Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 10:40:45 pm

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 132192 times)  Share 

tay.j

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:49 pm »
My only concern is that it may be a bit too specific - you might struggle to write an entire essay on the topic. I'm not saying that you can't, however I believe it would be quite difficult. I suggest broadening out your topic a bit - maybe this can be one paragraph, dealing with the broader issue of unconventional evidence, looking at the way in which specific groups of historians utilise various forms of evidence (or suggest these forms are more valuable than others, eg. official documents).
Firstly, thankyou so much for answering and providing so much reassurance! With the part I have quoted above, are you suggesting my question be something in regards to photographs as a historical sources, with Iwo Jima as an example/case study to back up a point made in the essay, but locate other examples for other points I make? Like, kinda zoom out a bit and make the essay overall about photographs, but then use specific case studies to reinforce my analysis rather than do a whole essay on Iwo Jima? Sorry so muddled.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2018, 02:14:09 pm »
Firstly, thankyou so much for answering and providing so much reassurance! With the part I have quoted above, are you suggesting my question be something in regards to photographs as a historical sources, with Iwo Jima as an example/case study to back up a point made in the essay, but locate other examples for other points I make? Like, kinda zoom out a bit and make the essay overall about photographs, but then use specific case studies to reinforce my analysis rather than do a whole essay on Iwo Jima? Sorry so muddled.

No worries! What we're here for :) What I was suggesting in the quote was maybe broadening it beyond just photographs and looking at the nature of evidence in general, and whether or not unconventional forms (eg. photographs, but also film, literature, art, etc.) can also be considered valid forms of evidence, and they maybe provide a unique perspective or challenge to the historian, using photographs (and principally Iwo Jima's photographs) as a case study :) If you did decide to take this path, you could look at Bernard Porter as another example of someone who uses a wide variety of different "cultural" sources to support his analysis, beyond just the typical official documents and letters.

However that was only one suggestion - definitely not something that you need to take on board, just my initial thoughts when looking at your topic :)

FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2018, 10:31:28 pm »
+2
Hi :)
I was wondering if I could have some advice on my major work which is based on the causes of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 and how historians' perceptions have changed over time. I plan to explore how historians with varying nationalities and differing contexts write this historiography and whether their representations of history are valid based on their varying methodologies. I'm also finding it difficult to come across meaningful controversies between historians and was wondering if you could give me some pointers as to where to find good information and how you were able to incorporate it into the essay.
I would really appreciate your help :)

Hey! Now I don't know much about the Iranian Revolution, or the historiographical debates, so unfortunately I cannot be of much help in the specifics, however what I will suggest is try and find a unique angle. Don't just regurgitate what other historiographers say (ie people from this nationality say this, whereas people from this nationality have a different opinion), try and find something different to make your argument shine. That doesn't mean you have to change your plan, you can still focus on nationalities and context, however maybe look at historiographical concepts related to these notions, eg. Orientalism, Nationalism, etc. to build your response, and add a theoretical layer to your analysis which will strengthen your essay.

This might be a way that you can find those "meaningful controversies" as well :) For example, my project was super niche - "To what extent is the discipline of history experiencing the dialectical dilemma of the interpenetration of opposites?", which meant that literally no one had written on my project in its totality. That meant that I had to find small aspects of my topic, find out what people had said about those, then relate that to the grander thesis (hope this makes sense). Basically they weren't writing about my topic, but I could use their writings on other things to support my topic. This was great because it also forced me to be the historiographer, rather than just parrot other historiographers.

Hope this helps!

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

lexi24216

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:13 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply Susie :) Just to confirm something else, is the major work question designed to be theoretical as well?
HSC 2018: 98.75 atar
|English adv [97] | Chemistry [84] | SOR II [93]| Modern History [94] | History Extension [48]|

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2018, 08:36:50 pm »
+2
Thanks so much for your reply Susie :) Just to confirm something else, is the major work question designed to be theoretical as well?
It doesn't necessarily have to be theoretical (though it never hurts to be), however it does have to be historiographical, rather than history based :)

tay.j

• Trailblazer
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2018, 05:38:03 pm »
No worries! What we're here for :) What I was suggesting in the quote was maybe broadening it beyond just photographs and looking at the nature of evidence in general, and whether or not unconventional forms (eg. photographs, but also film, literature, art, etc.) can also be considered valid forms of evidence, and they maybe provide a unique perspective or challenge to the historian, using photographs (and principally Iwo Jima's photographs) as a case study :) If you did decide to take this path, you could look at Bernard Porter as another example of someone who uses a wide variety of different "cultural" sources to support his analysis, beyond just the typical official documents and letters.

However that was only one suggestion - definitely not something that you need to take on board, just my initial thoughts when looking at your topic :)
Are you able to explain 'unconventional evidence' a bit further for me? Sorry about all the questions.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »
Are you able to explain 'unconventional evidence' a bit further for me? Sorry about all the questions.
All good no worries! What I mean by that is evidence that is not traditionally used by historians to support their analysis. For example, many empiricist historians suggest that the only form of actual evidence that should be consulted are official documents and letters, however today many historians (particularly cultural or social historians) look at unconventional evidence to provide a new perspective (that some may argue is more of a reflection of the society that the potentially manipulated political documents). For example, some historians will now use more cultural evidence, such as TV, comic books, school textbooks, working class prints and music as sources and evidence to support their thesis.

Hope this makes more sense :)

Susie

tay.j

• Trailblazer
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2018, 05:56:12 pm »
All good no worries! What I mean by that is evidence that is not traditionally used by historians to support their analysis. For example, many empiricist historians suggest that the only form of actual evidence that should be consulted are official documents and letters, however today many historians (particularly cultural or social historians) look at unconventional evidence to provide a new perspective (that some may argue is more of a reflection of the society that the potentially manipulated political documents). For example, some historians will now use more cultural evidence, such as TV, comic books, school textbooks, working class prints and music as sources and evidence to support their thesis.

Hope this makes more sense :)

Susie
Ahhh that makes heaps more sense, thankyou. I'm really liking that idea. If I based my question on whether unconventional evidence can be considered a valid form of evidence, and the challenges or oppurtunities it presents to historians, would I be able to look at just photographs, or would it be best to include others too e.g. art, films, music etc. I feel like I would be able to talk about photographs a lot easier than other sources, but wondering if that is too narrow.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2018, 05:58:35 pm »
Ahhh that makes heaps more sense, thankyou. I'm really liking that idea. If I based my question on whether unconventional evidence can be considered a valid form of evidence, and the challenges or oppurtunities it presents to historians, would I be able to look at just photographs, or would it be best to include others too e.g. art, films, music etc. I feel like I would be able to talk about photographs a lot easier than other sources, but wondering if that is too narrow.
I can't make a definitive call on that as it isn't my project, and I don't know a lot about the issue, however I'd say that you'd be fine using photographs as your main case study, however it'd be good to at least incorporate some other forms of evidence as well :)

tay.j

• Trailblazer
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »
I can't make a definitive call on that as it isn't my project, and I don't know a lot about the issue, however I'd say that you'd be fine using photographs as your main case study, however it'd be good to at least incorporate some other forms of evidence as well :)
Yep, ok. All the same, thankyou very much for all your help.

lbridget

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2018, 10:23:05 am »
Hey all,

on the marking criteria for the progress log of the major work it says "providing a detailed explanation of procedures used"... what does that mean?????? Is there a more correct research procedure i should be using??

MT

Brittany168

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2018, 11:51:35 am »
Hello  :)

I was wondering whether I could have some advice on the major work. I'm thinking of doing it on the changing interpretations on Chairman Mao's role in the Cultural Revolution but I'm not too sure on how to structure the essay. I think it's best to do it by concepts or by the questions from the syllabus, but I'm not too sure on how to apply it to my current question. I'm sorry for the broad question, but any advice would be really helpful!

Thanks

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #282 on: January 19, 2018, 09:46:09 pm »
+1
Hey all,

on the marking criteria for the progress log of the major work it says "providing a detailed explanation of procedures used"... what does that mean?????? Is there a more correct research procedure i should be using??

MT
Hey there!
I think when it says 'procedures' it requires you to be detailed in how you approach this Major Work. My teacher used an example of going to the State Library and taking a selfie there to show that you're not just using the Internet for sources. Make sure to include anything related to your Major Work- I included screenshots of emails that I've exchanged with experts as well as my drafts/essay plans and summarised my conversations with my teachers. Don't forget to include any major decisions you've made; so maybe you decided to change your topic? Add some reflections in your Major Work too, especially if you've encountered any obstacles.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:16 pm »
+2
Hello  :)

I was wondering whether I could have some advice on the major work. I'm thinking of doing it on the changing interpretations on Chairman Mao's role in the Cultural Revolution but I'm not too sure on how to structure the essay. I think it's best to do it by concepts or by the questions from the syllabus, but I'm not too sure on how to apply it to my current question. I'm sorry for the broad question, but any advice would be really helpful!

Thanks
Hey,
Unfortunately, I don’t know much about Chairman Mao but I can try to help you with the structure.

I did my essay on two different conflicting interpretations of Holocaust perpetrators motivations. So for my essay, I had a paragraph on each historian’s context, methodology and then how this influenced their interpretations. So, my paragraphs were based on the questions, Who are the historians?’, and ‘How has history been constructed and recorded over time?’.

One of my friends did changing interpretations of Joan of Arc and I think that she did a paragraph for each of her historians with interpretations/criticism, methodology, etc. in them. You can definitely do it conceptually as well (I’m not too sure what concepts though because I don’t know your historians) and that could be a sophisticated way to write your essay.

Ultimately, your structure, and amount of paragraphs is personal and unique to your project. For example, my essay had eight paragraphs while Susie’s had 2 large paragraphs (conceptual, each with one major idea).

Hope this helps! (so sorry it’s so late) :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:16:27 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

LochNess Monster

• Forum Regular
  • I speak Chinglish!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2018, 09:54:23 pm »
Hi!

So I'm totally struggling...I looked over some of the history extension past papers and was blown away.

How do I write like that?

How can I write like that?

I feel like I dont know the jargon of this historical world (let alone past and present from all these dead guys).

I was wondering if you have some clear and simple tips to help me break it down?

Would be super grateful for some advice.

*Also, how would I incorporate better historiography into the major work? Right now my draft sounds like a modern history essay. It has my three points and some quotes with strong arguments but not much historians/theories, etc. Not sure how to integrate 'theory' into my essay on historical figures.

Many thanks, guys!
 ;D
ATAR: 89.55
⸜( ˙ ˘ ˙)/ ・゚☆✧ Sometimes wrong numbers are the right numbers ~ Cecelia Ahern

☽ “But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” - Yeats