Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 04:50:14 am

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752733 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: Brenden is a filthy liar]
« Reply #1125 on: September 12, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
+4
I'm torn between the two. TP would eliminate the need to drive/catch public transport somewhere, but time-travel would allow me to go to different periods in history.
For the moment, I'd go with time-travel.
Meh, I can live without history
Stepped on a snail walking home. Felt bad.
Good, because I hate snails

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1126 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:35 pm »
+4
homework club supervisor :) basically just a glorified babysitter on most days, but on occasion modern/extension history students drop by and we go through stuff which is awesome! Pretty much had a mini class going before trials aha.

Yeah definitely - I think I was pretty lucky in the sense that most of the subjects I did bar English, Modern and Religion only had one class running, meaning it was way easier to develop a close bond with everyone in the cohort (even though modern had two classes, they were both pretty small so we did manage that with that subjects as well for the most part :) )

Wahoo!!! Often wish I did history at uni, since I really miss studying it (obvi get some release through AN stuff aha, but miss actually LEARNING it). ATM thinking that once I finish my current degree, I'll go and do another degree in history as well, then go onto make history docos aha :) What area of history do you think you'd want to look at?

that's pretty actually pretty awesome :-) i don't think i'd like to go back to my school after the hsc but it's nice to see people who go back and do stuff.

ooh yay! i'd be down for the history docos as well hahahahah will keep an eye out for those 😂😜 i'm thinking modern, but not exactly modern... maybe renaissance to the romantic period? or maybe i'll stay in the 1900s-present time. or religious history. or indonesian? who knows. how about you?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1127 on: September 12, 2017, 07:52:22 pm »
+3
Random thought:
What would you prefer, a teleportation device or a time machine?

oooh teleportation device. i'm the laziest of the lazy people out there, so that'd definitely be useful. travelling would be so much easier as well - no need for expensive plane fares! the time machine would be cool as well, like sign me up for exploring history.

Stepped on a snail walking home. Felt bad.

aw :-( poor snail
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1128 on: September 12, 2017, 07:54:50 pm »
+6

Woah.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #1129 on: September 12, 2017, 07:55:29 pm »
+9
Good, because I hate snails
Tonight, on Rui Roasts...

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1130 on: September 12, 2017, 08:17:03 pm »
+7
Meh, I can live without history
and I can live without your opinions >:(
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1131 on: September 12, 2017, 08:20:03 pm »
+5
that's pretty actually pretty awesome :-) i don't think i'd like to go back to my school after the hsc but it's nice to see people who go back and do stuff.

ooh yay! i'd be down for the history docos as well hahahahah will keep an eye out for those 😂😜 i'm thinking modern, but not exactly modern... maybe renaissance to the romantic period? or maybe i'll stay in the 1900s-present time. or religious history. or indonesian? who knows. how about you?
yeah aha, its actually quite nice though going back, without all the stress attached to it. Plus i get to call all the teachers by their first names now and that is VERY amusing haha.

So cool! Renaissance history is something that I'd be very interested to learn more about - sad that we never really deal with "middle period" history in the HSC (apart from maybe one or two topics in extension, but they're optional). For me, definitely modern stuff, Russian history of course, though I do find British and American history fascinating as well :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #1132 on: September 12, 2017, 08:29:27 pm »
+7
(Image removed from quote.)

Woah.

Hehe :) I spend a lot of time surfing threads and if I see something helpful, I upvote
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1133 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
+6
and I can live without your opinions >:(
*aggressively slams the upvote button*

So cool! Renaissance history is something that I'd be very interested to learn more about - sad that we never really deal with "middle period" history in the HSC (apart from maybe one or two topics in extension, but they're optional). For me, definitely modern stuff, Russian history of course, though I do find British and American history fascinating as well :)

What is it about renaissance history that interests you, in particular? The art? The ideas? The people?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1134 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:58 pm »
+6
*aggressively slams the upvote button*
;)

What is it about renaissance history that interests you, in particular? The art? The ideas? The people?
Hmmm a lot of things tbh! Firstly as I said in my post, its just so glossed over in the HSC, but also, I had a tutoring student for history extension write her major work on whether or not the renaissance really existed as a period, and it was really fascinating! I'd love to learn about the ordinary persons experience of the renaissance, and whether it really was any different to life before and after, despite it apparently being the "period of rebirth". :)

JG97

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1135 on: September 12, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »
+4
;)
Hmmm a lot of things tbh! Firstly as I said in my post, its just so glossed over in the HSC, but also, I had a tutoring student for history extension write her major work on whether or not the renaissance really existed as a period, and it was really fascinating! I'd love to learn about the ordinary persons experience of the renaissance, and whether it really was any different to life before and after, despite it apparently being the "period of rebirth". :)

1. ;) ;) *winking intensifies*

2. Sounds great! I would also like to find out what the Renaissance was like for ordinary people. I reckon the art is probably the best thing, for me. So much iconic artwork was created during that period. I'd like to know what the painters were influenced by, and what others thought of their work at the time.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1136 on: September 12, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »
+5
yeah aha, its actually quite nice though going back, without all the stress attached to it. Plus i get to call all the teachers by their first names now and that is VERY amusing haha.

calling teachers by their first names is kinda uncomfortable (everyone in legal does it? so weird) but you're colleagues now i guess? that sounds so odd what the heck

yea! the extension 'middle history' topics are so awesome. i was so upset when i found out we had to study jfk (not that it was a horrible topic when i did extension, but those middle ones would've been so good). pretty much everyone did the american civil war in year 11 for the historical investigation so i'm kinda turned off american history. which part of british and american history do you find interesting?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1137 on: September 12, 2017, 08:46:34 pm »
+3
Sounds great! I would also like to find out what the Renaissance was like for ordinary people. I reckon the art is probably the best thing, for me. So much iconic artwork was created during that period. I'd like to know what the painters were influenced by, and what others thought of their work at the time.

omg YES. i think what's so fascinating about the renaissance period was the art (not so much music, unfortunately, as instruments were more developed later) and there's so much great stuff from that period. learning about the different perspectives of art from then sound awesome.

JG97

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1138 on: September 12, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »
+2
omg YES. i think what's so fascinating about the renaissance period was the art (not so much music, unfortunately, as instruments were more developed later) and there's so much great stuff from that period. learning about the different perspectives of art from then sound awesome.

Can you imagine what they would've thought about Michelangelo and da Vinci back then?
"Pffft... amateurs. They could have at the very least have put extra brush strokes in that corner."

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1139 on: September 12, 2017, 09:01:55 pm »
+7
calling teachers by their first names is kinda uncomfortable (everyone in legal does it? so weird) but you're colleagues now i guess? that sounds so odd what the heck

yea! the extension 'middle history' topics are so awesome. i was so upset when i found out we had to study jfk (not that it was a horrible topic when i did extension, but those middle ones would've been so good). pretty much everyone did the american civil war in year 11 for the historical investigation so i'm kinda turned off american history. which part of british and american history do you find interesting?
Oh it is definitely uncomfortable - but more for them than it is for me, so I do it anyway ahaha.

They do sound interesting from the get go, but the year before me studied the crusades for extension and apparently it was v boring aha, so I guess the grass is always greener! I loved my topic though - Western Imperialism. So interesting.

I find social history in American fascinating - like the Civil Rights Movement. America itself is also just a generally weird country, and some of the weirdest events have occured there (eg. the Jonestown Massacre - by far the most interesting historical event in my opinion... America just seems to attract crazies. British history - well I am English aha, so I think theres a bit of personal interest there aha