Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 01:08:53 am

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752661 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2580 on: April 04, 2018, 06:18:27 pm »
+1
So, two knights are travelling through Europe...

This one is particularly humorous when you understand why it's funny.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #2581 on: April 04, 2018, 06:23:49 pm »
+2
This one is particularly humorous when you understand why it's funny.

As opposed to jokes that are humorous when you don't understand them?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

username2000

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2582 on: April 05, 2018, 12:48:41 pm »
As opposed to jokes that are humorous when you don't understand them?
yeah i dont get that ???...is it some famous joke or wot?
then again...no many peops get my jokes.. ::)
something to do with chess?? cos i nvr played that

<<<<ps who likes my meme...got it off the internet 8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:59:35 pm by username2000 »

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2583 on: April 05, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »
I just have a question: is anyone out there on the forums vegetarian/vegan? Why do you do it? How do you do it?
I tried once, and I literally couldn't live without meat. I got weak and fatigued after only a few days, but many people are absolutely fine after years with only a couple of supplements.
I think there might be different energy requirements for different people, and so some can actually do well living off of just vegetables, while others suffer greatly because of their need for more protein and whatever else comes in meat... Just a random thought. :)

(I just ate a meat pie, so this is where my thought process is coming from).
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2584 on: April 05, 2018, 01:09:48 pm »
+2
Not vegetarian (although I will be once I move out of home and have control of what food to buy). A lot of my friends are vegetarian or vegan though. The general consensus is to start by reducing the amount of meat you eat rather than just stop eating it and that nuts are your best friend.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2585 on: April 05, 2018, 01:19:25 pm »
+6
Not vegetarian (although I will be once I move out of home and have control of what food to buy). A lot of my friends are vegetarian or vegan though. The general consensus is to start by reducing the amount of meat you eat rather than just stop eating it and that nuts are your best friend.
And don't forget the tofu! They're high in protein and iron to replace iron from red meat! Anaemia is the worst (my dad and sister have anaemia).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

username2000

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2586 on: April 05, 2018, 01:31:48 pm »
I just have a question: is anyone out there on the forums vegetarian/vegan? Why do you do it? How do you do it?
I tried once, and I literally couldn't live without meat. I got weak and fatigued after only a few days, but many people are absolutely fine after years with only a couple of supplements.
I think there might be different energy requirements for different people, and so some can actually do well living off of just vegetables, while others suffer greatly because of their need for more protein and whatever else comes in meat... Just a random thought. :)

i am totes with yer...meat is the best...no offence to vegans...why do u do it? is it cos u hate animal cruelty?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2587 on: April 05, 2018, 02:40:02 pm »
+7
Provided I can meet my energy, protein and other requirements I'd love to give being a vegetarian a shot. As the year goes on I definitely want to see if I can reduce my meat consumption to maybe once or twice a week.

i am totes with yer...meat is the best...no offence to vegans...why do u do it? is it cos u hate animal cruelty?
A lot of people also go vegetarian or vegan because of environmental reasons - meat production uses a lot of water and has a large environmental impact.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #2588 on: April 05, 2018, 02:52:58 pm »
+5
Mines difficult to explain. I eat meat, for sure. But when I am eating it, in the back of my mind, I know where that meat has come from. And that turns me off it.
Like, that lamb that you are eating. A mother sheep in the world who bore this little lamb, was quite proud of it, and sacrificed to provide it with health, nutrition and safety. Suddenly, that sheep doesn't have a lamb anymore. Doesn't have a baby anymore

If eating meat makes you feel happy, an animal had to die to make you happy.

Not everyone's point of view, but that's mine  ;)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #2589 on: April 05, 2018, 03:18:24 pm »
+2

How was your diet? You need a good diet regardless of your lifestyle, but with a vegetarian/vegan one, I daresay this is even more important.

I was a vegetarian for a few years. I ended up stopping because my family aren't vegetarians and it's just easier to cook one meal for everyone. However, I do try to lower my meat consumption. My reasoning is mainly because the water consumption required for meat production is absolutely fucking absurd.

Nuts and seeds are great snacks. Also, beans will be your best friend. Beans soup with vegetables is pretty much my go-to vegetarian meal, because it's a) tasty af, b) cheap af, and c) healthy.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2590 on: April 05, 2018, 03:22:16 pm »
+5
I've been vegan since year 11 and was vegetarian for a year before that.

Reason I went vegetarian: for the environment (water usage,  pollution, deforestation, global warming,  overfishing & bycatch)
Reason I am vegan: environment + animals
(I can be happy and healthy without supporting industries where beings that have emotions and feel pain are mistreated)

I first wanted to be vegetarian due to discussions in philosophy class in year 7 but mum forbade it as she thought it was unhealthy.  Then in  year 9 after discussions with people at Alpine School I started really wishing I was vego - in year 10 my outdoor ed teachers (who consume meat) showed us a doco about the environmental impact and in it a nutritionist supported veganism.  I did research - now here I am 

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2591 on: April 05, 2018, 03:32:21 pm »
Ooh, wow! SO many replies!

@PhoenixxFire, thanks! I did read up about that and I tried it, but I would get hunger pains no matter what, almost like I'm addicted to meat or something, which sounds weird but I guess it's the best way to describe it. Also, if I didn't eat meat, I would need iron supplements and that would be really frustrating. I feel like I take enough stuff as it is! (that is not an explicit drug reference, I'm talking about medication!!)

@owidjaja, tofu is pretty good for that. Do you eat it often? I try, but I can't help feeling sort of uncomfortable, like it's just some weird salty bland jelly...

@username2000, yes. Meat is sooo good. My main concern is the environmental impact of mainly beef products. Did you know that, in a year, a single cow will produce so much of the greenhouse gas methane that it actually does as much damage to the ozone as four tonnes of CO2? And that's just one cow out of billions. By cutting down meat consumption, we can cut down on ozone damage and help preserve our planet. This is one of the reasons I have tried to go vegetarian before. :)

@K888, that's a good idea. Instead of going completely vegetarian, it would probably be better to eat meat only when you need it. :)

@prickles, I used to think like that, but eventually I realised that I shouldn't feel guilty if I can't help the fact that it died. At least its body is being used to keep us alive and (mostly) happy. We won't be able to avoid the death of animals no matter how hard we try; we, as a species, have developed in such a way that it is extremely difficult to live without meat as a form of sustenance, so yours is a valid point of view - very straight to the point.

@Calebark, I have always been a really healthy eater. I eat a lot of fruit and veg anyway, so I thought I would be fine when I gradually went off meat. But no go. I did all the recommended stuff, ate chickpeas, spinach, nuts, all that stuff, but alas, it was not to be. I ate lots of rice and stuff like vegetarian chili (you know, with beans and sauce and tomatoes) and I enjoy it still, but unfortunately I just wasn't able to sustain it. Maybe it's an issue of self-discipline or I was tricking myself into believing I needed meat, but I got quite sick and tired. *shrugs*

@miniturtle, that's so cool! Good on you. It's fantastic to know there's people out there doing their bit to help. :) Is it an expensive lifestyle, to have to find specific foods? A lot of what I see labelled as 'vegan' have price tags like they're a product of frickin' Gucci.

Thanks for your comments, all. I really appreciate it when my thoughts are answered!! 💖
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2592 on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »
+4
@miniturtle, that's so cool! Good on you. It's fantastic to know there's people out there doing their bit to help. :) Is it an expensive lifestyle, to have to find specific foods? A lot of what I see labelled as 'vegan' have price tags like they're a product of frickin' Gucci.

Thanks for your comments, all. I really appreciate it when my thoughts are answered!! 💖

Thankyou!  No problem :)

If you always eat out or get speciality products that's expensive.  (Though you can get unlimited [vegan] curry + rice and naan for $6 in the cbd but I digress).
On the other hand,  my dinner last night was a chickpea curry and the ingredients for that were quite cheap.

Things that are seen as "normal" rather than a health food also attract a lower cost - veggie burgers are cheaper than vegan nuggets. Most dark chocolate is accidentally vegan and generally cheaper than vegan mylk chocolates etc.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2593 on: April 05, 2018, 05:30:02 pm »
+5
Ooh, wow! SO many replies!

@owidjaja, tofu is pretty good for that. Do you eat it often? I try, but I can't help feeling sort of uncomfortable, like it's just some weird salty bland jelly...

Hey there,
Tofu is a big part of Asian diet lol- we eat it as a savoury food and as a dessert. I think it depends how you cook the tofu because fried tofu is AMAZING!

When I had an overnight stay at a Buddhist temple for my Society & Culture excursion, the temple we stayed only gave us vegetarian food (not all Buddhists are vegetarian but this one was). Although my friend would like to disagree, their tofu was amazing because it was marinated in some sauce- it was really nice! And personally, although I would never go vegetarian/vegan because I'm already a picky eater, the menu at the temple was a great assortment of vegetarian food (fried eggplant was amazing!).

I think when going vegetarian/vegan, you really need to research what non-meat products can replace meat. I gave the example of tofu to replace protein and iron because I remember talking to a substitute teacher who was vegetarian and she was always so tired- not the 'I-slept-late' tired but the 'I-don't-have-the-energy' tired.

What an interesting discussion this thread has become ;D
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2594 on: April 05, 2018, 05:42:51 pm »
+4
There’s a Monash Rd at Melbourne Uni LOL. I guess we know which uni is better ;)

(I actually don’t know which is better I just thought it was funny)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra