Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2024, 04:37:33 am

Author Topic: evolution of the australian accent?  (Read 1745 times)  Share 

zibb3r

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
evolution of the australian accent?
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:30:39 pm »
OK. so i know the accent kinda evolved liked this:

~Broad, 18th Century
~Cultivated, 20th Century, early late 19th century
~Broad, middle - late @0th Century
~General, 21st Century

So why did it start off as broad, then why the change to cultivated and the broad again, and now general???

Thanks, love you guys :smitten:

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
Re: evolution of the australian accent?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:36:15 pm »
Well, the children are instigators of change in language, so when all the different dialects/ethnolects came together as settlers in Australia the children mixed all of the sounds they heard into a single broad language. That's how I thought it was...
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

zibb3r

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:53:40 pm »
My teahcer said something about the war and breaking away from england?

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:59:20 pm »
Sorry, completely skipped over the rest of your question. Australia had a duty serve the empire, and considering the world domination Britain had it was natural for us to want to stay close to our mother land, so we spoke as Cultivated as we could. Then, with the WWI we lost thousands and thousands of good men and women, and the only reason we could say was that it was 'for the empire', and with that a lot of Australian's broke away from Britain in all different ways in their life, including developing a more unique Aussie identity with the language. I'm not 100% on why we went general but..
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:11:59 pm »
I'm entirely sure on this but I think it's got to do with general accent being a compromise between a cultivated and a broad. Teachers, news presenters and australian tv dramas usually use the general accent so the prevalence of it is higher. Children and esl students are more exposed to the general accent so they're more likely to adopt it.
2010: Biology
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »
Watch 'Sounds of Oz' this has a lot of information on the Australian Accent :)
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE