Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 02, 2024, 06:09:31 am

Author Topic: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!  (Read 39603 times)

phomaedow

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Re: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 04:58:21 pm »
+3
    I     Narcos (great keeping your Spanish in check because Colombians     really good accents although the accents aren't ALL at realistic)
3%, my Brasilian friend introduced   to me and I love the show so much.
Black Mirror. Duh, Go to if you   an existential crisis in between     for   fun lil break.
Brooklyn 99. Everyones already mentioned it but seriously,   it my good pal,
Grey's Anatomy. Duh.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »
+2
Hasn't been mentioned yet but I've started watching it not too long- Sense8 on Netflix is very good :)

I've heard good stuff from friends about The Good Place, and I've watched a couple of episodes of Brooklyn 99. I like comedy, but I don't find Brooklyn 99 very engaging because it's an adult deliberately acting like a childish dick which isn't genuine humour in my opinion (I'm willing to give the show another crack to see if the character development and storyline progresses).

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 05:23:11 pm »
+4
The Crown on Netflix is also very good. Thought I would hated considering;

a) I hate historical fiction and
b) I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy

However, I am finding it quite enjoyable. The acting is incredible, and they all look very similar to the people that they are playing, which I appreciate. Though of course, I'm not taking anything depicted at face value, it does appear to be, for the most part quite well researched, and rather than focusing on fictional, yet explosive plot details (keep in mind I'm only on the first season, so can't comment on the second where pretty sure they delve into unverified, though probable stories of affairs), like many other shows about the royal family, it is a lot more character driven. I do wonder though whether they are being a bit too kind to some members of the royal family, in particular Queen Elizabeth. Maybe its just my innate distrust of the monarchy talking aha, but I think she's coming off quite well in this show aha.

Overall, I recommend :) Though it would probably be better to go into it with some understanding of the basic history of the royal family in the 20th century, as it can sometimes get a bit confusing. You don't need to know that much, but a bit about the abdication of Edward VIII wouldn't go a miss :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2017, 05:38:08 pm »
+1
Hasn't been mentioned yet but I've started watching it not too long- Sense8 on Netflix is very good :)

I've heard good stuff from friends about The Good Place, and I've watched a couple of episodes of Brooklyn 99. I like comedy, but I don't find Brooklyn 99 very engaging because it's an adult deliberately acting like a childish dick which isn't genuine humour in my opinion (I'm willing to give the show another crack to see if the character development and storyline progresses).

surprised you don't like B99, it definitely isn't the most serious show but given you like Master of none .... both do a good albeit at times cringey job with social matters imo. I guess the characters in B99 are somewhat ehh except Jake and Amy. There is not much of a storyline iirc but a few plot lines which run through the seasons.

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2017, 06:04:12 pm »
+1
I love watching TV shows and finding some new good ones! Some of my ultimate favourites right now vv

Outlander: It's already been mentioned but I love this show so much!! Made me fall in love with historical dramas and movies + Jamie Fraser is A+ good-looking!
Riverdale: Someone already said this show was over-rated and I agree too, but once you start watching, you honestly get hooked. All episodes are on Netflix so you don't have to scour the internet for them.
Skam: Norwegian teen drama show WHICH IS SO GOOD. Every season is about a different main character and it explores a bunch of topics like sexual violence, religion, sexuality, mental illness, teenage relationships etc. It's so good and the character development is amazing.
Good Morning Call: Japanese teen drama show which is on Netflix. I don't usually watch Japanese dramas but this one's pretty cute and the acting's not that bad. It's based on a manga and all two seasons are on NF.

I agree with your friends and definitely recommend The Good Place. Super funny and lots of humour! + The storyline is great and uses an interesting concept.

Mod edit (insanipi): merged posts :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:13:38 pm by insanipi »
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
+2

thanks for the rec! i've been looking for another show to watch since most shows have stopped releasing new episodes. sense8 is next on the list!

i definitely get you on brooklyn nine-nine. the first few episodes are a bit cringey, but once you push through it's worth it - brooklyn nine-nine is definitely one of my favourite shows.

surprised you don't like B99, it definitely isn't the most serious show but given you like Master of none .... both do a good albeit at times cringey job with social matters imo. I guess the characters in B99 are somewhat ehh except Jake and Amy. There is not much of a storyline iirc but a few plot lines which run through the seasons.

^^^^^ this is a pretty good description of brooklyn nine-nine (although i love all the characters)

The Crown on Netflix is also very good. Thought I would hated considering;

a) I hate historical fiction and
b) I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy

However, I am finding it quite enjoyable. The acting is incredible, and they all look very similar to the people that they are playing, which I appreciate. Though of course, I'm not taking anything depicted at face value, it does appear to be, for the most part quite well researched, and rather than focusing on fictional, yet explosive plot details (keep in mind I'm only on the first season, so can't comment on the second where pretty sure they delve into unverified, though probable stories of affairs), like many other shows about the royal family, it is a lot more character driven. I do wonder though whether they are being a bit too kind to some members of the royal family, in particular Queen Elizabeth. Maybe its just my innate distrust of the monarchy talking aha, but I think she's coming off quite well in this show aha.

Overall, I recommend :) Though it would probably be better to go into it with some understanding of the basic history of the royal family in the 20th century, as it can sometimes get a bit confusing. You don't need to know that much, but a bit about the abdication of Edward VIII wouldn't go a miss :)

omg yayayayaya the crown!!! i definitely agree with the portrayal of some characters being too kind, like i expected queen elizabeth to be a bit more pretentious and bitchy but i'll take what i can get.

i hope you continue to watch the show (i've just finished season 2!)

I love watching TV shows and finding some new good ones! Some of my ultimate favourites right now vv

Outlander: It's already been mentioned but I love this show so much!! Made me fall in love with historical dramas and movies + Jamie Fraser is A+ good-looking!
Riverdale: Someone already said this show was over-rated and I agree too, but once you start watching, you honestly get hooked. All episodes are on Netflix so you don't have to scour the internet for them.
Skam: Norwegian teen drama show WHICH IS SO GOOD. Every season is about a different main character and it explores a bunch of topics like sexual violence, religion, sexuality, mental illness, teenage relationships etc. It's so good and the character development is amazing.
Good Morning Call: Japanese teen drama show which is on Netflix. I don't usually watch Japanese dramas but this one's pretty cute and the acting's not that bad. It's based on a manga and all two seasons are on NF.

yaaaassss outlander. so good.

where can you watch skam?? it's been recommended so many times (not here, but tumblr hypes it up a lot) and it sounds awesome.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2017, 08:55:23 pm »
+2
i definitely get you on brooklyn nine-nine. the first few episodes are a bit cringey, but once you push through it's worth it - brooklyn nine-nine is definitely one of my favourite shows.

^^^^^ this is a pretty good description of brooklyn nine-nine (although i love all the characters)

B99 is one show that actually mainntains quality if not gets better along the seasons. I recently just finished the 2nd half of season 4 and the avaliable episodes of season 5.

Fav characters?

also someone recommend  me something, idealling something with episode lengths 20-30mins. If it's 40-45mins I'm unlikely to watch unless it's on the level of breaking bad/suits
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:57:14 pm by Sine »

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 09:05:05 pm »
+1
yaaaassss outlander. so good.

where can you watch skam?? it's been recommended so many times (not here, but tumblr hypes it up a lot) and it sounds awesome.

yes!! i need to catch up with the latest season of outlander LOL i've been dedicating most of my time to riverdale haha

Mod edit: Removed link that promotes copyright infringement.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:10:21 pm by Aaron »
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 09:28:06 pm »
+1
B99 is one show that actually mainntains quality if not gets better along the seasons. I recently just finished the 2nd half of season 4 and the avaliable episodes of season 5.

Fav characters?

also someone recommend  me something, idealling something with episode lengths 20-30mins. If it's 40-45mins I'm unlikely to watch unless it's on the level of breaking bad/suits

Damn, you are convincing me to give B99 another crack :P

The Good Place's on Netflix episodes are 20-30 minutes long (I've never watched it though).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:32:01 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:14 pm »
+1

Fav characters?

definitely agree. b99 has only gotten better, and i'm always so excited to see new episodes!

my favourite character is probably jake, followed by holt.

i'm just about to go into the office (always freezes when i try to watch it?? don't know why) and parks and rec. i've heard good things about them so maybe you can try those out?

also: why is suits so bad?? love that show. a bit cringey at times because harvey and mike say stuff where i'm just "ugh" but yea. some characters get annoying but i love the character development in most!

yes!! i need to catch up with the latest season of outlander LOL i've been dedicating most of my time to riverdale haha
i usually watch skam on dailymotion! if you type in the season and episode into google, dailymotion links usually come up w/ english subtitles. i also stream it with links from --removed-- tumblr post

thank you so much!!

The Good Place's on Netflix episodes are 20-30 minutes long (I've never watched it though).

yayayayayayay go b99!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:12:57 pm by Aaron »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »
+2
definitely agree. b99 has only gotten better, and i'm always so excited to see new episodes!

my favourite character is probably jake, followed by holt.

i'm just about to go into the office (always freezes when i try to watch it?? don't know why) and parks and rec. i've heard good things about them so maybe you can try those out?

also: why is suits so bad?? love that show. a bit cringey at times because harvey and mike say stuff where i'm just "ugh" but yea. some characters get annoying but i love the character development in most!

thank you so much!!

yayayayayayay go b99!
whoops sorry for the double negative I said " I'm unlikely to watch unless it's on the level of breaking bad/suits" ;)
suits is easily one of the best tv shows I've seen.

thanks for the suggestions

The Good Place is actually always recommended for me on Netflix

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:29:54 pm by Sine »

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 11:36:34 pm »
+2

If you haven't seen them, I'd highly recommend all of Community, Parks & Rec, Silicon Valley, BoJack Horseman, Nathan for You and Vice Principals.
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2017, 02:39:14 pm »
If you haven't seen them, I'd highly recommend all of Community, Parks & Rec, Silicon Valley, BoJack Horseman, Nathan for You and Vice Principals.
I've seen:
Community (first few seasons are some of the best tv out)
Silicon Valley (a bit niche imo and I'm not too interested in tech so didn't really get immersed in it)
BoJack Horseman

I'll have a look at the other ones, thankyou for the suggestions. :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2017, 02:56:28 pm »
+2
It seems most people here are using Netflix? Is anyone using Stan or SBS on Demand?

My Suits update: Final episode of season 4. Currently writing a Suits/HSC Legal Studies guide! My binge is worthwhile! ;)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »
It seems most people here are using Netflix? Is anyone using Stan or SBS on Demand?

My Suits update: Final episode of season 4. Currently writing a Suits/HSC Legal Studies guide! My binge is worthwhile! ;)

yea pretty much! i tried sbs on demand for brooklyn nine-nine, but it was super laggy and low quality so i gave up there.

excited to read the guide you're writing!