Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:19:00 pm

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752945 times)  Share 

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: Becoming a Morning Person]
« Reply #1635 on: November 09, 2017, 04:49:51 pm »
+6
I want to become more of a morning person.
Lifehack: don't sleep at night so you're already up in the morning

Should I be concerned that I don't have a part-time job now?
I'm starting to see lots of people I know working and here I am typing this on ATARNotes  :-[
I don't know enough about your past employment history (or lack thereof) and home situation to comment on if you should be concerned or not, but I will say that it'd be a good idea to be working right now -- not only to build up a strong resume, but to become a bit more of an independent person.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1636 on: November 09, 2017, 06:25:09 pm »
+6
I became a morning person maybe a month before my bio exam last year? I found that it really helped me prepare as i could start an exam at 6:30, leave for  school by 8, and therefore be able to complete & mark 2 exams a day before dinner with a normal school load.
I find it much easier to be productive in the morning (after a week of adjustment), and it makes my whole day feel better.

I used to be the kind of person who could stay up 24 hours no problems, but now I'm the kind of person who fell asleep at a friends 18th because usually I would've been asleep 4 hours earlier (woops).

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #1637 on: November 09, 2017, 07:09:10 pm »
+5
Here is the best way I found to become a morning person:

I will push back my bedtime later and later for a week or two and then eventually one day, I'll stay up all night/day and not sleep until like 7pm and ill naturally wake up at like 4am. Of course depending on your timetable this may or may not be feasible, but very often when I found myself not going to class for weeks or in swotvac/exam period, my bed time will go from 3am to 4am to 5am to 6am to 8am to 11am and then i would say "stuff it im not gonna go to bed until 7pm", and then as soon as I do that you instantly become a morning person cos youll naturally wake up at like 4am after sleeping at 7pm and you'll naturally start getting tired at 7pm again lol. I would only do this because once my natural getting sleepy time crosses the sunlight barrier at like 6-7am I know i have no chance of correcting it by sleeping earlier and waking up earlier so I just go all in and become fully nocturnal lmfao.

anyway yeah this is just my advice on how to do it, but if you want to become a morning person very quickly staying up for one full night and pushing through til like 7pm works very well (i am aware it might not be feasible for everyone). Although I will warn you, if you try it you have to push yourself all the way to like at least 6:30pm. When I try to do this and I give in and have a nap in the afternoon it always ends up being like a 2-3 hour nap and my body clock just gets way more screwed up. It always happens after overnight flights too when i cant sleep and I have to have a full day of activites after landing and i get home and just KO.

I personally hate when I'm on a 'morning person' schedule because I am not productive during the day. my house is noisy and i get distracted by people talking to me and wanting to hang out. im at my most productive when i sleep at around 3-4am and wake up at like 10-11am. for the first week of swotvac and the exam period i was regularly going to bed at like 10am and waking up at like 5pm but thats horrible because you just miss out on way too much of the day. This has turned into a weird discussion about sleep patterns but yeah, if you want to become a morning person overnight my best recommendation is to just stay all the way up all through a night and through a day and sleep at like 6-7pm. some people sleep at a normal time like 9pm/10pm and wake up at like 4am then push through the day and that is probably more feasible than what I suggested but I can't do it personally because I end up having naps in the afternoon.
 good luck with your sleep adventures and try not to end up like me

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #1638 on: November 09, 2017, 09:18:18 pm »
+1
I've had a tiring day, and I'm predicting a tiring weekend, based on planned events.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #1639 on: November 09, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »
+3
I became a morning person maybe a month before my bio exam last year? I found that it really helped me prepare as i could start an exam at 6:30, leave for  school by 8, and therefore be able to complete & mark 2 exams a day before dinner with a normal school load.
I find it much easier to be productive in the morning (after a week of adjustment), and it makes my whole day feel better.

I used to be the kind of person who could stay up 24 hours no problems, but now I'm the kind of person who fell asleep at a friends 18th because usually I would've been asleep 4 hours earlier (woops).
Miniturtle, you are the person I aspire to be.

snip
Spec, you'd make a great shiftworker with those sleeping patterns haha.

I really want to get my sleeping pattern going so that I'm in bed/asleep by 11pm - I need to start going to bed before midnight/1am/2am haha. Have struggled a lot with insomnia this semester which has messed me up but I'm hoping I can dedicate myself to getting a good sleeping pattern over the holidays (the odds are not great lol).

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #1640 on: November 09, 2017, 09:43:00 pm »
+3
I am not really a 'morning person' because I have an imsonia/sleeping disorder/trauma (where I only sleep in the middle of the morning because of the psychological fears of being f***** at night), I'm forced to be one because late afternoons are even worse for me energy/mental productivity level. I just make my doctors appointments and mentally consuming activities in the morning where possible, to force myself to be productive at that time of the day.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1641 on: November 10, 2017, 06:56:37 am »
+7
Miniturtle, you are the person I aspire to be.
Spec, you'd make a great shiftworker with those sleeping patterns haha.

I really want to get my sleeping pattern going so that I'm in bed/asleep by 11pm - I need to start going to bed before midnight/1am/2am haha. Have struggled a lot with insomnia this semester which has messed me up but I'm hoping I can dedicate myself to getting a good sleeping pattern over the holidays (the odds are not great lol).

There are some behaviours that help like:
-Downloading a blue light filter (eg f.lux)    (avoiding device use entirely in the hours before sleep is better but lets be realistic)
-Not using the bed for activities such as studying, laptop use, eating etc
-exercising during the day
-limiting caffeine to early in the day
-having a before-sleep schedule
-avoiding sleeping in
-some find it useful to write anything keeping them on edge in a journal before bed
-seeing bright blue light soon after waking
-drinking cold water after waking to make you feel more awake
-timing your sleep/wake time so you wake up at the end of a sleep cycle

Hope some of this is vaugely useful :)

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: Becoming a Morning Person]
« Reply #1642 on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
+4
There are some behaviours that help like:
-Downloading a blue light filter (eg f.lux)    (avoiding device use entirely in the hours before sleep is better but lets be realistic)
-Not using the bed for activities such as studying, laptop use, eating etc
-exercising during the day
-limiting caffeine to early in the day
-having a before-sleep schedule
-avoiding sleeping in
-some find it useful to write anything keeping them on edge in a journal before bed
-seeing bright blue light soon after waking
-drinking cold water after waking to make you feel more awake
-timing your sleep/wake time so you wake up at the end of a sleep cycle

Hope some of this is vaugely useful
To add to the lists of useful tips by miniturtle.
-Don't look at the clock if you have trouble sleeping. The anxiety generated from "Oh no it is x time, I need to sleep NOW!!!" will make you sleep later because your body is stressed.
-Don't look at blue light at least 2 hours before your sleep time (The time when your body hits the bed)
-Be actually tired when you hit the bed. It is common sense, but many people set these predefined times to sleep and they ain't even tired
-On the thing with caffeine, I think the effects like 6 hours or something like that so plan it wisely. The same applies to energy drinks as well.
-If you can't sleep, just get up and exercise like push-ups, pull-ups, starjumps, squats, etc. This will fatigue your body and make it easier for you to sleep.
-Don't do other stuff in your bed besides sleeping. If you do stuff like reading your phone in bed, your mind will associate your bed as looking at your phone.
-Make sure you bed is as dark as possible. This helps your body sleep so blackout curtains, no lights on nearby etc
-Moving your alarm clock away from your bed like another room or your door. This gets you out of bed and less likely to go back in to bed. You can combine this with having multiple alarm clocks like a wind-up clock with a phone alarm
-Trying getting a different alarm like those sensor ones with increasing light levels as it approaches wake up time
-Open the blinds when you get up ASAP. Your body wakes up to sunlight (This IMO is better then the blue light suggested by miniturtle)
-Go camping for a ~1-2 week to reset your circadian rhythm
-Check to make sure your bed's temperature is just right and not too hold or cold. As this can affect duration and quality of sleep.

Extra note, it takes ~1-2 weeks to set this schedule so be patient and keep it consistent. Or you end up like me, where your now trying to fix it but get it broken due to your family's nightly activities >:(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:08:34 pm by zofromuxo »
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1643 on: November 10, 2017, 06:34:29 pm »
+3
The Blind Side gets me in the feels every time.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #1644 on: November 10, 2017, 09:17:49 pm »
+7
I am ironically attending an Extension History Lecture on Rememberance Day

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #1645 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:59 am »
+7
Less than 5 hours sleep + kids athletics meet = a very grouchy insanipi
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #1646 on: November 12, 2017, 03:08:04 am »
+6
I'm really struggling with separating the artist from the art. The most influential black metal band of all time (imo), Mayhem, is performing the most influential black metal album of all time (imo), De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, in its entirety in early 2018. I really want to see it, as it's an album I really enjoy, and this is something they'll never do again.

However, the band history is notoriously disturbing. Murders and the whatnot (anyone heard of Varg? Euronymous? Dead? all from Mayhem). The band is supposedly 'clean' nowadays in that the current members aren't raging psychopaths -- however, I'm finding this a bit difficult to believe 100%, which makes it difficult to buy myself a ticket.

none of the current members are murderers, church arsonists, etc, but the band's taint is permanently embedded in my mind, you feel?

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1647 on: November 12, 2017, 02:14:58 pm »
+7
Ellyse Perry is just amazing.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #1648 on: November 12, 2017, 05:54:40 pm »
+10
The weather really does have a ridiculously large effect on me.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #1649 on: November 12, 2017, 06:18:07 pm »
+6
1. Bless Crash Course for helping a gal out a few days prior to an exam
2. This warm weather makes me want to nap
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!