Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 10:43:08 pm

Author Topic: Last Minute Legal Studies Exam Preparation - Tutor On Demand  (Read 1192 times)  Share 

ProtonStar

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ๏̯͡๏)
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Mount Lilydale Mercy College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Last Minute Legal Studies Exam Preparation - Tutor On Demand
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »
+2
Although I don't do Legal Studies, I did find this while I was studying for Psychology online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTACgQ0q08I&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP5D9F73A8FA9AD84E

I can't tell you how helpful it is, but it's 'Tutor On Demand' which is a seven-video lecture (15-30 minutes long) which can help those who prefer human interaction when studying. Hopefully it could get your head around specific topics.

Enjoy and good luck for the upcoming exam :)
ATAR - 91.10

2012 - Bachelor of Arts at Deakin

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: Last Minute Legal Studies Exam Preparation - Tutor On Demand
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:52:01 pm »
Yeah I noticed these guys popping up on youtube. I think they cover a variety of subjects for free till the end of this year.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

ProtonStar

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ๏̯͡๏)
  • Respect: +8
  • School: Mount Lilydale Mercy College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:04:39 am »
Bump, seeing how it's closer to exam :)
ATAR - 91.10

2012 - Bachelor of Arts at Deakin

lukew

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 12:07:00 pm »
8 minutes in, the tutor says that a charge of culpable driving would be heard in the County Court, due to it being a homicide. Unless I'm mistaking, isn't homicide heard in the Supreme Court?

RobDog

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:20:18 pm »
From the Assessment Report:
Culpable driving is an indictable offence and is within the jurisdiction of the County Court. It cannot be heard summarily and therefore cannot be heard by the Magistrates’ Court (which can hear other driving offences). Some students who may have studied the R v Towle culpable driving case wrote the Supreme Court (which did hear the culpable driving offence in that instance). The County Court was the most likely court that would have heard Carl’s case. By reason of this all three courts were accepted as answers. 

Anyway, my teacher taught us that 'murder' related were heard in the Supreme Court, but Culpable Driving was heard in the County.
Also, is there a way to view part 2 of this video? it tells me that its restricted or something...

lukew

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:58 pm »
Well that would explain it, my teacher also taught me that homicide is Supreme, lesser indictable offences are county.

I think the parts 2-7 are restricted unless you 'buy' the tutor. :(

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -18
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »
Murder is treated as 'very serious' indictable offense, and hence heard in the Supreme, as well as  Manslaughter. However, Culpable driving is treated as a 'less serious' indictable offense and therefore heard in the County Court. It's when a person drives a vehicle recklessly, often 'whilst under the influence of a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the motor vehicle.' Unlike Murder, there wasn't really any intention to kill the person. And yes, it sounds very familiar with manslaughter which is heard in the Supreme Court, however the degree of culpability might still be considered higher than someone is being charged with culpable driving.
Law is a kind of justice. It is not perfect justice, it is only a kind of justice.

- John Young, Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria.