.

flash36

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »
Yep, same as my Unit 3 this year. First SAC is 30 marks, second one is 40, third one is 30.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 10:19:39 am »
I've got a another question; how did people go about studying for SACs?

Generally prior to SACs, I'd read over/type my notes up, do my school's past SACs + do the relevant questions from "A+ Notes" and other guides. What would people suggest doing?.. I'm planning to use flash cards as well (this time for SACs). Any pointers?

Obviously, this is a subjective thing and it depends on the individual; I was hoping to get some views.

Thanks.

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:11 am »

Generally prior to SACs, I'd read over/type my notes up, do my school's past SACs + do the relevant questions from "A+ Notes" and other guides. What would people suggest doing?.. I'm planning to use flash cards as well (this time for SACs). Any pointers?

Obviously, this is a subjective thing and it depends on the individual; I was hoping to get some views.

Thanks.

That's pretty much what I did.

Another way of studying that I found to be useful when recalling information from flash cards was to actually say the information out loud.
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 10:54:39 am »

Thanks.

That's pretty much what I did.

Another way of studying that I found to be useful when recalling information from flash cards was to actually say the information out loud.

Thanks for the tip!

flash36

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 03:29:11 pm »
Lots of rote learning.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »
^ This. I had 68 pages of notes I just read and re-read. Only netted me a 38 though :(
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2010, 09:25:45 pm »
My teacher says the key to Legal Studies is understanding the work, not memorising it.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2010, 09:39:28 pm »
Legal's a ROTE-learning subject, I don't think just memorising large chunks of information by itself, will get you anywhere. It's applying what you know to that specific question. Don't ramble on when it's not necessary (i.e. including information which isn't necessary). That's really the approach I'm taking into Legal in 2011.

flash36

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »
Legal's a ROTE-learning subject, I don't think just memorising large chunks of information by itself, will get you anywhere. It's applying what you know to that specific question. Don't ramble on when it's not necessary (i.e. including information which isn't necessary). That's really the approach I'm taking into Legal in 2011.

I would have to say alot of it is rote learning mate, like I said in another thread, Legals is different from Business Management for example because you are not generally asked to apply knowledge as such, instead regurgitate information. For example, the 10 mark question I did on this year's exam asked to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of parliament; so, your mind immediately thinks of the 5 strengths and their corresponding weaknesses that you memorised back in April, and you write it down eloquently. I got a 10/10 for that question. There is very little application of knowledge, rather it is recounting things you've learnt.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:23 pm »
I'm in total agreement. Though, I meant in terms of over-compensating for a question that may be worth only 3 or 4 marks. That's really the trap that students fall into. My teacher stressed that point to us this year. If a question is worth 3 marks, in most likelihood you'll need to show 3 distinct points to gain full marks.

That's really as much as I can say - I haven't finished this subject yet, you have. All I can do is work hard and hope for the best.

flash36

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2010, 05:44:03 pm »
Oh yeah for sure, that's the only reason I lost any marks on SACs; I gave 6-8 marks worth of information when it only asked for 3-4.