Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 01:48:34 am

Author Topic: Popularity of BSc. amongst high achievers?  (Read 5465 times)  Share 

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
Popularity of BSc. amongst high achievers?
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:01:29 am »
My school had a few high achievers this year and most of them (including a 99.95) went for Bachelor of Science at UoM. I see that a few high achievers here went for BSc, too.

Is the popularity due to the vast outcomes/majors that BSc is able to provide (and so people are able to follow their interests) and its flexibility?

In regards to flexibility, I think I read somewhere here that if one doesn't get into biomedicine, s/he could do BSc and choose subjects that are most similar to biomed ones and lead on to do post-grad medicine? (Exceptionally unsure about this.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:11:43 am by dekoyl »

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: Popularity of BSc. amongst high achievers?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:07:22 am »
In regards to flexibility, I think I read somewhere here that if one doesn't get into biomedicine, s/he could do BSc and choose subjects that are most similar to biomed ones and lead on to do post-grad medicine? (Exceptionally unsure about this.)

True.

As for your actual question why, I'm not too sure since I'm not one of them myself, but I'm pretty certain it's related to their personal interests, and their dedication to pursue academic study at a higher level as opposed to just entering another cookie cutter career. Maybe ask cmel if she happens to drop by since she's one such person doing this.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:09:22 am »
A lot of smart ppl at my school seem to want to either enter get a BComm or an MBBS. Possibly because they don't know what they would do after they got a BSc.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:08:51 am »
I recommend Engineering/Science double degree for high achievers wishing to pursue maths/physics at the tertiary level. You get all the joys of math/physics with all the benefits of employment prospects. :P

kurrymuncher

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:48:05 am »
Im thinking of that. Is there one common year for eng students or do you have to pick your specialty straight away.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 01:55:46 am »
For Eng/Sci you pick your stream straight up, no common year.

brendan

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:34:18 am »
aren't you doing that for the money/status/prestige ?

brendan

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 02:27:56 pm »
(extremely rich). You have a lot to look forward to.

mmm indeed.

I have a genuine interest in both fields.

whats that
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:30:03 pm by Brendan »

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:29:13 pm »
Extremely rich at 35? That's something to look forward to indeed.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:16 am »
(extremely rich). You have a lot to look forward to.

mmm indeed.

I have a genuine interest in both fields.

whats that

The medico-legal field, malpractice cases, gene patents, drug patents, legal matters resulting from bioethics issues, bioinformatics, biotechnology.

Big demand area.
Not really. I have a genuine interest in both fields. I could never do a job I dislike for money/status/prestige for the rest of my life.

I've spoken to a few actuaries and most of them got burned out by the time they were 35-40 (extremely rich). You have a lot to look forward to.

Some people are driven by the money, some people are driven by career satisfaction. Whatever rocks your boat, really.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:20 pm »
I recommend Engineering/Science double degree for high achievers wishing to pursue maths/physics at the tertiary level. You get all the joys of math/physics with all the benefits of employment prospects. :P
The unfortunate side-effect is the boredom of doing engineering. It's like maths/physics with all the fun sucked out of it :P

To be honest, most high achievers I've known who've done sciency subjects in yr12 (e.g. Asian 5) haven't gone on to do a BSc at all - most do Commerce or Law or Engineering, but few just plain science.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 12:43:58 pm »
The unfortunate side-effect is the boredom of doing engineering. It's like maths/physics with all the fun sucked out of it :P

Were you bullied as a child. Your desperate clinging to your mathematical elitism suggests that you have an inferiority complex of some kind.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 12:59:38 pm »

Were you bullied as a child. Your desperate clinging to your mathematical elitism suggests that you have an inferiority complex of some kind.
Ahahaha. No. I don't so much cling to my mathematical elitism as force it upon everyone else. It's more that I'm happy and surprised to find an academic area that I'm truly passionate about. If you met me in real life you'd realise it wasn't an inferiority complex at all, just natural arrogance :P
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 02:19:38 am »

Ahahaha. No. I don't so much cling to my mathematical elitism as force it upon everyone else. It's more that I'm happy and surprised to find an academic area that I'm truly passionate about. If you met me in real life you'd realise it wasn't an inferiority complex at all, just natural arrogance :P

Well I certainly believed this.