Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:40:44 pm

Author Topic: Computer Problem??  (Read 2155 times)  Share 

squance

Computer Problem??
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:08:31 pm »
When I use my computer for more than an hour or so, it starts making whirring kind of noises.....

Im not talking about the monitor..im talking about the harddrive thingy...

Why is it making those kinds of noises and should I be concerned?

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: Computer Problem??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:29:54 pm »
are you sure it's the hard-drive? or is it the fan?

if it is coming from the system unit (the box ;D) then it could be a range of factors....

to check if your hard-drive is failing, go My Computer, repeat the following for each drive you have (not CD/USB/etc):
right click -> properties -> "tools" tab
in the first bit there is "error checking", click "check now" button and "start", if it returns any errors, that means your hard-drive is failing...
you can attempt to fix it, with the same utility...

otherwise it's just your fan probably, if you know how to change fans, go to the computer market and pick up a cheap fan for $5... xD
Computer Market http://technologymarkets.com.au/
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:14:54 pm »
How old is your computer?

As Mao just said, it is most likely to be either the hard drive failing or fans. Somehow, I'd say the fans are more likely to be failing than hard drives - but don't take the chance. Back everything up now.. The only real way to determine where the sound is coming from is to open up the side panel of the computer and have a listen. Is it coming from towards the front or the back ... etc.

The error checking functionality within Windows can be an indicator of drive health, but do not take it as absolute. There can be errors without the drive failing (but sound is a dead-giveaway).

Another thing to consider is keeping the computer on as much as you can (ie, copy the entire lot asap without turning your computer off). This is because most of the hard drive wear occurs during start up and shut down, when the drive heads have to suddenly accelerate/decelerate.

Again, I can't iterate this enough - back up everything you have now.

If you're not confident with opening up your computer, or you can't for reasons of warranty, call up the place where you bought it from. I can also come and give you a conclusive diagnosis, but as it would be my company providing the services, it won't be free (that said, I'm happy to make it cheaper for FSN'ers).

excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

squance

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:58:38 pm »
How old is your computer?

As Mao just said, it is most likely to be either the hard drive failing or fans. Somehow, I'd say the fans are more likely to be failing than hard drives - but don't take the chance. Back everything up now.. The only real way to determine where the sound is coming from is to open up the side panel of the computer and have a listen. Is it coming from towards the front or the back ... etc.

The error checking functionality within Windows can be an indicator of drive health, but do not take it as absolute. There can be errors without the drive failing (but sound is a dead-giveaway).

Another thing to consider is keeping the computer on as much as you can (ie, copy the entire lot asap without turning your computer off). This is because most of the hard drive wear occurs during start up and shut down, when the drive heads have to suddenly accelerate/decelerate.

Again, I can't iterate this enough - back up everything you have now.

If you're not confident with opening up your computer, or you can't for reasons of warranty, call up the place where you bought it from. I can also come and give you a conclusive diagnosis, but as it would be my company providing the services, it won't be free (that said, I'm happy to make it cheaper for FSN'ers).

How do you back up stuff?? Whats the easiest way to do it?

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:18:00 am »
Sounds from your computer indicate there is a chance that it is your hard-drive making the noises. This means it is near failure. You need to transfer all your personal data files (music, notes, etc.) to an external hard drive as backup, just in case (or else you could risk losing all your data!)

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:43 am »
you can check the S.M.A.R.T status on your HD. A failing one can easily be spotted with s.m.a.r.t.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

gfb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:12:57 am »
Wires are touching the fan. That is why the fan is making those noises.

Solution:
1. Remove all cables from pc ( to avoid static)
(note: Hold the top part of pc with one hand, the other place on the floor)
2. Take off the side panel from your pc.
3. Check if any wires are coming into contact with cpu/ power supply fan.
4. Give your pc a nice clean!. Perhaps use a small paint brush or compressed air to remove accumulated dust!..

If the problem persists, replace your fan with a 500W-600W powered one.!
Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:16:28 am by gfb »

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:55:58 pm »
Wires are touching the fan. That is why the fan is making those noises.

Solution:
1. Remove all cables from pc ( to avoid static)
(note: Hold the top part of pc with one hand, the other place on the floor)
2. Take off the side panel from your pc.
3. Check if any wires are coming into contact with cpu/ power supply fan.
4. Give your pc a nice clean!. Perhaps use a small paint brush or compressed air to remove accumulated dust!..

If the problem persists, replace your fan with a 500W-600W powered one.!
Cheers!

Nice spot.

That's another possibility. It really depends on the type of sound...they are all subtly different.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:36:38 am »
Yeah, I had a major power supply fan sound which was seriously irritating. Eventually found out after opening that the nails were loose created the noise. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwYpMsrzo4

(on x86 Based Desktop PC)

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

gfb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 07:27:58 pm »
Yeah, I had a major power supply fan sound which was seriously irritating. Eventually found out after opening that the nails were loose created the noise. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwYpMsrzo4

(on x86 Based Desktop PC)

Wow AppleXY that is loud!. Definitely that noise is coming from the power supply fan.

squance try what I told you, it might be the exact solution  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:32:15 pm by gfb »