Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 07:05:46 pm

Author Topic: The Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 752941 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: The Random Thoughts Thread [Currently: History Appreciation]
« Reply #1155 on: September 12, 2017, 10:14:48 pm »
+4
ahaha, that was my question last year ;)

The way I'd approach it is by considering what the different perspectives of your historical personality's are, and then why they have manifested! So for my response, I said that the interpretations of Trotsky are fuelled more so by the historians interpretation of communism as an ideology, more so than Trotsky's person - for example, right wing historians present him as the more negative naive idealist/ruthless authoritarian, because that is what they percieve the ideology to be, in comparison to lefty historians who are my positive, and present him as a "practical revolutionary". In order to support this, historians cherry pick, presenting only certain parts of an event or persons life, or placing a particular emphasis on certain things over others, in order to prove their point. For example, the right wing historians focus on Trotsky's failure to predict a German revolution, whereas the left wing historians focus on how Trotsky responded to this failure. In this way, the controversy surrounding the personality reveals their complex nature, whereby their life is not a "black and white image", but full of nuance and grey areas. :) By taking into account both perspectives, we gain insight into the various ways in which their significance is depicted, and their overall significance to history :) (hope this makes sense aha)

hahahah i realised after posting!

oh wow thank you! so pretty much, you use the last dot point in 'significance and evaluation' for this question?

I feel really bad because I haven't actually got anything for my teacher yet (I might yet her something after the holidays though)! Most of my classes have been really late with trying to organise presents (four of them were organised last night!). The majority of the class also has my teacher for modern as well so I think they may be giving her a present for modern. That idea sounds so cool! I'm sure she will love it! :)

I'm actually looking at unsw as well! It would be so cool to be in classes together, or if not just see each other around more!  :D

The thread title has changed!!  ;D

reactions are the best, it's going to be absolutely priceless - i'm so ready :-) the other girls who dropped extension and i, along with the current extension girls (obviously) got invited to a history extension breakfast thing so yea, we'll get to see the reaction live hahahah

oh yay!! that'd be awesome :-) and YES IT HAS history deserves everything

mainly interested in WW1/WW2/Cold War, so mainly like Britain, France, Germany, Russia/USSR, USA in the 20th century (really don't know much, particularly about Cold War but it seems pretty interesting and we've talked about some of these events in class!)

also great to see many hopeful BA students!  ;D

yay!! that's pretty much what i do in modern :-) the cold war is really interesting - i hope you get to learn more about it!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1156 on: September 12, 2017, 10:16:52 pm »
+5
a bit of talk about uni, then this email! AN people clearly know what's up 🤔
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #1157 on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »
+5
mainly interested in WW1/WW2/Cold War, so mainly like Britain, France, Germany, Russia/USSR, USA in the 20th century (really don't know much, particularly about Cold War but it seems pretty interesting and we've talked about some of these events in class!)

Can vouch for the Cold War being incredibly interesting! WWII as well - have been reading "The Rise and Fall of Nazi Germany" by William Shirer recently, and I highly recommend it (even though it is obscenely long aha)

hahahah i realised after posting!

oh wow thank you! so pretty much, you use the last dot point in 'significance and evaluation' for this question?
Yep pretty much!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #1158 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:21 pm »
+5
I feel really bad because I haven't actually got anything for my teacher yet (I might yet her something after the holidays though)!

This is literally my ancient history class right now. We don't even know what to get her and half the class doesn't want to contribute money because they're broke. I feel super bad for my teacher ;_;

Most of my classes have been really late with trying to organise presents (four of them were organised last night!).

That is pretty impressive, I must say!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1159 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:38 pm »
+4
ayeeeeee UTS ;)

don't offer a history degree though sadly :(

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1160 on: September 12, 2017, 10:24:00 pm »
+4
ayeeeeee UTS ;)

don't offer a history degree though sadly :(

yea they don't :-/ what's cool is the international studies program there, which is culture-based, so you major in a country, which is pretty awesome! i reckon there would be some history involved when learning about culture and what not so yea, pretty exciting!

side note: i've put down two preferences at uts in uac - international studies and communications :-)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1161 on: September 12, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »
+5
yea they don't :-/ what's cool is the international studies program there, which is culture-based, so you major in a country, which is pretty awesome! i reckon there would be some history involved when learning about culture and what not so yea, pretty exciting!

side note: i've put down two preferences at uts in uac - international studies and communications :-)
hectic! Potentially might see you around next year then ;)

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #1162 on: September 12, 2017, 10:30:31 pm »
+5
"Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it, while those who have learnt from it are doomed to witness it all." :( Seems to get more and more relevant nowadays.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #1163 on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:09 pm »
+5

I find WW2 history really interesting-my history extension major was on the Holocaust and the police battalions in it. We do a bit of Cold war history in the JFK section of extension (Bay of pigs, Cuban Missile crisis, operation Mongoose and a few other topics) which is also pretty interesting.   :D
I got that email this afternoon as well :)

This is literally my ancient history class right now. We don't even know what to get her and half the class doesn't want to contribute money because they're broke. I feel super bad for my teacher ;_;
Our Ancient present is the only one we have put heaps of thought into. Hospitality nobody has mentioned it but she is such a nice teacher I feel like we should get her a present-I might try to organise it tomorrow but I don't think most of the class will care. Some of my presents we are all only contributing $2 and with the 20 of us are getting flowers/card/chocolates etc.
That is pretty impressive, I must say!
One of the girls sent out Facebook messages for three of my subjects last night, so I think that's the only reason why they are slightly organised.
Can vouch for the Cold War being incredibly interesting! WWII as well - have been reading "The Rise and Fall of Nazi Germany" by William Shirer recently, and I highly recommend it (even though it is obscenely long aha)
I read the foreword of this for the extension debating thread and it was pretty good! Might try to start reading it soonish.
Just realised it has 1614 pages! That would definitely take a while, crazily long!
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1164 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:31 pm »
+3
hectic! Potentially might see you around next year then ;)

👀 yay!

"Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it, while those who have learnt from it are doomed to witness it all." :( Seems to get more and more relevant nowadays.

hmm yea i guess :-/ especially if you look at what's happening in certain places around the world

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1165 on: September 12, 2017, 10:40:01 pm »
+5
further emphasising the importance of studying history! But just so so so so so so true.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1166 on: September 12, 2017, 11:06:28 pm »
+6

Hello! I was enrolled in the Bachelor of International Studies and withdrew to straight communications. Can discuss why I did this in extensive detail and can tell you the experience of some students who have stayed on and are doing their year abroad now!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1167 on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:29 pm »
+2
Hello! I was enrolled in the Bachelor of International Studies and withdrew to straight communications. Can discuss why I did this in extensive detail and can tell you the experience of some students who have stayed on and are doing their year abroad now!

ooh yay okay! will message you now :-)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #1168 on: September 13, 2017, 07:00:03 am »
+6
On Wednesdays, I'm meant to wake up at 6, because we go to Clayton and leave at 6:50, and I need time to shower and eat.

This morning, I must have turned my alarms off without properly waking up, because I woke up at 6:38.

Great start to the day.

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1169 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:37 am »
+3
On Wednesdays, I'm meant to wake up at 6, because we go to Clayton and leave at 6:50, and I need time to shower and eat.

This morning, I must have turned my alarms off without properly waking up, because I woke up at 6:38.

Great start to the day.

Damn, that sucks! Sorry to hear that, dude.

I got up at 7:30, and I'm thinking about how my day will pan out. I'm going to work more on my writing piece (due next week), interspersed with perhaps Rick and Morty. Who knows?