Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:18:48 am

Author Topic: Melbourne Biomedicine vs Monash Biomedical Science  (Read 3816 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Melbourne Biomedicine vs Monash Biomedical Science
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:52:04 pm »
Hey guys,

As I am interested in the possibility of doing Medicine as a graduate, I have been drawn towards the Biomedicine and Biomedical Science undergraduate degrees from Melbourne and Monash respectively.

I believe I have a decent chance of being accepted into both undergraduate courses, and have received a grant for Melbourne Uni already.

I know the placements for Medicine are difficult to achieve and am therefore also trying to take into consideration the differences in the number of placements for Medicine at each university and the other potential careers leading from these degrees if I am unsuccessful to obtain a Medicine placement.

I would love to hear about your experiences with the universities and courses.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Melbourne Biomedicine vs Monash Biomedical Science
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:56:43 pm »
+6
Hey guys,

As I am interested in the possibility of doing Medicine as a graduate, I have been drawn towards the Biomedicine and Biomedical Science undergraduate degrees from Melbourne and Monash respectively.

I believe I have a decent chance of being accepted into both undergraduate courses, and have received a grant for Melbourne Uni already.

I know the placements for Medicine are difficult to achieve and am therefore also trying to take into consideration the differences in the number of placements for Medicine at each university and the other potential careers leading from these degrees if I am unsuccessful to obtain a Medicine placement.

I would love to hear about your experiences with the universities and courses.

Do the Monash degree. It's a better course imo. Completely anecdotal, but the Monash kids seem to have a more well-rounded degree that actually equips them with skills, whereas biomed at UniMelb is a pretty good example of teaching for cash.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 06:52:02 pm »
+3
Going to tack on one additional comment that I've heard (so please take with a grain of salt until confirmed): Monash postgrad med only takes from Monash undergrads, but Melbourne doesn't exactly differentiate where you come from as long as you've done units in the areas they require.

Someone please confirm this.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 06:59:19 pm »
+3
Going to tack on one additional comment that I've heard (so please take with a grain of salt until confirmed): Monash postgrad med only takes from Monash undergrads, but Melbourne doesn't exactly differentiate where you come from as long as you've done units in the areas they require.

Someone please confirm this.

I can confirm this.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 07:34:55 pm »
Thanks so much guys :)

mobius.strip

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 07:54:30 pm »
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can go into a bit more detail regarding how the courses differ. I'm currently leaning towards biomed at melbourne because it offers breadth subjects and the 99+ guarantee (despite being a questionable fallback since it's so ridiculously expensive) but I might choose monash if the content of the course is generally regarded as better.

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:40 pm »
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can go into a bit more detail regarding how the courses differ. I'm currently leaning towards biomed at melbourne because it offers breadth subjects and the 99+ guarantee (despite being a questionable fallback since it's so ridiculously expensive) but I might choose monash if the content of the course is generally regarded as better.

Have a look at the university handbooks for both courses and you will be able to find the subjects you take within the degree.

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 08:09:48 pm »
+3

You can technically do breadth subjects under the electives component at Monash uni. You can also do a Diploma of Liberal Arts (lets you complete the equivalent of a major from an Arts degree) or Languages if you wanted to do more humanities subjects. The main difference between Monash electives and Unimelb breadth component, is that the Monash model has no restrictions-students can complete Maths/Science subjects in the electives component even if they can studying a degree in that field.

The other main difference between Monash and Unimelb biomed, is that in Monash you don't get to choose your subjects within the biomed component as there is no biomed electives, whereas in Unimelb you have to choose a major (eg. Neuroscience, Immunology etc.).
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb