Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:32:52 pm

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752958 times)  Share 

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: Early morning exercise]
« Reply #855 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:05 am »
+13
I'm not posting this for sympathy but I have been in hospital for the last week and I have been diagnosed with a lifelong, chronic condition that can eventually become debilitating and it's keeping me awake so I wanted to dump my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to skip this I just wanted to release my thoughts

I would say to anyone to always cherish your health and never take it for granted. I've had symptoms for a while which I ignored until I needed to be hospitalised, but I always had generally good physical health. All of that was taken away from me when I woke up from a diagnostic procedure and asked the doctor what's wrong
I took mine for granted and if the current treatments I'm undergoing don't work I could deteriorate (although is it possible to live relatively normally with this, the scientific literature I shouldn't have read tells me about third or more of people don't which is too high for me)

I just had a mini meltdown when the reality of the disease progression and side effects of the medications kicked in for me. I initially started crying because of the physical side effects (eg weight gain/fat redistribution, acne). I know it's ridiculous to lament my vanity but out of all the things that could happen, the risk of impaired cognitive function hit me the hardest.
This could take everything away from me but to take my ability to learn, remember and be mentally sharp will end me before anything else does. I can't help but worry about the opportunities I may miss or if I will be able to finish my education and succeed in it. I always took for granted the fact that I can learn anything & work to a high standard if needed. Will that be me anymore? If the physical changes happen I won't feel like myself but my love of learning is me. It's part of my identity & the thought of losing it is terrifying. I love being able to think quickly, to solve complex problems and to be challenged. Will that be possible for me in the future? Will I be discriminated against later on if I have to disclose my condition? Will it affect the jobs I can have?

I also feel I'm potentially mourning a life I haven't even experienced. Will some future man I haven't even met care for me if I'm this way?

Yet I know that there are conditions where devastating effects are confirmed & not just common. Knowing this, I still feel grateful for my life and I know that I am lucky
I (kinda) know how u feel
I had cancer when i was 14-16. I thought the world had ended. But the world keeps going. People keep being nice. People still care. Other people get sick. You can't change that.
But I understand how you feel. Health is something so many young people take for granted, as well as their education, their family, their friends, their appearance...and it's true, you need to cherish what you have and did have. But you need to cherish what is happening right now, because it will shape who you are and become part of your indentity.
keep strong xo

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #856 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:07 am »
+10
I'm not posting this for sympathy but I have been in hospital for the last week and I have been diagnosed with a lifelong, chronic condition that can eventually become debilitating and it's keeping me awake so I wanted to dump my thoughts somewhere. Feel free to skip this I just wanted to release my thoughts

I would say to anyone to always cherish your health and never take it for granted. I've had symptoms for a while which I ignored until I needed to be hospitalised, but I always had generally good physical health. All of that was taken away from me when I woke up from a diagnostic procedure and asked the doctor what's wrong
I took mine for granted and if the current treatments I'm undergoing don't work I could deteriorate (although is it possible to live relatively normally with this, the scientific literature I shouldn't have read tells me about third or more of people don't which is too high for me)

I just had a mini meltdown when the reality of the disease progression and side effects of the medications kicked in for me. I initially started crying because of the physical side effects (eg weight gain/fat redistribution, acne). I know it's ridiculous to lament my vanity but out of all the things that could happen, the risk of impaired cognitive function hit me the hardest.
This could take everything away from me but to take my ability to learn, remember and be mentally sharp will end me before anything else does. I can't help but worry about the opportunities I may miss or if I will be able to finish my education and succeed in it. I always took for granted the fact that I can learn anything & work to a high standard if needed. Will that be me anymore? If the physical changes happen I won't feel like myself but my love of learning is me. It's part of my identity & the thought of losing it is terrifying. I love being able to think quickly, to solve complex problems and to be challenged. Will that be possible for me in the future? Will I be discriminated against later on if I have to disclose my condition? Will it affect the jobs I can have?

I also feel I'm potentially mourning a life I haven't even experienced. Will some future man I haven't even met care for me if I'm this way?

Yet I know that there are conditions where devastating effects are confirmed & not just common. Knowing this, I still feel grateful for my life and I know that I am lucky
thoughts with you tashhhaaa <3
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #857 on: August 11, 2017, 11:02:21 am »
+8

2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #858 on: August 11, 2017, 11:30:12 am »
+7

Hi Tashhhaaa  =)

<3, sorry to hear that ^^.  This does not define you, it is simply just part of your experience. 

Try not to ask things like "What if this or that", "What if".. (which is a very normal reaction right now ^^),  go about things as if you normally would.

What changes if you ask those questions? Nothing. It dis-empowers you. Those questions just lead to more unhappiness.

=), Having gratitude and some gratefulness is a good step in the right direction and keep that up. Find the positives in your current situation.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #859 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:50 pm »
+10
Rough break, tashhhaaa, am really sorry to hear it.  Sending you a dozen hugs - there must be so many changes in your future expectations to come to terms with. :(
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #860 on: August 11, 2017, 10:53:17 pm »
+3
Is it normal to feel hungry when watching videos of how to properly eat sushi?

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #861 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:19 pm »
+4

Seeing any food makes me hungry, so yes :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #862 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:49 pm »
+1
How do you even properly eat sushi?
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #863 on: August 11, 2017, 10:57:14 pm »
+3
Seeing any food makes me hungry, so yes :)
Glad I'm not the only one haha :)
Apparently like this: https://youtu.be/auLmekEsaak

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #864 on: August 11, 2017, 10:57:39 pm »
+3
The proper way to eat sushi is to not eat it at all

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #865 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »
+6
The proper way to eat sushi is to not eat it at all

ThE pRoPeR wAy To EaT sUsHi Is To NoT eAt It At AlL!
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #866 on: August 12, 2017, 07:43:42 am »
+11
AN has officially become the first thing I check when I wake up, and the last when I fall asleep ;D
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #867 on: August 12, 2017, 09:10:01 am »
+6
AN has officially become the first thing I check when I wake up, and the last when I fall asleep ;D

Thread title amended. 8)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #868 on: August 12, 2017, 09:33:56 am »
+6
Same! The amount of time i've spent on AN over the last month and a half is so crazy! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #869 on: August 12, 2017, 10:03:43 am »
+6
Same! The amount of time i've spent on AN over the last month and a half is so crazy! :D
same! and it's been 2 years since I've been out of high school
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams