Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 03:57:42 pm

Author Topic: how to calm nerves??  (Read 1876 times)  Share 

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
how to calm nerves??
« on: November 11, 2020, 09:48:27 am »
+1
the psych exam is tmw and its my first VCE exam and I'm feeling really nervous and panicked. I feel like I'm going to panic in the exam and forget all the content, which I know is irrational but its scaring me.

Does anyone have any advice on how to calm myself down about the exam?

Thank you!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: how to calm nerves??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 11:15:20 am »
+5
Hey MoonChild!

I felt the same way, particularly in yr 11 (i think this year is a good practice for yr 12).
Here are some things I did when I was nervous about the exams, I hope they can help
-bring a book and arrive early and read beforehand
-remind yourself that you've done practice exams beforehand and you know the content
-positive self talk thoughts (YOU'RE GONNA SMASH IT! )
-avoid talking to other nervous people who are trying to read through notes beforehand
-yoga (Idk about nerves, but it helps you feel more awake and energised in the morning) yoga suggestion (I did this before my oral exam)
-get a good sleep
-remember everyone else is feeling nervous too you aren't alone
-smile (I started doing involuntary crazy smiling before my first exam and I reckon it helps a bit maybe as an outlet for nervous energy and also makes you feel a little confident)
-this might be a weird thing but I tell my family not to say 'good luck' to me because I find that it triggers nerves in myself, (this might be just me though?)

YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT DON'T LET YOUR BRAIN TELL YOU OTHERWISE
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 11:37:24 am »
thank you Owlbird!!

this is great advice :) It just seems like such a big deal to me and I just hope my hard work pays off in the end

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 11:50:47 am »
+3
thank you Owlbird!!

this is great advice :) It just seems like such a big deal to me and I just hope my hard work pays off in the end

I hope it helps a bit! Yeah definitely, someone told me recently during a job interview that it's okay to be nervous because it shows you care about the thing!

A perspective that was helpful for me was to think of it not as everything being decided in those 3h, but instead that your score has basically already been decided before you go into the exam, and what happens on the day is only going to affect your score a small amount. I think this takes some pressure off, because it's the revision and preparation that you've already done that's going to be the major factor in how well you perform, it's only a small percent that's left to chance/uncertaintly, so that might help with making your thoughts a bit more rational? I can totally relate though about irrational worry haha.

Also, I think it's pretty likely that you'll be more nervous beforehand and in the reading time than when you start answering the questions, you'll start to relax as time goes on because you know the stuff and you've practiced it before.  :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:30:30 pm »
+3
Been a good while since I did Psych (or an exam in general), but as a fellow stresshead, I totally relate!

A couple more tips that were missed (I think):
- when you get seated, take a few deep breaths and, like Owlbird said, positive self talk.
- figure out your game plan on how you’ll tackle the exam, either while you’re waiting or while you’re seated. (May not be helpful for everyone but personally, I have found it helpful to plan. Previously, I’ve felt guilty that I wasn’t concentrating on the exam but this was a good compromise.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread