Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 09:55:56 pm

Author Topic: Do you think physical education should stay compulsory in schools?  (Read 4532 times)  Share 

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
Do you think physical education should stay compulsory in schools?
I go to a school that has sports as a high priority. It seems that school sports > academic matters.
When one has a SAC on Monday, one would much rather stay home doing some study rather than taking a 1.5 hour trip to some school's campus, playing for an hour, then taking another 1.5 hour trip back.
I don't think it's an effective way to control the increasingly overweight population.

This post sounds so disconnected but you get the main point right?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:37:44 pm by dekoyl »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: Do you think physical education should stay compulsory in schools?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:36:21 pm »
Schools should be allowed to choose what policy they take in regards to physical education.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:39:28 pm »
But yes, I agree with you in that I doubt that it is an effective way to control the increasingly overweight population.

brendan

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:39:33 pm »
When one has a SAC on Monday, one would much rather stay home doing some study rather than taking a 1.5 hour trip to some school's campus, playing for an hour, then taking another 1.5 hour trip back.

Ever thought of simply not going? Or changing schools?

BA22

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:43:31 pm »
Changing schools just because of some phys ed, hahaha

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »

I think it should have a higher priority for yrs 7-10 than it did for my school [3 periods every 2 weeks]

but yeah, you should be able to choose to study for sacs if you want to, hell. what year are you in btw?

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 06:52:40 pm »

I think it should have a higher priority for yrs 7-10 than it did for my school [3 periods every 2 weeks]

but yeah, you should be able to choose to study for sacs if you want to, hell. what year are you in btw?
11 but still.. :P

3 periods every 2 weeks? We have 2 periods every week + sports trainings + Saturday sports.

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 06:56:11 pm »
For the lower year levels it should be made mandatory, as for the older year levels, maybe 1-2 periods of organised sport by the school could be arranged, and should be totally up to the students if they wish to attend.
As for the compulsory w/e sport, its good that the school is pushing for more physical activity, but it shouldnt be at the expense of the students study time.

I know for one in my school, there is not a lot of push for the older year levels to engage in sport (especially racket sports) so we decided to form a table tennis tournament by ourselves for the year level. More of these sort of activities should be encouraged by other schools :)
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

cara.mel

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:31:08 pm »
I come from one of those private schools need to do 2 after school trainings and saturday sport for 6 years, must choose a summer and a winter sport etc.

The general consensus was that it was worthwhile in years 7-10 but it should be optional once we hit the senior school as spending half of our saturday to go to geelong (1.5 hour trip one way), essendon (1 hr one way), peninsula (1 hr) etc was a waste of precious study time

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »
With the obesity epidemic and high incidence of heart disease, I think it should stay compulsory.
There is proof that people exposed to the benefits of being physically active (fun, higher self esteem, healthy competition) are much more likely to continue doing physical activity well into their life. You're being selfish and lazy, it's only ONE day and it's not like you need every fucking hour the day to study. Stop being a nerd :P
Monash University
Science/Engineering (Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering)

brendan

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 02:46:01 am »
Awww, I used to love saturday school sport. Except sometimes in yr12 because I'd have to get up on a saturday morning and I'd be all tired and have migraines and yerr not fun.

We only had to do PE from yrs7-10 though, not in VCE at all. But yeah, two periods a week + sports trainings each week + school sport on saturday. Training was once a week in the summer for cricket (I was captain of the 5th XI, lol. Out of 5 teams) and twice a week in the winter for cross country (which I actually cared about, because my school wins at cross country).

It did take up a fair bit of time, but I enjoyed the balance between sport and academia - even now at uni I've still found time to play 6 different sports this year for my college.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 03:16:58 am »
I liked sport, since I did softball and was in one of the few fielding positions where you actually got to do something instead of standing around waiting for someone to hit the ball to you.

Hated PE though. In year 10 I wagged literally a whole semester of PE because it was generally known that I'm a muso so I had all these music reasons. Though my head of house chased me up eventually and threatened to give me a Friday detention. ><

I ended up getting a C for PE that semester hahahaha
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:19 am »
lol. I suck at sport, dunno why. I played it from Yr 7 to 8, but in Year 9 and 10 -- I really couldn't be fucked. It wasn't my thing lol (f*king t-ball hit my balls in yr8 *grr* lol). I wagged or wrote fake notes (my friend was pr0 at that lol) to my PE teacher and yeah.

I would die if I had sat. sport rofl.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 09:24:46 am »

- even now at uni I've still found time to play 6 different sports this year for my college.

Wow thats awesome!!! 6 sports!!
one of my friends in uni is struggling to find time to keep up with 2
Good on ya :)
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E