Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 01:04:43 pm

Author Topic: Oh crap, I can't see anything on my computer screen...  (Read 489 times)  Share 

asa.hoshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Oh crap, I can't see anything on my computer screen...
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:08:30 pm »
The title says it all...this is what happened...

In an attempt to connect my 2nd computer to my Plasma tv instead of my monitor so I can watch movies/dramas on a bigger screen so i'll save on burning them onto discs... I did something extremely silly... well I actually dunno whether or not it's silly...

I used a S-video and 3 RCA converter cable thingo for the transmission from my computer to TV (I only plugged in one of the RCA because the other 2 are audio pins). Unfortunately it doesn't work. But if I used the exact same cable with another device, i.e. my video recorder, it works suprisingly. So there's nuthing wrong with the cable, its either that the graphics card cant handle it or it's faulty... Someone told me before, forgot who it was, that I need to change the settings on my computer in order to able to transmit the video signals from my computer to the TV. So I took my computer bak into my room and connected it to my monitor to change the settings. Then I went onto Control Panel, and into NVIDIA Control Panel. Then I went to "Set up multiple displays" and then "Select the display you would like to use." At this moment of time, My computer wasn't plugged in the TV and it was only plugged in my monitor. So, the detection doesn't work (for obvious reasons).  So I clicked on "My display is not shown in the list..." help button and clicked the box with the caption "Force television detection on startup." This is wat Force television detection is "you can force detection if your television was not discovered. Enabling this will increase start up time of your computer." After that, I took my computer back out where the Plasma was and hoping it would work and connected everything. BUT IT DIDN'T WORK!!!!! (spewing). Then I decided to connect it back to my monitor, however, once it got to the startup window's page my monitor loses signal, probably because the detection signal went to find the TV signal if you know what I mean...

So the problem is, how do I fix it??? Since I can't see anything on the screen... coz nuthing shows on the plasma and montior loses singal. :S Is there a better option of connection a computer to a Plasma tv?? I thought of using a DVI-D to HDMI cable... but I dunno...

I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP... well its not urgent coz its only my 2nd computer.  Like I still have another computer to use, but I'd seriously would like to know how to fix it and what the hell I did wrong.

Also where can i get cheap cables? Dicksmith is a rip off even though its walking-distance from my house. I wonder if centrecom or msy would have those cables. But the thing is, what if it doesn't work? would centrecom or msy returned products? Because I know Dicksmith would...

Thanks! SO Much.... in advance

ASA.HOSHI...

yes i know... im so computer illiterate.

EDIT: oh this computer is running on XP... but i gotta check wat graphics card it is. but the computer is not that old and it was custom built. well its not actually my computer, its my sis, but she left for japan for a year, so i stole her computer... hahaha! it would b a waste if it was just sitting there in her room for a whole year rite? haha!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:11:21 pm by asa.hoshi »
I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER!!

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
Re: Oh crap, I can't see anything on my computer screen...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:41:21 pm »
Do you have another TV that works with your computer so you can change the settings back? If your TV has a HDMI port, a DVI-D to HDMI cable will give higher quality I presume.