Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 05, 2024, 12:29:55 pm

Author Topic: How Do Uni Offers Work?  (Read 10810 times)  Share 

TyErd

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1
How Do Uni Offers Work?
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:51:44 am »
I dont get how it works. Like do we have to decline our first offer to see if we get another offer or does the order your put your preferences really affect whether you get offers or not. I really don't know what happens with this first round and second round offers and what you actually get the day you recieve offers, is it just one or multiple offers?. All I know is that we need to list a bunch a uni courses through vtac. Can someone explain all this to me?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:22:05 pm by Gloamglozer »
"Don’t ever let somebody tell you you can’t do something, not even me.  Alright?  You got a dream, you gotta protect it.  People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it.  If you want something, go get it, period." - Chris Gardner

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: How Do Uni Offers Work?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »
You list all your preferences via VTAC and the rest is taken care of for you. In January you'll get your offer through VTAC and you'll also get an enrolment package from your uni (enrolling is the single most irritating/time consuming thing you will do, get it done early in case you have a problem). You can get a second round offer despite getting a first round offer - you don't have to decline it. That said, getting a second round offer is reliant on some people rejecting/there being places available after the first round offers go out.

The order of your preferences does affect offers. If you get your first preference, you won't get your second (as far as I know). That's why you're generally advised to put your dream course at #1.

That's just what I know, somebody else might come along and clarify it :)

crayolé

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:48:15 pm »
To my knowledge, for first round, you'll get your highest preference (lets say #3).
 For second round offers, if by some chance your first preference had many people decline during first round offers, you could get an offer for it. You won't get any offers for your preferences lower than #3 (#4-9 is out the door)

Im not sure, teachers should be talking to kids about it soonish

TyErd

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »
So you only get one offer the first time?
"Don’t ever let somebody tell you you can’t do something, not even me.  Alright?  You got a dream, you gotta protect it.  People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it.  If you want something, go get it, period." - Chris Gardner

_avO

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:59:45 pm »
What if you get #3 as your first round offer, and you accept, if your #2 preference was available during the 2nd round offer, can you accept that one? and decline the #3 offer you just accepted? O.O
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:00:33 pm »
What if you get #3 as your first round offer, and you accept, if your #2 preference was available during the 2nd round offer, can you accept that one? and decline the #3 offer you just accepted? O.O

Yes. Always accept your first offer.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

_avO

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »
Cool thanks for that :)
2011-2014: Bachelor of Commerce/Economics @ Monash Clayton

TyErd

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:18:06 pm »
so that means you can still get offers even after you have accepted? How many can you accept before you start declining? Also how do you receive your offers? is it like an email or something?

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »
so that means you can still get offers even after you have accepted? How many can you accept before you start declining?

Yes. I ended up getting two offers. I don't know what the limit is but I'm guessing two since there are two rounds of offers... (or maybe three, I forget?)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 02:13:08 pm »
so that means you can still get offers even after you have accepted? How many can you accept before you start declining?

Yes. I ended up getting two offers. I don't know what the limit is but I'm guessing two since there are two rounds of offers... (or maybe three, I forget?)

I thought it was just two offers, one from first round and then a second higher in the preference if you hadn't gotten your first.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »

I thought it was just two offers, one from first round and then a second higher in the preference if you hadn't gotten your first.

There used to be three rounds back in our day Ninwa... you forget that we are old now and things have changed :P

I think it's been two rounds for a while.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||