Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 11:38:45 pm

Author Topic: Tutors at university  (Read 1308 times)  Share 

lanvins

Tutors at university
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:34:31 pm »
Out of curiosity, why don't students at university seem to need tutors? Is it because the work is easier to understand or something? Thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:40:25 pm by lanvins »

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
Re: Tutors at university
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:40:08 pm »
Some do. I worked at the Jabal Centre at ANU, which employs students to tutor indigenous students at ANU.

For the most part however, tutors aren't really necessary. Why? Well for most subjects, as well as a few hours of lectures a week, you have tutorials, where you work through problems, discuss the content covered in class, with a "tutor" (usually a graduate student in that area, or the lecturer himself). The lecturers usually have office hours in which you can approach them and ask for help if you're struggling with content. There are other safety nets in place as well - I know in the maths department at ANU, there's a help session run by later year students for first years a couple of hours every week.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:28:26 pm »

Exactly... the BusEco faculty @ Monash has a 'Help Desk' program as well... (sounds v. similar 2 ur thingy humph)

If ur friends can't help u, and ur tutor can't help u, and ur lecturer can't help u, AND the ppl on the help desk can't help u, then I don't think a private tutor is going 2 have much luck... XD XD
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Odette.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »
I actually hired a tutor for a couple of weeks for economics... I was struggling with a few of the concepts, and the lecturer, tutor.. [the university tutor] couldn't help me and suggested I find a tutor.. funnily enough her and I are pretty good friends now... and it paid off getting a tutor... 96% for Eco ! *jumps up and down*... I guess with the amount of help there is out there.. not many students will need a tutor... however I probably will offer my tutoring services to anyone in the same course as me who is struggling... :D