Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 11:07:29 pm

Author Topic: nervous system question  (Read 1983 times)  Share 

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
nervous system question
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:37 pm »
hey all,

im stuck at this question. this ones related to the nervous system, not stress btw.
Question: "Describe how the fight or flight response works. Your response must reference the appropriate divisions of the nervous system"
help would be appreciated...

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
Re: nervous system question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »
+2
hey all,

im stuck at this question. this ones related to the nervous system, not stress btw.
Question: "Describe how the fight or flight response works. Your response must reference the appropriate divisions of the nervous system"
help would be appreciated...
The sympathetic nervous system, a sub-division of the ANS, arouses our body for vigorous activity. This is demonstrated by the fight-flight-freeze response, an involuntary physical response to a sudden or immediate threat in readiness for fight (confront), flight (escape) or freeze (avoid detection). When this response is activated, the sympathetic nervous system is responsible for the numerous physiological changes that take place in order to better prepare the body for dealing with the threat, such as an increased heart and respiration rate, dilated pupils and the release of adrenalin. Once there is no longer a threat, the parasympathetic nervous system (a sub-division of the ANS) becomes dominant, returning our body to a state of homeostasis.

Hope this helps! Also, depending on the marks, you can go more or less in depth. :)
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

KiNSKi01

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:27 pm »
+2
Yo IIeeea!

I'm not going to give you a stock answer but I will give you some pointers on how to answer the question  ;D

-Discuss what the fight/flight response is and why we have it (body's survival mechanism)
- Provide an example of a possible situation that might cause our body to kick into the fight/flight response (e.g being chased by a giant rat........lol idk)
-Refer to the divisions of the nervous system (Peripheral-Autonomic-Sympathetic) <If you don't know what I'm talking about here make sure you look over divisions and different roles of the NS
-Then describe some of the changes your body will experience as a result of the fight/flight response e.g dillated pupils, increased heart rate, loss of bladder control (my personal favourite)

Also check how many marks the question is worth as you may not need to answer in much detail and you don't want to be wasting your time on one/two markers.

Hope I helped!  :D
ATAR: 98.20

'18:
Physics - 42
Psychology - 40

'19:
English Language -42
Chemistry - 40
Further Maths - 45
Maths Methods - 40

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:59:15 pm »
The sympathetic nervous system, a sub-division of the ANS, arouses our body for vigorous activity. This is demonstrated by the fight-flight-freeze response, an involuntary physical response to a sudden or immediate threat in readiness for fight (confront), flight (escape) or freeze (avoid detection). When this response is activated, the sympathetic nervous system is responsible for the numerous physiological changes that take place in order to better prepare the body for dealing with the threat, such as an increased heart and respiration rate, dilated pupils and the release of adrenalin. Once there is no longer a threat, the parasympathetic nervous system (a sub-division of the ANS) becomes dominant, returning our body to a state of homeostasis.

Hope this helps! Also, depending on the marks, you can go more or less in depth. :)
thanks very much for your help. i wont copy your answer but i have a good idea of how to answer questions like these now

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:29:58 pm »
I would assume that this question would be worth two marks.
For the first mark you could talk about what two divisions are within the autonomic nervous system, and mention their respective function. If you want to add extra detail, you could mention the hormones that both systems are associated with (but it is not necessary, it would just help with understanding). For the second mark, link how these two systems cause the fight/flight response through behaviours that occur when these systems activate, and try to use an example in not only this question but in as many others as well. Examples help you consolidate knowledge by application and probably makes the teachers like you more because they'd understand what you are getting at.
Hope this helps.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature