Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 04:55:04 pm

Author Topic: Am I wasting time at uni?  (Read 2866 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Am I wasting time at uni?
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:27:56 pm »
I'm about to start second level of my science degree. I still haven't decided on a major, in fact I've only chose 2 subjects this semester and uni starts next week. Basically I started out with the intention of getting into medicine but that's a dream I'm losing interest in. I did biology and chemistry in year 1, and am doing physiology this semester to sort of test the waters of premed (might do anatomy and biochemistry next semester if I enjoy it). It really seems like either I major in Bioengineering or math, or anything engineering based. Yet I have zero interest into taking up math subjects, I actually did psychology just to meet the quantitative requirement.

So am I really just wasting time? I don't think there's a single major I can choose that will lead to anywhere  :'(

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: Am I wasting time at uni?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:11 pm »
+6
I'm about to start second level of my science degree. I still haven't decided on a major, in fact I've only chose 2 subjects this semester and uni starts next week. Basically I started out with the intention of getting into medicine but that's a dream I'm losing interest in. I did biology and chemistry in year 1, and am doing physiology this semester to sort of test the waters of premed (might do anatomy and biochemistry next semester if I enjoy it). It really seems like either I major in Bioengineering or math, or anything engineering based. Yet I have zero interest into taking up math subjects, I actually did psychology just to meet the quantitative requirement.

So am I really just wasting time? I don't think there's a single major I can choose that will lead to anywhere  :'(

Why does it seem like you can only major in Bioeng or Maths when you don't want to enrol in maths subjects?  I don't understand the logic/reasoning here.  Why have you given up on Med? 

I also don't quite know what you mean by 'leading to anywhere'.  An undergrad Bachelor of Science ultimately won't really get you a job these days, so it doesn't really matter what you major in.  You will require at least Honours or a Masters degree as well.  (In before someone jumps down my throat "You can get a lab technician job with a B Sci etc etc etc..." yes, yes.)

Honestly you should major in your undergrad in what you are most interested in.  Any major in B Sci will keep lots of postgrad options open for you.  But ultimately you need to really sit down and have a good think about what you want to do.  What do you enjoy?  What kind of job can you see yourself doing?  What kind of environment might you want to work in? 

Other more pragmatic things to determine your major might be, what specific subjects have you done in the past?  You might be out of the running for some higher level subjects now, because of prerequisites etc etc.  Did you take Calculus, Linear Algebra etc in Year 1?  I assume so because you say Bioengineering is an option? But this means that you only have Engineering Mathematics to go and then there's no more core maths? 

You have 35 majors to choose from.  If NONE of them appeal, then maybe B Sci is not for you? 
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:30:51 pm »
Thank you for that reply hobbitle!

I just feel like bioengineering seems to be the 'future', that's where all the most exciting jobs and opportunities to change the world seem to be. Yet I've just never felt I was the engineering 'type'. The reason I changed my mind about medicine is, to put it bluntly, I'm not smart enough to make it. Nor do I see myself handling the stress of that career path.

You make a good point about choosing what interest me, but it seems what interests me isn't that academically impressive, to give you an example, 'food science' was one of my shortlisted choices. I'm really overwhelmed by all the choices and lack of knowledge about where my choices could lead, and have just one more day to really decide. My talents seem to lie more in commerce type subjects, and psychology since I received H1's relatively easily doing them but pure science seems to be a more fulfilling pathway to take. I suppose I should just focus on the undergrad as a hurdle for a masters?

Inside Out

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:58:26 am »
Thank you for that reply hobbitle!

I just feel like bioengineering seems to be the 'future', that's where all the most exciting jobs and opportunities to change the world seem to be. Yet I've just never felt I was the engineering 'type'. The reason I changed my mind about medicine is, to put it bluntly, I'm not smart enough to make it. Nor do I see myself handling the stress of that career path.

You make a good point about choosing what interest me, but it seems what interests me isn't that academically impressive, to give you an example, 'food science' was one of my shortlisted choices. I'm really overwhelmed by all the choices and lack of knowledge about where my choices could lead, and have just one more day to really decide. My talents seem to lie more in commerce type subjects, and psychology since I received H1's relatively easily doing them but pure science seems to be a more fulfilling pathway to take. I suppose I should just focus on the undergrad as a hurdle for a masters?
'

maybe you should consider being a psychologist? are you interested in research? There are heaps of options there psych/bio wise.
If you have taken calc/lin algebra and didn't enjoy them i suggest you don't even consider going anywhere near engineering.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:49 am »
You are starting your second level in 2nd semester? I am a little confused.

You still have time to choose a major for sure, make sure in your second level to choose subjects that will lead you into a major (check the handbook). Ultimately, you will have to decide sometime. I know you may be afraid of choosing the wrong major and other anxieties around issues like that but ultimately at some stage you just have to close your eyes and take a plunge into the unknown.

I ont know how you figured out your only options are bioengineering or math? You havent even chosen your level 2 subjects yet! If these are the only majors you like, go for it then!

There will be a lot of math in engineering, it will constantly haunt you. If you do not like it or you are not good at it, it is worth considering how tolerable you will find it.  It is also worth considering whether the image of engineering you have in your head matches reality.

Learning and going to uni is definitely not a waste of time, even if it leads nowhere (it almost often leads somewhere though).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:39:00 am »
I just feel like bioengineering seems to be the 'future', that's where all the most exciting jobs and opportunities to change the world seem to be.

At this point in time, in Australia, this is incorrect.  R&D in this area (it's my major) is almost non existent outside of the US.  Obviously none of us have a crystal ball but right now, but it seems like Bioengineering is not a 'safe' industry to be going into in Australia as it is not being nurtured or valued at all. 

Yet I've just never felt I was the engineering 'type'.

Then don't pursue it!

The reason I changed my mind about medicine is, to put it bluntly, I'm not smart enough to make it. Nor do I see myself handling the stress of that career path.
Well, I'm not in a position to say whether you are or aren't 'smart' enough although that whole concept in itself is up for debate (about what kind of smarts you need for Med).

You make a good point about choosing what interest me, but it seems what interests me isn't that academically impressive, to give you an example, 'food science' was one of my shortlisted choices.

An undergrad in Food Science won't get you anywhere but nor will an undergrad in any of the 35 majors available.  Food science could lead to a postgrad in food technology, or biotechnology, or something, which could be a really massive industry in the future.  We are constantly trying to find ways to make us healthier, to make food more economical, etc etc etc.  I'm sure the scope is much bigger than that but I can't really be bothered thinking too hard about it, all I'm saying is that, doing Food Science if you enjoy it and find it interesting is as good a major as any when it comes to Undergrad Science.

I'm really overwhelmed by all the choices and lack of knowledge about where my choices could lead

You just have to commit to one.  As i've said - your choice of an undergrad major matters little in the long run.  Do what you enjoy.

My talents seem to lie more in commerce type subjects, and psychology since I received H1's relatively easily doing them but pure science seems to be a more fulfilling pathway to take.
Neuroscience?
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:57:37 am »
I think if you want to continue with Science you should aim for something in the industry field and not pure research.  If you think the stress of a medical career will be too much for you, the stress of research science (at least in life sciences) will be all too similar. Unless you like competing for money all the time, 16 hour days and no weekends, thousands of deadlines etc.  Like, you need to be passionate about the field to exist in pure research science.

Industry gives you money, you can work <15 hours a day (\o/) and you get weekends.

Do what Hobbitle says - find something that interests you in undergrad and worry about the details of the matter later.  And who cares if you don't know what major you want to do now?  I didn't decide on a major until the end of my second year and I almost didn't pick MIIM.  Now I devote literally 98% of my time to it and I'm horrendously in love with it.  I'm sure you will find something that interests you if you just keep exploring.  Second year is a better indicator.  Just go through the handbook and find things that sound interesting - within reason, if you're missing a prereq and you have a good grade, you can usually get a waiver from the university to go into a major (eg if two subjects were required for the third year subjects but you only did one, and you can make a case for yourself deciding to change your path, and you've done similar sorts of subjects which you would have because you do Science).  Also, if you don't know what you're doing in your degree right now definitely avoid breadth in second year if you can and fill up your time with more Science subs to get a better overview of what interests you.

Don't worry about what is 'academically impressive' - when you said that I was quite concerned.  Nothing in your undergrad is academically impressive, it's a black hole of 3 years in which you are meant to ~find yourself.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:47:34 pm »
You are starting your second level in 2nd semester? I am a little confused.

You still have time to choose a major for sure, make sure in your second level to choose subjects that will lead you into a major (check the handbook). Ultimately, you will have to decide sometime. I know you may be afraid of choosing the wrong major and other anxieties around issues like that but ultimately at some stage you just have to close your eyes and take a plunge into the unknown.

I ont know how you figured out your only options are bioengineering or math? You havent even chosen your level 2 subjects yet! If these are the only majors you like, go for it then!

There will be a lot of math in engineering, it will constantly haunt you. If you do not like it or you are not good at it, it is worth considering how tolerable you will find it.  It is also worth considering whether the image of engineering you have in your head matches reality.

Learning and going to uni is definitely not a waste of time, even if it leads nowhere (it almost often leads somewhere though).

Hey there thanks for your response. Yep I'm starting my first level 2 subject this semester, I did a mid-year intake back 2 years ago then did a travel the world thingie now I'm back. I guess you're right I should just make the jump. It's sad tho at this point in my life (that self-discovery phase) I'm just as interested in the art subjects. Might do critical thinking as a breadth.

At this point in time, in Australia, this is incorrect.  R&D in this area (it's my major) is almost non existent outside of the US.  Obviously none of us have a crystal ball but right now, but it seems like Bioengineering is not a 'safe' industry to be going into in Australia as it is not being nurtured or valued at all. 

Then don't pursue it!
Well, I'm not in a position to say whether you are or aren't 'smart' enough although that whole concept in itself is up for debate (about what kind of smarts you need for Med).

An undergrad in Food Science won't get you anywhere but nor will an undergrad in any of the 35 majors available.  Food science could lead to a postgrad in food technology, or biotechnology, or something, which could be a really massive industry in the future.  We are constantly trying to find ways to make us healthier, to make food more economical, etc etc etc.  I'm sure the scope is much bigger than that but I can't really be bothered thinking too hard about it, all I'm saying is that, doing Food Science if you enjoy it and find it interesting is as good a major as any when it comes to Undergrad Science.

You just have to commit to one.  As i've said - your choice of an undergrad major matters little in the long run.  Do what you enjoy.
Neuroscience?

I guess that makes a lot of sense, I never really felt like an undergrad in science really leads to anywhere straight out of uni. A few of my friends are already working as lab technicians but if anything I've learned in chem pracs is that I find that kind of work a bit boring. Maybe because I'm not a chemistry guy to begin with beyond doing it as a pre-req.

Neuroscience would actually be quite up my alley as a major but it's really not something that I can see leading to a legitimate career. I just find that in my personal time I study a lot about brain function and effects of drugs, food and exercise on it.

I think if you want to continue with Science you should aim for something in the industry field and not pure research.  If you think the stress of a medical career will be too much for you, the stress of research science (at least in life sciences) will be all too similar. Unless you like competing for money all the time, 16 hour days and no weekends, thousands of deadlines etc.  Like, you need to be passionate about the field to exist in pure research science.

Industry gives you money, you can work <15 hours a day (\o/) and you get weekends.

Do what Hobbitle says - find something that interests you in undergrad and worry about the details of the matter later.  And who cares if you don't know what major you want to do now?  I didn't decide on a major until the end of my second year and I almost didn't pick MIIM.  Now I devote literally 98% of my time to it and I'm horrendously in love with it.  I'm sure you will find something that interests you if you just keep exploring.  Second year is a better indicator.  Just go through the handbook and find things that sound interesting - within reason, if you're missing a prereq and you have a good grade, you can usually get a waiver from the university to go into a major (eg if two subjects were required for the third year subjects but you only did one, and you can make a case for yourself deciding to change your path, and you've done similar sorts of subjects which you would have because you do Science).  Also, if you don't know what you're doing in your degree right now definitely avoid breadth in second year if you can and fill up your time with more Science subs to get a better overview of what interests you.

Don't worry about what is 'academically impressive' - when you said that I was quite concerned.  Nothing in your undergrad is academically impressive, it's a black hole of 3 years in which you are meant to ~find yourself.

Hmm what exactly is the different between industry and pure research? I'm really not that up to date on science type careers other than medicine related. I definitely wouldn't want that kind of workload, if I don't get into medicine I would be satisfied with a job that pays 45-55k/year. Then I would use my knowledge to start a small company specializing in nutrition or other health optimization methods.

"black hole of 3 years in which you are meant to ~find yourself." really sounds about quite right lol

mahler004

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:52 pm »
Hmm what exactly is the different between industry and pure research? I'm really not that up to date on science type careers other than medicine related. I definitely wouldn't want that kind of workload, if I don't get into medicine I would be satisfied with a job that pays 45-55k/year. Then I would use my knowledge to start a small company specializing in nutrition or other health optimization methods.

"black hole of 3 years in which you are meant to ~find yourself." really sounds about quite right lol

Industry (research and development) - work for a company (e.g. pharma, engineering,) research what they're interested in pursuing and developing. You've got access to much better equipment, but you get told what to do. Separate from industry research, there's QA/QC or manufacturing (although there's not much hi-tech manufacturing in Australia.)

There's not too much of this in Australia - most people move overseas at some point (although plenty come back.)

Academia - work for a university, apply for grants, research what your supervisor wants you to research. Slim chance that you'll some day be in charge of your own lab and research what you want.

For industry research, a PhD is pretty common, although people do get a job with just Honours. For academic research, you need a PhD.
BSc (Hons) 2015 Melbourne

PhD 2016-??? Melbourne

I want to be an architect.

roger.

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »
I think it would help to take time to really digest and think about whether you still want to do medicine. If you think that at the end of the day you still want to study medicine, then it might be best, to endure some subjects that may not be your favourite for the bigger picture. However, if you are sure that you don't want to study medicine and you don't have much interest in any subjects within the science area, you could think about transferring to another course (e.g. commerce, arts, i.t.,e.t.c), or perhaps taking a gap break, and focusing on other things (e.g. travel, before you are sure what you want to do. But another alternative could be for you to finish your science degree, and look at some postgrad courses that you may be interested in. Don't be too stressed because you have a lot of alternatives and you will eventually find out where you fit in :) Hope that helps! Good luck with it!