Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 01:59:20 am

Author Topic: How to get a Band 6 in Business Studies!  (Read 112667 times)  Share 

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: How to get a Band 6 in Business Studies!
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 03:28:47 pm »
Yep, I got my internal ranks through my report. Did you not receive one?
For some subjects, but not Business & Legal studies....not sure why though.

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 09:18:58 pm »
Can i ask a question on here?

Can anyone explain what this mean to me:
Providing work. Employers are not allowed to ‘stand down’ employees if there
is no work. They are not generally required to provide work if there is none;
however, they must pay the correct wages.

its from HR--> influences--> legal--> obligations of Employers

idk if im brain dead, but i think its worded weirdly and im not sure what stand down means.

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 11:46:20 am »
Can i ask a question on here?

Can anyone explain what this mean to me:
Providing work. Employers are not allowed to ‘stand down’ employees if there
is no work. They are not generally required to provide work if there is none;
however, they must pay the correct wages.

its from HR--> influences--> legal--> obligations of Employers

idk if im brain dead, but i think its worded weirdly and im not sure what stand down means.

Hey Melprocrastinator,

Under common law rights of an employee if they are rostered to work specific hours or it's in their contract to work 9-5 etc; an employer cannot tell them not to work or "stand them down" if there isn't as much work to do. This can happen a lot in shift work type jobs if an employee comes to work and expects to do 8 hours, an employer might want to cut cost and tell this person not to work so they don't have to pay their wage for that shift. But under common law rights, they can't do this or they still have to pay whatever they were entitled to if they don't work.

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

kawther

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 12:40:53 pm »
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what the difference between developmental and administrative performance management is?

Thank You

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what the difference between developmental and administrative performance management is?

Thank You

Hey Kawther,
Developmental performance management is an ongoing process to increase motivation and performance through things like setting objectives that can be measured, analysed and improved continually. Whereas administrative performance management is like a once a year thing, where you sit down with your boss and talk about what you did well, what you could have improved, your goals for the next year to achieve the strategic goal etc. Developmental management is also an individual process whereas administrative can be a business wide assessment.

Those are some of the main differences, hope this cleared it up!!
Good luck :)
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »
guys i need advice! this whole week i have 5 exams and i feel as if im not prepared for the business exam. i still have a lot of content to learn and i probably wont have time for past papers. Can someone help me out here! What should i do, finish learning all of the content and only do like one past paper a night before or to just read the content and start doing past papers (at least 5)? Is past papers a better way of scoring a band 6 or to learn the content in and out?

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »
guys i need advice! this whole week i have 5 exams and i feel as if im not prepared for the business exam. i still have a lot of content to learn and i probably wont have time for past papers. Can someone help me out here! What should i do, finish learning all of the content and only do like one past paper a night before or to just read the content and start doing past papers (at least 5)? Is past papers a better way of scoring a band 6 or to learn the content in and out?

Hey, since it is so close to the exam, and I also haven't done a whole lot of studying for business studies.
My advice is to firstly get the syllabus and circle anything that you see that you have no idea what it is. After read that section of the textbook or your notes (if you have any) and just learn the bits that you have no idea.

Then do 1-2 past papers (closed book in timed conditions) and the sections that you get wrong or any dot points that you struggled with - go and look back on. You probably don't have enough time to research case studies, so either make them up or use a guide like qantas and just find the statistics that back up your points.

Then do another past paper and see which section you are having trouble with the most - MC, SA, Report or extended response and maybe do some practice on your 2 weakest areas - i.e. maybe write a few reports or a few extended responses or use the BOSTES MC although some of those questions are outdated.

Also definitely ask questions on any areas that you are unsure of to teachers, friends or on Atarnotes!!

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2016, 03:56:55 pm »
Hey, since it is so close to the exam, and I also haven't done a whole lot of studying for business studies.
My advice is to firstly get the syllabus and circle anything that you see that you have no idea what it is. After read that section of the textbook or your notes (if you have any) and just learn the bits that you have no idea.

Then do 1-2 past papers (closed book in timed conditions) and the sections that you get wrong or any dot points that you struggled with - go and look back on. You probably don't have enough time to research case studies, so either make them up or use a guide like qantas and just find the statistics that back up your points.

Then do another past paper and see which section you are having trouble with the most - MC, SA, Report or extended response and maybe do some practice on your 2 weakest areas - i.e. maybe write a few reports or a few extended responses or use the BOSTES MC although some of those questions are outdated.

Also definitely ask questions on any areas that you are unsure of to teachers, friends or on Atarnotes!!

Thank you for your help Isaac!! Also, for the business extended response, if the question asks us to write about strategies for a particular topic, how many strategies are we expected to write about? Do we need to write about all or only pick a few?

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2016, 04:50:56 pm »
Thank you for your help Isaac!! Also, for the business extended response, if the question asks us to write about strategies for a particular topic, how many strategies are we expected to write about? Do we need to write about all or only pick a few?

Hey,

If the question is on strategies, I would recommend 3 -4 paragraphs, depending on how fast you write and how in depth your knowledge is as well as how succinctly you write. You are definitely not expected to write about all of them, choose the ones that apply to the question best and then the ones that you know the best. Make sure you have a case study for each paragraph as well :)

Rikahs

• Forum Regular
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 05:11:39 pm »
Case study for each paragraph?! I thought one was good enough. Do you think it'd make it more likely to achieve an increased mark? And how prepared are you out of 10?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:53:45 pm by Rikahs »
Adv Eng
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Business Stds
Chemistry
Physics

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
Case study for each paragraph?! I thought one was good enough. Do you think it'd make it more likely to achieve an increased mark? And how prepared are you out of 10?

You dont have to have a different case study for each paragraph, as long as you know one really well, that is fine. I went to a lecture from the person who used to be head of the marking center and she said you can just have one :)

kevin217

• Forum Regular
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2016, 07:02:13 pm »
My teacher has said that one is enough to reach the high bands. However, given your current predicament, I would advise just knowing Qantas for everything you can get information on. If you really want to diversify your business essay, probably picking the marketing or operations question is best because I found those two functions easier to 'BS' on.

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2016, 07:46:06 pm »

Sorry for the confusion, when I said a case study for each paragraph; I mean have reference to a case study in each paragraph. It can be the same case study throughout you just can't mention it once and forget about it. It has to be integrated throughout your essay. Having more doesn't increase your mark, you just need to mention it; some people prefer to have more than one as different businesses do things differently and it may adapt to the question better. But having one is enough as long as you refer to it preferably in each paragraph

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2016, 08:15:28 pm »
Thanks for helping out Isaac!
Can someone please explain 'price points' (pricing strategy - Marketing) to me?

Rikahs

• Forum Regular
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2016, 08:24:51 pm »
Price points is a pricing strategy were products are set at predetermined prices. This strategy is typically used in retail stores, an example being Target selling most of their T-shirts are for $15. Although the T-Shirts might have cost Target prices ranging from $5-9, the T-Shirts are still listed at $15 therefore different products have different profit margins. The benefits of this strategy is that it makes it easier for customers to find the product they want and according to "business studies in action", it enables the business to also encourage customers to "trade up" to more expensive models (or in Target's case, more expensive shirts).

Hope that cleared up some confusion.
Adv Eng
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Business Stds
Chemistry
Physics