Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 11, 2024, 11:31:11 pm

Author Topic: Does information from Legal Studies carry on to Law at uni?  (Read 1137 times)  Share 

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
Does any of the information you learn year 12 from Legal Studies carry on to Law at uni? I'm really interested in Law but I'm worried that I'll be disadvantaged because I didn't do the subject in year 12
2018 HSC

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Does information from Legal Studies carry on to Law at uni?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:33:17 pm »
+1
Legal Studies is more of a social outlook on the law, rather than actually studying The Law which is what a law degree teaches you (can't be exactly sure because I don't do law).

I think it's more background knowledge from Legal (and other subjects) that you can take into un, depending on your degreei. For example, for the course I'm doing now, I've used a bit from Legal and Modern, so some stuff has been easier to understand.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Does information from Legal Studies carry on to Law at uni?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 07:40:45 pm »
+2
Does any of the information you learn year 12 from Legal Studies carry on to Law at uni? I'm really interested in Law but I'm worried that I'll be disadvantaged because I didn't do the subject in year 12

I didn't do legal studies in High School, but I'm in my fourth year of Law at the moment. I can tell you for an absolute fact that you won't be disadvantaged AT ALL if you do law, just because you didn't do legal studies. I think legal studies might be a great way of determining whether you're interested in law, but it definitely doesn't actually benefit your study of the law at university!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW