Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:05:22 am

Author Topic: science at ANU?  (Read 1960 times)  Share 

VeryCrazyEdu.

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
science at ANU?
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »
hey guys,

I have already decided i really wanna do science at uni.  :D

i am trying to decide between melb uni, sydney or melb uni. I am from melbourne. The whole ANU 'atmosphere' sounds pretty cool its just the whole moving to canberra thing that puts me off. I know that there is apparently stuff to do like go out etc. but does do ever get over it? also...what college are most science people from? (i wanna do earth science/marine bioogy specifically)

and a few more questions...
is it hard to stay in touch/good friends with high school friends?? this is important to me.

also cost is another issue..if i didn't get a high enough enter to get a 99.90+ scholarship but still got above 99 how hard would it be to get at least an accommodation scholarship etc?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: science at ANU?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:19:39 pm »
I guess the 'science' college is probably Bruce, then maybe Ursies or Fenner as second?

There is a bit more to Canberra than what you initially see. I'm almost finished my second year and still discovering new things and still have a bunch of places (mostly resturants) in civic (within walking distance of ANU) that I want to try out/re-visit. So, I'm not over it, at least not yet.

Staying in touch with friends is really up to you and your friends to commit to, regardless of which city you're in. Keeping in contact once you stop seeing them everyday is something that you have to decide top do, it's not something that just happens. I'm still in fairly regular contact with a bunch of school friends, I see them at least once each time I go back to Melbourne.

As for scholarships - you can get bursaries and that sort of thing, also, youth allowance is good if you qualify for it. Scholarships are available but they're either really quite competitive or awarded on a needs basis.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:28:36 am »
If you apply for PhB Science (which you really ought to be doing if you get over 99), then there's a good chance you'll get a PhB scholarship, which is $6500 a year, I think. Also, if you get an ATAR somewhere in the range 99.75-99.85 then you AUTOMATICALLY get a $6500 per year scholarship (if you get 99.90-99.95 then it's $12500). Accommodation scholarships are more difficult to get - I think Fenner offers one particularly for PhB students, but most colleges only offer bursaries to people from low-income families.

As far as accommodation goes, yeah Bruce would be the most sciency college, though Ursies and Fenner also have a fair few (Ursies is closest to the earth sciences buildings too).

And I can't say I've gotten "over" Canberra yet. It's very easy to make good friends there, and there's always things to do with them, even if Canberra has nothing on offer at times. It's very much what you make of it, but in my experience most people seem to very much enjoy it.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

VeryCrazyEdu.

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:37:57 pm »
hmmm ok good thing to keep in mind. i guess i'll just aim for that. haha
yeah i think bruce sound really good although its pretty hard to get into :\

i'm pretty sure i could qualify for a needs scholarship so might look into that too :D

i still don't know whether i would be willing to move to canberra seeming most undergraduate degrees are around the same level..its just ANU sounds pretty cool at times and their earth science department is really good

gah! toooooo many deicisons!!

VeryCrazyEdu.

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:55:37 pm »
ok just a few more questions....

i'm gonna do monash uni enhancement chem next yr..what do u think the chances of that being recognised by anu is?? and is the workload intense for PhB?? i know earth science has alot of 'field work' (which i would love probably haha :) )

i have read through a couple of other topics..bruce seems like pretty much the favourite college...with acceptance into it..would it be worthwhile to put down things like volunteering or leadership camps etc? and how much is accommodation??

is there generally quite a few people from melbourne there anyways?

thanks guys, appreciate it :)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:03 pm »
i have read through a couple of other topics..bruce seems like pretty much the favourite college...with acceptance into it..would it be worthwhile to put down things like volunteering or leadership camps etc? and how much is accommodation??

Standard (fully catered) is $296.00 per week, and it says on the website when you are applying for bruce
"PLEASE NOTE: The online form from UAS includes space for you to list information about the course you have selected for study, your talents, interests, life experience, awards, links you have with Bruce and any other relevant details you think would help us get to know you. This information is used in our selection process so please make sure you take the opportunity to tell us about yourself."
So definitely provide information about volunteering & leadership camps as it will increase your chance to be selected!
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 12:54:43 am »
ok just a few more questions....

i'm gonna do monash uni enhancement chem next yr..what do u think the chances of that being recognised by anu is?? and is the workload intense for PhB?? i know earth science has alot of 'field work' (which i would love probably haha :) )
Yep, they'll definitely recognise it (they did it with UMEP maths for me) and if you get a good mark it'll increase your chances of getting accepted. The workload isn't much more than a normal science degree (in fact, sometimes the Advanced Studies Courses can be less work than a normal course), but you have to get High Distinctions, so you actually HAVE to study a bit, whereas normal science kids actually have the option of bumming around and just getting Passes.

$296 a week, as said above. Ursies is the same, Johns is slightly less, Burgmann slightly more. Fenner and B&G are about half that but that's not including food, of course. UniLodge is more than B&G or Fenner (also self-catered) but you're locked into a 48- or 52-week contract, whereas the rest are only 40 weeks (i.e. the duration of the academic year).

And yes, talk yourself up as much as possible on application forms. Science kids and high achievers are more likely to get in (there are a lot of PhB science kids at Bruce), but even so it's still very difficult and most people don't get their first preference.

is there generally quite a few people from melbourne there anyways?
Of course. Not quite as many as Sydney, and much less than Canberra, but I've still met heaps of Melbournians and am friends with quite a few (though my friends are from pretty much all over the country).
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

VeryCrazyEdu.

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:40:52 pm »
lol ur making anu sound so great!! haha now all i have to worry about is the 99.75 :S

but now i'll definitely apply etc. don't know what my parents will say but meh...figure that out later :)