Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:40:16 am

Author Topic: BCom/JD at UoM  (Read 1861 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
BCom/JD at UoM
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:34:46 pm »
Hi everyone! I went to the University of Melbourne today to learn more about its’ undergraduate courses, and its’ graduate Law program. I’m considering the BCom as one of my 12 preferences; I have a few questions relating to BCom and the JD which I hope someone can answer.

• If I wanted to do a double major like Accounting and Finance, are there certain subjects I would need to choose in first year in order to complete two majors? If so, what would they be?
  • Does doing a double major limit the amount of breath subjects one can do, as opposed to just doing a single major?
  • In regards to the JD, are there any substantial benefits of doing JD at UoM over an undergraduate double degree with Law (e.g. Commerce/Law) at Monash University? From what I've read, JD and LLB have pretty much the same course structure? I don't want to take the risk of doing BCom at UoM, then end up not doing well on the LSAT.
  • Are languages considered as breath subjects? I'm considering studying Latin into uni on the side.
  • Finally, what’s the difference between elective and breath subjects? I looked at a sample course plan, though I wasn't sure how to exactly interpret it.

Sorry if my questions have been asked to death previously, I was hoping for some clarification. Thanks! :)

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: BCom/JD at UoM
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »
Hi everyone! I went to the University of Melbourne today to learn more about its’ undergraduate courses, and its’ graduate Law program. I’m considering the BCom as one of my 12 preferences; I have a few questions relating to BCom and the JD which I hope someone can answer.

• If I wanted to do a double major like Accounting and Finance, are there certain subjects I would need to choose in first year in order to complete two majors? If so, what would they be?
  • Does doing a double major limit the amount of breath subjects one can do, as opposed to just doing a single major?
  • In regards to the JD, are there any substantial benefits of doing JD at UoM over an undergraduate double degree with Law (e.g. Commerce/Law) at Monash University? From what I've read, JD and LLB have pretty much the same course structure? I don't want to take the risk of doing BCom at UoM, then end up not doing well on the LSAT.
  • Are languages considered as breath subjects? I'm considering studying Latin into uni on the side.
  • Finally, what’s the difference between elective and breath subjects? I looked at a sample course plan, though I wasn't sure how to exactly interpret it.

Sorry if my questions have been asked to death previously, I was hoping for some clarification. Thanks! :)

1.  For accounting, "Accounting Reports and Analysis" in first semester and "Accounting Transactions & Analysis".  Those two subjects will allow you to progress to second year accounting and second year Business Finance.  But if you want more choice of second year finance subjects, "Finance 1" in either semesters would also be a good choice.

2.  You still need to do the same amount of breadth subjects, I believe.  But check up on that.

3.  Yes, languages count as breadth for B.Com.

4.  Elective subjects are subjects that are within your faculty that you complete for either enrichment or for interest or just for lols.  For example, if you plan on Accounting and Finance, you might do a marketing subject as an elective if you have the room.  Breadth, on the other hand, are compulsory subjects that you must do that are outside of your faculty.  So you can do languages, a science subject, etc or one of those university breadth subjects that comprise of a little bit of everything.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research