Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:11:37 am

Author Topic: Subjects in 2018 - Health and Human Development or VET Animal Studies  (Read 742 times)  Share 

mollyf21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Hi. I'm in year 11 in 2018. in 2017, I have completed Unit 1&2 of Biology and General Maths (Further), and have selected to complete English, Further (3&4), Biology (3&4), chemistry, and Methods in 2018. I also have been put down to do Health and human development and have been accepted into VET Animal studies. I am not sure which to do out of these two and was wondering whether anyone could give me a hand to decide?

Animal Studies Pros
Interesting
relating to what I want to do when I am older (Veterinarian)
Will get extra study periods this year and next year
in year 12, I may only have to do 3 subjects of exams
may slightly boost ATAR

Animal Studies Cons

Long way to travel (around an hour by bus) and so I may miss out on class time for other subjects (possibly miss important information or SACs)

I also already am working at a kennel and therefore some of the information may be repeated from what I already know (which may give me an advantage but may also be repetitive), and I will likely be able to do work placement at work, rather than finding more placements. However the course basically qualifies me to do the work that I am already doing.

Health and Human Development Pros

Interesting
friends in class
already bought the textbook and stuff

Health and Human Development Cons

Not sure whether I would enjoy it as much
Lots of definitions and analysis
scales down (need a high atar to get into course)

Any help? :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:56:14 am by mollyf21 »

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Subjects in 2018 - Health and Human Development or VET Animal Studies
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:41:07 am »
+3
Judging from the list of pros and cons, you seem to be already more slanted towards completing Animal Studies. I think your mind is already set. :)
You can discuss the travel issue with your teachers so you can reschedule anything that happens to cross paths. Teachers are generally alright with rescheduling assessment and information if the reason that you're unavailable is reasonable, such as having other classes. With a little luck and a little shuffling, this should be manageable.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

mollyf21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Subjects in 2018 - Health and Human Development or VET Animal Studies
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:50 pm »
Judging from the list of pros and cons, you seem to be already more slanted towards completing Animal Studies. I think your mind is already set. :)
You can discuss the travel issue with your teachers so you can reschedule anything that happens to cross paths. Teachers are generally alright with rescheduling assessment and information if the reason that you're unavailable is reasonable, such as having other classes. With a little luck and a little shuffling, this should be manageable.

Thanks for that. The only issue is that the school have been really slow in responding (took a couple of months to respond to an email for a simple question) and have heard of other people having issues there. Also, I think my parents think that it will be bad for me to miss so much class time each week, especially in year 12 classes.