Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:01:33 am

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752637 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3210 on: November 02, 2018, 02:47:54 pm »
+8
Having finished all your hsc exams is such a strange feeling...
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3211 on: November 02, 2018, 03:05:24 pm »
+3
Having finished all your hsc exams is such a strange feeling...

Congratulations!!
... and if you don't know what to do with yourself now you could always try one of my suggestions here

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3212 on: November 03, 2018, 07:15:50 pm »
+8
Random thought of the day: I'm pretty sure I've indoctrinated my little sister into basic Marxist principles wtf is going on

I pointed out a gated community and said that it was likely 'people of higher than average socioeconomic status' (i used different wording, obviously) live there. I get an okay, and then I randomly ask do you think rich people should donate their money? She says yes they should, to the poorer people. I said how much and then she says so they all have the same amount of money. I said why? She said because its fair and I just started laughing with a wtf is going on laugh

Oh no (or secretly yes? ???).
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3213 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:11 am »
+5
I just read an article on SMH about studygram...

Compelling articles everyone👌
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #3214 on: November 07, 2018, 08:40:35 pm »
+6
I've actually gone against principle and I'm starting to read a book that I've previously watched the movie for. Feels weird.

(For those interested: the book's Simon vs Homosapien Agenda. I also have bought the other three Becky Albertalli books (including What if it's Us) in the past 8 months :D )
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3215 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:44 pm »
+2
I've actually gone against principle and I'm starting to read a book that I've previously watched the movie for. Feels weird.

(For those interested: the book's Simon vs Homosapien Agenda. I also have bought the other three Becky Albertalli books (including What if it's Us) in the past 8 months :D )

After watching the trailer for the movie 'Love Simon', I made myself restrain from watching the movie until I read the book. I really liked both the book and the movie, I thought they adapted the film well. What did you think?

I recently watched the Ready Player One movie after reading the book, and it was very disappointing in comparison. The book was amazing, I really recommend it!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3216 on: November 08, 2018, 11:12:33 am »
+11
Wouldn’t it be great if there was some way to check that there’s no one on the road behind you before you open your car door?

I say this with the utmost sarcasm, I know I should stop complaining about drivers because it’s a waste of energy and all, but this particular interaction was just too good to pass up.

*driver opens car door behind another bike, right in front of me*
Me: ‘Don’t open your door in front of me’
Driver: ‘Oi get fucked, how am I meant to know you’re there’
Me: ‘Look?!’

It just makes it worse that there was another bike just in front of me, it’s not like he just forgot or whatever, he would have seen that bike go past and he still didn’t, oh I dunno, turn his head slightly?? Look in his mirror??

Far out.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3217 on: November 08, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
+9
PF you should know that side and rear view mirrors, much like the indicator, are a rarely discovered and utilised feature on cars today

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #3218 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:44 pm »
+4
Wouldn’t it be great if there was some way to check that there’s no one on the road behind you before you open your car door?

I say this with the utmost sarcasm, I know I should stop complaining about drivers because it’s a waste of energy and all, but this particular interaction was just too good to pass up.

It just makes it worse that there was another bike just in front of me, it’s not like he just forgot or whatever, he would have seen that bike go past and he still didn’t, oh I dunno, turn his head slightly?? Look in his mirror??

Far out.
Agreed. This happens far too often

PF you should know that side and rear view mirrors, much like the indicator, are a rarely discovered and utilised feature on cars today
Sorry, what are these 'side and rear view mirrors'. I  think you are confused, you do know what a car is? I am fairly sure these are not on them.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

integrationbyrecognition

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3219 on: November 08, 2018, 12:17:03 pm »
+2
That feeling when you want to know your atar but you also don't want to know your atar at the same time because you're scared you're gonna get a bad atar haha :-X

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3220 on: November 08, 2018, 12:21:31 pm »
+5
That feeling when you want to know your atar but you also don't want to know your atar at the same time because you're scared you're gonna get a bad atar haha :-X

very relateable.  Do also try to remember that "bad" is subjective and you can (and most likely will) change what ATARs (if any) fall into that category overtime.
So even if you do get an ATAR that you see as bad,  that same ATAR could be a neutral it positive thing to you later.

Best of luck with the wait - try to distract yourself if you can :)

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #3221 on: November 08, 2018, 12:23:14 pm »
+3

Far out.
There is a thing called dutch reach, it basically means opening your door with your left hand (when driving) - meaning the further away hand - and therefore you should see what is coming even if you don't consciously look... Not a solution but it does help?!
I recently saw a cyclist get doored at an intersection in Melbourne (by a passenger climbing out of the car while stopped at traffic lights), he was thrown off his bike and into the left lane (we were in)... landed right in front of a car which screeched to a stop almost causing us to go up the back of him... very scary for all involved and the passenger just calmly kept climbing out and walked over into the shop while others got out of their cars and helped the cyclist back onto his bike... one man called out that he had it on dashcam and would report it. I don't really know how much can be done about it but it nearly caused the cyclist to be run over and a pile-up!
wow... excuse that rant!
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

integrationbyrecognition

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3222 on: November 08, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
very relateable.  Do also try to remember that "bad" is subjective and you can (and most likely will) change what ATARs (if any) fall into that category overtime.
So even if you do get an ATAR that you see as bad,  that same ATAR could be a neutral it positive thing to you later.

Best of luck with the wait - try to distract yourself if you can :)
how can a bad atar be neutral or positive though?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3223 on: November 08, 2018, 12:35:46 pm »
+3
Agreed. This happens far too often
I’ve got the scars to prove it 🙃

There is a thing called dutch reach, it basically means opening your door with your left hand (when driving) - meaning the further away hand - and therefore you should see what is coming even if you don't consciously look... Not a solution but it does help?!
I recently saw a cyclist get doored at an intersection in Melbourne (by a passenger climbing out of the car while stopped at traffic lights), he was thrown off his bike and into the left lane (we were in)... landed right in front of a car which screeched to a stop almost causing us to go up the back of him... very scary for all involved and the passenger just calmly kept climbing out and walked over into the shop while others got out of their cars and helped the cyclist back onto his bike... one man called out that he had it on dashcam and would report it. I don't really know how much can be done about it but it nearly caused the cyclist to be run over and a pile-up!
wow... excuse that rant!
Yeah the Dutch reach is great, I’ve talked to people about it before but the reaction I normally get is but I do the right thing!/it would take ages to teach people to do that.

It seriously ridiculous how often it happens. There’s been 3 or 4 times just this week that I could have easily ended up in hospital if there’d happened to be another car on the road when people did stupid things. It’s seriously common for cars to hit/almost hit bikes and then yell at us to get out of their way or whatever. It’s almost always other bikes that stop to help, not the drivers. And people wonder why I sometimes ride on the far right of a bike lane (normally so it’s easier to see if cars ahead have lights on/people in them/are about to pull out in front of me/open their door, and it (normally) gets people to go slower when they’re passing me so it’s less likely that I’ll die if I swerve/fall in front of them.)

But I should probably stop derailing this thread haha. (Also I’m a bit upset about it atm because a guy died in QLD a few days ago when he got hit by a car that didn’t give him (the legally required) 1m clearance)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3224 on: November 08, 2018, 12:39:50 pm »
+6
how can a bad atar be neutral or positive though?

Some people might see 60 as a bad ATAR, but then over time go "hang on a second,  60 is better than most of the state" & it might become a good ATAR

Some people might get a "bad" ATAR that results in them accepting a different course but maybe they learn valuable lessons from that and/or are grateful that they didn't do the course they originally wanted - in which case,  the ATAR they got could also be "good"

Some people might find that after a while, the ATAR doesn't mean anything to them, and it becomes neutral

More than happy to have this discussion,  but if you want to continue it we should probably move to a new thread :)