Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 08, 2024, 12:22:31 am

Author Topic: Commerce!!!  (Read 19677 times)  Share 

costargh

Re: Commerce!!!
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2007, 04:58:20 pm »
Yep I know. Either one would be great. In 09 the family is moving to Oakleigh which makes both Uni's closer, especially Monash but I would still choose UoM over Monash if I had to make the decision right now unless a double degree at Monash appealed to me more. =)

costargh

Odette

costargh

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2007, 05:22:09 pm »
I told mum its like 10 minutes away and shes like no its not its about 5 minutes away LOL. I'd love it. Currently theres some med uni students renting the place out, for the convinience of monash being down the road =P

Odette

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2007, 05:31:11 pm »
:( Why did I have to live far away from the good universities :'(

costargh

« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2007, 05:38:53 pm »
If you're that keen on getting the best education that you can then you will always find a way. =)
Might sound a bit hypocritical cause I live fairly conveniently

Odette

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2007, 05:43:35 pm »
Lol I guess you're right, it's just so hard... like bloody hell melb uni is 1 hour and 10 mins away from my house by transport and about 20 mins by car lol

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2007, 06:12:21 pm »
lol i wud say monash is 15 mins away n melb is 1 hour away from me. hmm wonder if its that worth it that i hav to pay for the transportation costs n waste my time travelling if i go to melb.
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

Odette

« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2007, 06:14:32 pm »
lol i wud say monash is 15 mins away n melb is 1 hour away from me. hmm wonder if its that worth it that i hav to pay for the transportation costs n waste my time travelling if i go to melb.

Yes it's worth it !! if you get in go for it =)

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2007, 06:16:35 pm »
lol i'll c... their melbourne model is not really driving me there. if it weren't for that i wud hav probably put them as first preference.
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2007, 06:24:19 pm »
Actuarial -  The application of probability, statistics, calculus, financial mathematics, functions and modelling to corporations to quantify risk and how to appropriately manage the risk by selecting the correct decisions.

and lol, it comes at no surprise that funerals remind you of actuaries, this is because actuaries are to well-known to be be working in the life insurance sector looool.

Actuarial is boooming sector with above-average growth and any business that deals with risk has actuaries. This can range from Health and General Insurance, Financial Markets, Consulting, Chance and even Valuation! :)

Major Businesses that Employ Graduates are:

IAG - Insurance Australia Group
Trowbridge Deloitte
PwC - PriceWaterHouseCoopers Act
Watson Wyatt
Towers Perrin
Mercer

Mainly employers are consultancy firms, which exercise your full actuarial/mathematics and communication skills. I would love to get an offer from IAG, it looks like an interesting firm and I saw (well i think) their Melbourne Office lawlz.

Btw, I think the Melbourne Model will be quite good for employers, as they know the graduates have high academic rigor because they have knowledge in Commerce and basic knowledge in related subjects that are indirectly related to commerce.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 06:36:34 pm by AppleXY »

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

brendan

« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2007, 06:30:44 pm »

Yes it's worth it !! if you get in go for it =)

but then there are the advantages of monash:
no melbourne model
no breadth requirement

sheepz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2007, 07:14:04 pm »
i think i wud prob take subjects from other faculties too anyway, esp since im considering of doin a language. but yea still thinking of double degree... *looks at monash* *looks at melb*
~2007~
Legal Studies - 37
Chinese SLA - 38

~2008~
ESL
Methods CAS
Economics
Accounting
Uni Accounting

joechan521

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:43 pm »
University of Melbourne is the best place to study commerce, IMO.

If you're looking for some place with a good Management and Marketing course, I have no idea, but Melbourne would be pretty good at Economics, Finance and Accounting. Actuarial Studies is only offered at UoM in Victoria, so go figure :P

The two main majors seem to be Finance and Accounting, but you can't do both. If you choose Finance, you can take up Economics as well, but Accounting is pretty full-on, in terms of how much percentage it takes of your degree.

i thought you can do a double major in accounting and finance
06 method47 chinese 2nd language advanced39
07 english39 specailist44 accounting44 further48 psychology35
07 ENTER 99.15

joechan521

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2007, 01:46:22 pm »
hmm im hoping to do chinese alongside my degree... but if they r making me compete against the china IS students im so not doing it! if it takes up all my breadth subjects tho, i cant do any other subj =( *leaning towards double degree right now though will prob change my mind in 3 secs*
theres 3different chinese language course streams, for beginners, for people who did chinese 2nd language in vce, and for background speakers
06 method47 chinese 2nd language advanced39
07 english39 specailist44 accounting44 further48 psychology35
07 ENTER 99.15