Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 05:14:55 am

Author Topic: What to do at which uni?  (Read 1487 times)  Share 

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
What to do at which uni?
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »
Ok so here's my dilemma.
I've always wanted to be a lawyer since I can remember.
My ATAR is 97.45 which is a great achievement for me but it still doesnt get me directly into Monash University's Law/Arts or Law/Science (either of which I would be happy with)
Now I really had my heart set on Monash University because of the 'prestige' (for lack of better word) associated with its law degrees. It seems I can get into any other Law degree in melbourne besides monash's.

Should I apply for a law degree at say deakin and complete it there or stick it out and hope to get into monash. If I dont get accepted I would study arts and hopefully transfer to arts/law in second year.

The year difference in starting law might help because I could become more mature (maybe  ::)) which might help with my studies, but I dont particularly wish to be in university for a long time either.
Plus I have been offered a scholarship for Monash University which is swaying my decision.

btw my 97.45 puts me 0.3 off last years fringe enter for arts/law at monash university.

sorry if there has been lots of topics about this but I would like to clarify if the 'prestige' and recognition of one uni over another should influence my choice.
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

kakar0t

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: What to do at which uni?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:29:38 pm »
Same dilemma as you mate

lishan515

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: What to do at which uni?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:11 pm »
Deakin has a good law course, or so I have heard. The issue with Deakin however is when you apply for clerkships (internships) or graduate jobs it is not looked on as favourably as Monash or Melbourne. That being said, if you are getting top marks at Deakin it ultimately will not make a difference. I also am not that familiar with the course so can't really compare the two unis beyond that 'prestige' style of argument.

I have stressed in other posts that Monash is bucking against external transfers significantly but are still accepting internal transfers (but less than in the past). You will need to get very solid marks - HD average to transfer (which is doable if you pick the right subjects and apply yourself). That being said say you don't get high enough mark to transfer after 1st year you have a few options

1. complete your arts or science degree and then do the JD at Monash or Melbourne
2. Apply to transfer into law at Deakin - with your enter that should be no issue