Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:33:22 pm

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752970 times)  Share 

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: Brenden is a filthy liar]
« Reply #1140 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:00 pm »
+6
Oh it is definitely uncomfortable - but more for them than it is for me, so I do it anyway ahaha.

They do sound interesting from the get go, but the year before me studied the crusades for extension and apparently it was v boring aha, so I guess the grass is always greener! I loved my topic though - Western Imperialism. So interesting.

I find social history in American fascinating - like the Civil Rights Movement. America itself is also just a generally weird country, and some of the weirdest events have occured there (eg. the Jonestown Massacre - by far the most interesting historical event in my opinion... America just seems to attract crazies. British history - well I am English aha, so I think theres a bit of personal interest there aha

hahaha if you at all interested Susie I did my Year 11 historical investigation on: How did Jim Jones maintain control of the followers of the Peoples Temple? I've attached it if you want to read it since you seem pretty interested in it :) a very chilling topic to look into
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: Rui v. Susie]
« Reply #1141 on: September 12, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »
+3
America itself is also just a generally weird country, and some of the weirdest events have occured there (eg. the Jonestown Massacre - by far the most interesting historical event in my opinion... America just seems to attract crazies.

I love reading about cults like that, for some reason. I ask myself: what on Earth persuades people to join them? Jonestown was weird for lots of reasons, but the main thing I found weird is that over 900 people died. It is insane that people were willing to believe their leader and poison themselves. Have you heard about the Waco siege? Fascinating stuff, that one. Short version is that the Branch Davidians, lead by David Koresh, were investigated by the FBI on weapons charges. The government raided their compound/building, and the cult burned their compound to the ground, killing most of the members, including Koresh. Weird, weird stuff.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1142 on: September 12, 2017, 09:22:07 pm »
+4
Oh it is definitely uncomfortable - but more for them than it is for me, so I do it anyway ahaha.

They do sound interesting from the get go, but the year before me studied the crusades for extension and apparently it was v boring aha, so I guess the grass is always greener! I loved my topic though - Western Imperialism. So interesting.

I find social history in American fascinating - like the Civil Rights Movement. America itself is also just a generally weird country, and some of the weirdest events have occured there (eg. the Jonestown Massacre - by far the most interesting historical event in my opinion... America just seems to attract crazies. British history - well I am English aha, so I think theres a bit of personal interest there aha

okay maybe not the crusades then 😂 religious history is quite interesting though (the one about the historicity of Jesus? sounds GREAT), but there are some aspects where i'm like no... stop... when my modern teacher taught extension, he did the crusades and it'd probably be interesting just because he taught it.

oh yea, didn't think about that part! america is an odd country. ah okay, same with me for indonesia :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1143 on: September 12, 2017, 09:35:24 pm »
+5
hahaha if you at all interested Susie I did my Year 11 historical investigation on: How did Jim Jones maintain control of the followers of the Peoples Temple? I've attached it if you want to read it since you seem pretty interested in it :) a very chilling topic to look into

...so did I

great minds think alike I suppose ;) File size was too big so I had to cut out the pictures and the bibliography, but i've attached my essay as well :) I'm currently writing about it for a uni assessment right now as well! Nowhere near presentable atm, but once it's done i'll post it somewhere :)

I love reading about cults like that, for some reason. I ask myself: what on Earth persuades people to join them? Jonestown was weird for lots of reasons, but the main thing I found weird is that over 900 people died. It is insane that people were willing to believe their leader and poison themselves. Have you heard about the Waco siege? Fascinating stuff, that one. Short version is that the Branch Davidians, lead by David Koresh, were investigated by the FBI on weapons charges. The government raided their compound/building, and the cult burned their compound to the ground, killing most of the members, including Koresh. Weird, weird stuff.
Exactly, so strange. But the thing is that they are actually a lot more popular than (at least I thought) they were! Particularly in America. And no I hadn't heard of that event! Googling rn to see if there are any good documentaries on it ;)

okay maybe not the crusades then 😂 religious history is quite interesting though (the one about the historicity of Jesus? sounds GREAT), but there are some aspects where i'm like no... stop... when my modern teacher taught extension, he did the crusades and it'd probably be interesting just because he taught it.

oh yea, didn't think about that part! america is an odd country. ah okay, same with me for indonesia :-)
The historicity of Jesus does sound sooo interesting!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1144 on: September 12, 2017, 09:41:57 pm »
+8
I get home and everyone is talking about history  :D.

I have parties for both of my history classes tomorrow. For Ancient, we're doing a surprise birthday party for our teacher (it's his birthday tomorrow) and we're also doing an Ancient themed escape room. Were also making a yearbook with all of the funny out-of-context quotes said throughout the year and playing a kahoot with that. As a present our class is buying our teacher the Pompeii book by Mary Beard (as he loves Mary Beard).

It's our last extension history class tomorrow so we're also having a party with heaps of food. Were playing a huge kahoot and doing a bit of revision stuff. It's a bit sad with it being our last ever lesson.

I actually would love to do a history degree next year (still not sure what my preferences are but a bachelor of arts will definitely be on the list). Fantasticbeasts what uni were you looking at going to? How cool would it if we were together in a few classes! :D

Susie, I can't wait to watch any docos that you produce. Sure they would be amazing! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #1145 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:47 pm »
+7
^Bachelor of Arts represent. #doit

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1146 on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:51 pm »
+2
^Bachelor of Arts represent. #doit
I'm stuck between music, history and teaching at the moment (can't choose between the three  :'()
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1147 on: September 12, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »
+6
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHANGE THREAD TITLE TO "HISTORY APPRECIATION THREAD" GODDAMIT

Rui doesn't deserve to have his name associated with this discussion.  >:(

EDIT: Thank you  8)

I have parties for both of my history classes tomorrow. For Ancient, we're doing a surprise birthday party for our teacher (it's his birthday tomorrow) and we're also doing an Ancient themed escape room. Were also making a yearbook with all of the funny out-of-context quotes said throughout the year and playing a kahoot with that. As a present our class is buying our teacher the Pompeii book by Mary Beard (as he loves Mary Beard).

Sounds so good! Ancient themed escape room sounds like so much fun. We did something similar with the quotes aha, made our modern history teacher a calendar with all the important dates that we learned filled in, with each month getting a dedicated "Keith Kwote". Also bought him "Hammer and Tickle - A Communist Joke Book", and I got him personally a soccer shirt with his last name mixed with "Bolshevik" aha (quote when i gave it to him: "you combined my two favourite things, football and communism").

It's our last extension history class tomorrow so we're also having a party with heaps of food. Were playing a huge kahoot and doing a bit of revision stuff. It's a bit sad with it being our last ever lesson.

I actually would love to do a history degree next year (still not sure what my preferences are but a bachelor of arts will definitely be on the list). Fantasticbeasts what uni were you looking at going to? How cool would it if we were together in a few classes! :D

Susie, I can't wait to watch any docos that you produce. Sure they would be amazing! :)
Definitely sad! But still sure you'll have a lot of fun. And it's not over yet! Still got a while until that exam ;) And thank you aha :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:53:59 pm by sudodds »

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1148 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »
+4

got to love history!!

your last lesson plans sound like loads of fun - what i'd give to be there hahaha. are you getting anything for your extension teacher? my friends who are still in extension couldn't get an "i love jfk" mug printed in time for thursday, but they're getting chocolate bullets and putting jfk's face on the front HAHAHAHAH i cried when i heard that, it's going to be so funny when the teacher gets the gift!

i'm mainly looking into unsw! history wasn't really on the cards for me career-wise (asian parents with expectations of a good career, and being able to afford a house in sydney hahaha) so i had to look into other options. i'm hoping to get into the international studies and media (pr/advertising) course at unsw, but if not, i'll take a singular degree in media, then transfer, or maybe an arts degree. we'll see! i reckon it'd be pretty awesome to be in some classes together :-)

and also on a kinda related note can someone help me out with this question in the personality study: 'Differing perspectives and interpretations assist us in gaining an understanding of the personality’s significance in history.’ to what extent is this statement accurate in relation to the personality you have studied? i would post this in the modern question thread but i'm not bothered to go there right now 😂
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: History Appreciation]
« Reply #1149 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:20 pm »
+4
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHANGE THREAD TITLE TO "HISTORY APPRECIATION THREAD" GODDAMIT

Rui doesn't deserve to have his name associated with this discussion.  >:(

EDIT: Thank you  8)

YEEESSSSS HISTORY FOR THE WIN!

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #1150 on: September 12, 2017, 09:59:32 pm »
+5
haven't read every post but just gonna randomly join the history discussion!

I wasn't a big fan of history when I was younger but now I particularly find it interesting! It explains a lot of why the world is like this today etc..
over the past couple of months got particularly interested in modern European history
sometimes I wish I was doing a normal BA degree so I could take more history units :P (but I do have rooom for like 1/2 in my degree that I really want to do!)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1151 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:30 pm »
+3
haven't read every post but just gonna randomly join the history discussion!

I wasn't a big fan of history when I was younger but now I particularly find it interesting! It explains a lot of why the world is like this today etc..
over the past couple of months got particularly interested in modern European history
sometimes I wish I was doing a normal BA degree so I could take more history units :P (but I do have rooom for like 1/2 in my degree that I really want to do!)

awesome!! what specific countries, if any, are you most interested in right now?

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1152 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:40 pm »
+4
and also on a kinda related note can someone help me out with this question in the personality study: 'Differing perspectives and interpretations assist us in gaining an understanding of the personality’s significance in history.’ to what extent is this statement accurate in relation to the personality you have studied? i would post this in the modern question thread but i'm not bothered to go there right now 😂
ahaha, that was my question last year ;)

The way I'd approach it is by considering what the different perspectives of your historical personality's are, and then why they have manifested! So for my response, I said that the interpretations of Trotsky are fuelled more so by the historians interpretation of communism as an ideology, more so than Trotsky's person - for example, right wing historians present him as the more negative naive idealist/ruthless authoritarian, because that is what they percieve the ideology to be, in comparison to lefty historians who are my positive, and present him as a "practical revolutionary". In order to support this, historians cherry pick, presenting only certain parts of an event or persons life, or placing a particular emphasis on certain things over others, in order to prove their point. For example, the right wing historians focus on Trotsky's failure to predict a German revolution, whereas the left wing historians focus on how Trotsky responded to this failure. In this way, the controversy surrounding the personality reveals their complex nature, whereby their life is not a "black and white image", but full of nuance and grey areas. :) By taking into account both perspectives, we gain insight into the various ways in which their significance is depicted, and their overall significance to history :) (hope this makes sense aha)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1153 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:32 pm »
+5
got to love history!!

your last lesson plans sound like loads of fun - what i'd give to be there hahaha. are you getting anything for your extension teacher? my friends who are still in extension couldn't get an "i love jfk" mug printed in time for thursday, but they're getting chocolate bullets and putting jfk's face on the front HAHAHAHAH i cried when i heard that, it's going to be so funny when the teacher gets the gift!

i'm mainly looking into unsw! history wasn't really on the cards for me career-wise (asian parents with expectations of a good career, and being able to afford a house in sydney hahaha) so i had to look into other options. i'm hoping to get into the international studies and media (pr/advertising) course at unsw, but if not, i'll take a singular degree in media, then transfer, or maybe an arts degree. we'll see! i reckon it'd be pretty awesome to be in some classes together :-)
I feel really bad because I haven't actually got anything for my teacher yet (I might yet her something after the holidays though)! Most of my classes have been really late with trying to organise presents (four of them were organised last night!). The majority of the class also has my teacher for modern as well so I think they may be giving her a present for modern. That idea sounds so cool! I'm sure she will love it! :)

I'm actually looking at unsw as well! It would be so cool to be in classes together, or if not just see each other around more!  :D

The thread title has changed!!  ;D

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #1154 on: September 12, 2017, 10:11:16 pm »
+5
awesome!! what specific countries, if any, are you most interested in right now?
mainly interested in WW1/WW2/Cold War, so mainly like Britain, France, Germany, Russia/USSR, USA in the 20th century (really don't know much, particularly about Cold War but it seems pretty interesting and we've talked about some of these events in class!)

also great to see many hopeful BA students!  ;D
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams