Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 11:07:02 am

Author Topic: Euthanasia- Angelique Flowers dying wish  (Read 8802 times)  Share 

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: Euthanasia- Angelique Flowers dying wish
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 01:05:22 am »
The nurse doesn't have to comply with your request. It's their choice too, after all it is a mutually voluntary agreement. If you feel so enraged about it, get up, and change hospitals/venues to where they will kill you for you. When you're sick or mentally unclear, would you even be able to realise your bargaining power?

It would also require signing forms to protect the legal rights of the doctor/administrator of the dose (governments don't need to do this, it's in the self-interest of the doctor/administrator).

If you can't handle the responsibility of your rights, then have them locked up by your own accords (I don't know, sign a forward agreement with your doctor to have your requests denied). But don't deny others their own rights.

jess3254

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 01:33:51 am »
I wasn't going to deny others their rights. Where did I say I wanted to deny others their right to choose? Seriously, quote me.
I was just saying I didn't find it patronising when people said I was making irrational decisions whilst I was sick. The stuff I said back then was kind of humorous anyway.

And don't you dare say, "if you can't handle the responsibility of your own rights", I was so fucking sick I didn't know which way was up. I find that really offensive. It's not that I wasn't able to handle the responsibility of my rights, it was just, unfortunately, my illness took over all logical thought processes.

Basically, I was saying there should be safeguards in place to ensure it's what the patient really wants, and it's not just a split second thing when you're feeling quite crap or are having delusions due to your illness. I believe some doctors have proposed a "cool off" period, where you have 1 week to re-consider your choice. Also, as I said before, it should only be available in palliative care.

Ahhh bed time now. night

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 01:41:23 am »
You should be the master of your choices. If you believe a 1 week cool-off period is good for yourself, you set that rule. If you don't believe you can enforce it while you're sick, then organise a forward contract as a proposed. You don't need to be offended by it. I am stating the facts. When you are sick to the extent that you don't have logical thought, you cannot handle the responsibilities of your rights, so prepare for that situation and have them waived. Simple.

If you are condoning a one-size-fits-all system, where it's only legally available in palliative care, or after a one-week cooldown period, then that is denying other people their rights. You might think you're not equipped to make sound decisions, but maybe others are.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 01:42:04 am »
What's stopping someone from drinking copious amounts of alcohol?

The point I'm trying to make is that it is futile to make suicide illegal. As for 'assisted' suicide, what is different from someone giving a patient a bottle of Nebutal (for which the supplier does not know / does not care for how it will be used) to a company providing a skyscraper to jump from or the vendor of rope that was used to make a noose?

The government ought to not make the supply of such substances illegal, but allow the decision for the substance to be used upon each individual without the intervention of either government or another person.

After all, I'm sure that anyone who really wanted to commit suicide would find another way to do it if certain methods were outlawed.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:46:53 am by Excalibur »
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 01:45:11 am »

Maybe alcopops taxes...

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 01:47:49 am »
Methylated spirits?
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:47 am »
As for 'assisted' suicide, what is different from someone giving a patient a bottle of Nebutal (for which the supplier does not know / does not care for how it will be used) to a company providing a skyscraper to jump from or the vendor of rope that was used to make a noose?
Playing Devil's advocate here - there's really only one use for euthanasia, while Nebutal or rope have myriad uses (no idea what Nebutal actually is but I'm assuming you can use it for things other than killing yourself)

Anyway, I can't see how all the problems raised so far (except for the theological ones lol) cannot be solved by a contract system similar to the organ donor one, or maybe similar to the will system

you have been sainted now :P

go get your name changed to St. Ninwa
Hahaha I changed it to reflect my ever-increasing levels of FAIL
I wonder what's higher than a goddess ... I think it's time for another upgrade ... I almost had a heart attack last night because I saw my reflection in my mirror and thought there was a murderer in my room

7. Then told the doctor to shove his stethoscope up his arse.
I know it's entirely inappropriate but that made me lol really hard
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 02:05:35 pm »
As for 'assisted' suicide, what is different from someone giving a patient a bottle of Nebutal (for which the supplier does not know / does not care for how it will be used) to a company providing a skyscraper to jump from or the vendor of rope that was used to make a noose?
Playing Devil's advocate here - there's really only one use for euthanasia, while Nebutal or rope have myriad uses (no idea what Nebutal actually is but I'm assuming you can use it for things other than killing yourself)

Anyway, I can't see how all the problems raised so far (except for the theological ones lol) cannot be solved by a contract system similar to the organ donor one, or maybe similar to the will system

you have been sainted now :P

go get your name changed to St. Ninwa
Hahaha I changed it to reflect my ever-increasing levels of FAIL
I wonder what's higher than a goddess ... I think it's time for another upgrade ... I almost had a heart attack last night because I saw my reflection in my mirror and thought there was a murderer in my room

7. Then told the doctor to shove his stethoscope up his arse.
I know it's entirely inappropriate but that made me lol really hard

My bad, it's spelt Nembutal.

It's used as a sedative, officially. However, it was also used as a euthanasia agent in the NT while it was legal there (and is associated with euthanasia these days).

In other words, I was comparing the use of a multi-use euthanasia agent (Nembutal) to other multi-use objects like buildings and rope.
Former Global Moderator

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:04 pm »
legalise drugs. people can made responsible decisions on consumption of narcotics.

even if they are addicted and nothing thinking straight.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 02:21:22 pm »
               OR
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3230774.stm

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »
               OR
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3230774.stm
Off-topic: from that link:
Prosecutors are seeking a conviction of murder for "sexual satisfaction", as cannibalism is not technically illegal under German law.
WTF?!

Excal I still wouldn't have known what Nembutal is :P
My point still stands though, you can use Nembutal for other things whereas if someone supplies euthanasia it's kinda obvious what they would use it for.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 01:29:20 pm »
Nembutal is also used for euthanasia.
Former Global Moderator