Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:50:25 am

Author Topic: “D-. Too much love in the home.”’  (Read 831 times)  Share 

bubble sunglasses

“D-. Too much love in the home.”’
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:39:07 am »

"In his essay in the Weekly Standard, Epstein complained of having to teach children who were products of overprotective parents. ‘So often in my literature classes students told me what they “felt” about a novel, or a particular character in a novel,’ he wrote. ‘I tried, ever so gently, to tell them that no one cared what they felt; the trick was to discover not one’s feelings but what the author had put into the book, its moral weight and its resultant power. In essay courses, many of these same students turned in papers upon which I wished to — but did not — write 'D-. Too much love in the home.’ "

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/columnists/826041/status-anxiety.thtml

transgression

• de Modular, corp.
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +27
Re: “D-. Too much love in the home.”’
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:55 pm »
The kindergarchy and the mollycoddling is scary. I see it everywhere, and I must admit, my parents somewhat paves "attention centered" on me.

The media bias (of showing the deadly, and the dangerous) on the view that our streets aren't safer today than 20 odd years ago - that's true.

If the world they will inherit is so brutal and cut-throat, then we should strive to toughen them up, not create an artificially risk-free environment in which to raise them.

Agreed.

Too much lovin' can be a bad thing
Quote from:  wah wah
FACEBOOK