Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 02, 2024, 11:46:25 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 573556 times)  Share 

Anfar3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1470 on: October 19, 2017, 01:17:31 pm »
Hey Jamon,

How should I structure parts of my response if I was exploring multiple aspects of the syllabus but also exploring different responses within those muliple aspects. E.g. If I was structuring a response to the effectiveness of the law in relation to relationship breakdowns - my structure would be intro, divorce, children, property, dispute resolution mechanisms and domestic violence. However, if i wanted to explore 2 or 3 aspects of children in this question would i do 2 or 3 paragraphs for children or just write them in 1 paragraph as a whole?

Also, which aspects of the family syllabus should I write about for a non-complaince and compliance essay?

Thanks!

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1471 on: October 19, 2017, 03:00:17 pm »
Hi there! You won't believe that my memory knew this came into play on June 1st of 2015 - it was in my own HSC! Here's a link to what I think you're after! I found it because I could remember the date to google lol. However, this is not an amendment to the act you've mentioned, I can only find Queensland documents for that one! Is this the same, or are you referring to a different thing?

Sounds like a great argument you're building!

Definitely! Creation of new laws is definitely a reform, even though I know "reform" implies changing something already existing - see it more as changing the overall body of laws :) So yep, new legislation slips in there! :)

So just to clarify, lets say the question asked for law reform in trial process (i know this is specific but hypothetical) I could argue the effectiveness of legislation within each syllabus point of sentencing? e.g.
The effectiveness of having different courts for trailing different matters because each court is created by its own legislation i.e.
Drug Court -  Drug Court Act 1998 (NSW)
Children’s court - Children’s Court Act 1987 (NSW)
Because then i can limit the amount i have to memorise because I use these same LCMID's for if a question was "balancing rights in trial process".
I'm asking this because at the moment the sort of LCMID I used for a reform question I answered is framed to answer that question specifically and I just want the LCMID I use to be flexible. Also, I want to know how many posts away i am from being able to have something marked? Thanks :)

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1472 on: October 19, 2017, 03:05:25 pm »
Hey I was wondering how mnay examples I would need to have for police powers? (eg cases/media.....) there seems to be so much to talk about! At the moment I've got stuff on the use of technology, the case of Roberto curti (taser powers) is that enough? or do you think I need to talk about the increased powers with regard to terrorism? Thanks heaps :)

toasted

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1473 on: October 19, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
Hey!

How would I go about answering an essay question which was about the theme compliance and non-compliance regarding family law? what aspects of the syllabus could I potentially talk about?

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1474 on: October 19, 2017, 06:26:40 pm »
+2
Hey!

How would I go about answering an essay question which was about the theme compliance and non-compliance regarding family law? what aspects of the syllabus could I potentially talk about?

Hey! I think you could definitely talk about domestic violence- the limitations of ADVOS for victims, there are a few cases you could mention
Also you could structure your essay around the fact that he family law system is designed to encourage compliance, through family dispute resolutions, compulsory conciliation for separating couples and making parenting plans. All of these measures are designed to enable the parties involved to come to a decision that best suits their needs without the court's involvement. That's all that come to mind at the moment- hope it helps!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:54:47 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1475 on: October 19, 2017, 07:56:17 pm »
Hey Jamon,

How should I structure parts of my response if I was exploring multiple aspects of the syllabus but also exploring different responses within those muliple aspects. E.g. If I was structuring a response to the effectiveness of the law in relation to relationship breakdowns - my structure would be intro, divorce, children, property, dispute resolution mechanisms and domestic violence. However, if i wanted to explore 2 or 3 aspects of children in this question would i do 2 or 3 paragraphs for children or just write them in 1 paragraph as a whole?

Also, which aspects of the family syllabus should I write about for a non-complaince and compliance essay?

Thanks!

Hey! From your description I'd probably put everything about children in one paragraph, everything about property in another, etc ;D

And I'll refer you to the post above for a great answer about compliance in the Family Law section ^^ ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1476 on: October 19, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »
+1
Hey I was wondering how mnay examples I would need to have for police powers? (eg cases/media.....) there seems to be so much to talk about! At the moment I've got stuff on the use of technology, the case of Roberto curti (taser powers) is that enough? or do you think I need to talk about the increased powers with regard to terrorism? Thanks heaps :)

As many as you can feasibly remember! Why have a cap, the more evidence the better!! ;)

It does sound like what you've got is definitely substantial, though there is some great stuff on terrorism too - If you want to, definitely worth learning! But you are in a good spot already ;D

So just to clarify, lets say the question asked for law reform in trial process (i know this is specific but hypothetical) I could argue the effectiveness of legislation within each syllabus point of sentencing? e.g.
The effectiveness of having different courts for trailing different matters because each court is created by its own legislation i.e.
Drug Court -  Drug Court Act 1998 (NSW)
Children’s court - Children’s Court Act 1987 (NSW)
Because then i can limit the amount i have to memorise because I use these same LCMID's for if a question was "balancing rights in trial process".
I'm asking this because at the moment the sort of LCMID I used for a reform question I answered is framed to answer that question specifically and I just want the LCMID I use to be flexible. Also, I want to know how many posts away i am from being able to have something marked? Thanks :)

I like your approach, I think it works well! Just be sure to remember the legislation and such separately to how you argue it, like, have a well rounded understanding of your evidence such that you can use it broadly ;D

And you've already got enough to get something marked (155), your next one will be 205 ;D

austv99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1477 on: October 20, 2017, 10:02:50 am »
Anyone got LCMs for technology in the consumer option topic? It seems pretty bare and im struggling to put together an essay plan.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1478 on: October 20, 2017, 10:38:26 am »
+2
Anyone got LCMs for technology in the consumer option topic? It seems pretty bare and im struggling to put together an essay plan.
Hey,
I haven't really found a lot of cases for consumers but here are some media:
- Fraudulent Airbnb listings increasing, with $88,000 lost to consumers last year (SMH, 2017)
- Fake online reviews: How masking can hide negative comments on TripAdvisor(SMH, 2016)
- iPhone 'error 53': ACCC takes Apple to court over allegations of misleading and deceptive behaviour (SMH, 2017)
- In your Facebook (SMH, 2008). This one isn't as recent, but weirdly the one I have printed out says 2011 while the online one I found says 2008.

I think some of these articles would be able to be used for technology as well.
Hope these help!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #1479 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:57 am »
Soooo many people are thinking at least one of the options questions will be compliance and non-compliance. Wondering how true this may be? Know it is all speculation but are predictions usually right in legal?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1480 on: October 20, 2017, 02:10:24 pm »
Soooo many people are thinking at least one of the options questions will be compliance and non-compliance. Wondering how true this may be? Know it is all speculation but are predictions usually right in legal?

It hasn't been asked in ages, so maybe! Don't go in relying on it, but definitely be ready for it ;D

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1481 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:39 pm »
Any predictions for Crime and Family?
I hope it's compliance and non-compliance for consumers!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1482 on: October 22, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
Any predictions for Crime and Family?
I hope it's compliance and non-compliance for consumers!!

For crime - law reform is the top guess from Jamon and I. I have heard a lot of students say that them and their teachers have been focusing on the Sentencing and Punishment part of the syllabus especially in preparation for a question on that. So it could be a situation of tying a theme and challenge with a main part of the syllabus like that? (In saying this - it could be anything :P)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ash_mcalpine

• Adventurer
« Reply #1483 on: October 22, 2017, 08:24:50 pm »
Hey, so you guys were able to peg the crime question for last years paper, I was wondering what you thought the 2017 crime question will be on??

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1484 on: October 22, 2017, 08:31:46 pm »
Hey, so you guys were able to peg the crime question for last years paper, I was wondering what you thought the 2017 crime question will be on??

Thanks

I got it in 2015 too ;)

Elyse and I are both betting law reform this year, and as mentioned above, possibly linked to a specific syllabus area. But I am more inclined to believe they will keep things general ;D