Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 04:33:20 am

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 132197 times)  Share 

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2018, 06:32:26 pm »
+3
How do I avoid the process log becoming a diary? How should I write it?
Hey,
For my process log, I used this template:

Log Book Entry (Entry Number)-
Location which work was done-
Date-
Time-
Major resources used-
New insights I have had into my topic/what I did (my new research)-
How I am feeling about my topic at the moment-

Any time I did anything on my major, I would make an entry (whether it was a new question, research or work on my essay). I would dump all of my new research into the logbook so I had a place where I could easily find everything and it was evidence that I had been doing research throughout the process. I tried to make it really detailed and show each step and major decision of my project.

I was reflective (and critical of my own process) throughout my logbook as in each entry, I included how I was feeling, e.g: ‘worried I haven’t done enough research’, ‘really interested in what I’m researching’, ‘excited’, ‘stressed, etc. I also made some entries like ‘went to fisher library with my friend and did research’. However, my logbook was focussed more on my research and process then reflection.

Hope this helps!! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2018, 08:52:36 pm »
+1
Yes, thankyou very much :)

tay.j

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #302 on: February 15, 2018, 05:03:36 pm »
Hi :)
For my project, I'm most likely doing the question "Photographs; a challenge or opportunity for the modern historian?"
Questions:
1. Any criticisms for my question? I have a feeling it may be too broad.
2. For my enquiry questions, I was thinking of doing 3 different types of historians, and how photographs can be advantageous/a hindrance for them. I am most likely doing war historians, but am not sure as to what do for the other two. Any ideas?
3. Does this sound like it is going in the right direction?
Thank You for any advice at all :D

I know it is kinda a lot to answer, but if ANYONE has anything to say or any advice regarding the above question, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mod Edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:22:24 pm by katie,rinos »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2018, 03:17:53 pm »
+3
Hi :)
For my project, I'm most likely doing the question "Photographs; a challenge or opportunity for the modern historian?"
Questions:
1. Any criticisms for my question? I have a feeling it may be too broad.
2. For my enquiry questions, I was thinking of doing 3 different types of historians, and how photographs can be advantageous/a hindrance for them. I am most likely doing war historians, but am not sure as to what do for the other two. Any ideas?
3. Does this sound like it is going in the right direction?
Thank You for any advice at all :D
Hey,
1. I think your question sounds good and it is definitely historiographical! I also think that it may be a little bit too broad. If you only have three different types of historians it should be ok, but maybe talk to your teacher to see if you need to narrow your question.       

2. War historians sound good however you may possibly need to choose a particular war to focus on. There could be heaps of photos from both WW1 & WW2 (and other wars) that you could use as examples. For the next two types, I don’t know a lot about photographs used by modern historians so I can’t really tell you any.

3. Yeah, definitely sounds like your going in the right direction! You have got a clear question (which took me ages to find) and now just need to work on getting the next two types of historians and more research.

Good luck with your major! Hope this helps! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

Calley123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #304 on: February 24, 2018, 08:59:26 pm »
Hey,
Im planning to structure my essay this way. My question is 'What do claims & denials of the Native American genocide reveal about the nature of history?'
Im trying to focus my paragraphs around historiographical issues..Any criticisms? How can i improve the 2nd point ?
Introduction/ synopsis
Body Paragraphs:
1. The problems of previous mainstream history of the Native Americans being written by the hegemonic white society
2. Defending the role of history as a discipline- it capacity to continuously take in alternative readings of the past and still search for objectivity 
3. The limitations of an Eurocentric natured discipline- its failure to broaden is highlighted by the only recent birth of the genocide debate
4. The process of historical comparison between the Native American genocide & Jewish Holocaust- the pros & cons
5. Coining of the term genocide & how the debate about the genocide reveals the process of Native Americans becoming the agents of their own history
Conclusion

Thank you

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #305 on: March 02, 2018, 03:07:15 pm »
+1
Hey,
Im planning to structure my essay this way. My question is 'What do claims & denials of the Native American genocide reveal about the nature of history?'
Im trying to focus my paragraphs around historiographical issues..Any criticisms? How can i improve the 2nd point ?
Introduction/ synopsis
Body Paragraphs:
1. The problems of previous mainstream history of the Native Americans being written by the hegemonic white society
2. Defending the role of history as a discipline- it capacity to continuously take in alternative readings of the past and still search for objectivity 
3. The limitations of an Eurocentric natured discipline- its failure to broaden is highlighted by the only recent birth of the genocide debate
4. The process of historical comparison between the Native American genocide & Jewish Holocaust- the pros & cons
5. Coining of the term genocide & how the debate about the genocide reveals the process of Native Americans becoming the agents of their own history
Conclusion

Thank you
Hey,
I think that your ideas for the paragraphs are all really good as they are all based on historiographical issues that seem well researched and you would use the Native American genocide as a case study throughout your essay.

1.   Could possibly talk about the top down approach to history (scholarship that is written by rich white men/higher classes and emphasises elites and leaders opposed to average people).

2.   While history is constantly challenged by new differing interpretations and perspectives formed on events, historians still strive for historiographical objectivity throughout their works. You could look at the context/methodology of your historians and show how even though they have differing perspectives they all aim to be objective. You could show however, that each historian still has some bias throughout their work as they can never be 100% objective.

Hope this helps!! Good luck for your essay! :D

Calley123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #306 on: March 02, 2018, 08:56:20 pm »
+1
Hey,
I think that your ideas for the paragraphs are all really good as they are all based on historiographical issues that seem well researched and you would use the Native American genocide as a case study throughout your essay.

1.   Could possibly talk about the top down approach to history (scholarship that is written by rich white men/higher classes and emphasises elites and leaders opposed to average people).

2.   While history is constantly challenged by new differing interpretations and perspectives formed on events, historians still strive for historiographical objectivity throughout their works. You could look at the context/methodology of your historians and show how even though they have differing perspectives they all aim to be objective. You could show however, that each historian still has some bias throughout their work as they can never be 100% objective.

Hope this helps!! Good luck for your essay! :D
Thank you !

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2018, 10:31:22 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
So I'm currently planning my practice essay for the 2016 HSC Exam and this is my essay plan so far:

1. The way evidence is used is dependent on the historian's personal context.
Source: ' ... evidence consists of those remains that historians use in making histories...' --> suggests how the interpretation and selection of evidence is dependent on the historian.
Examples:
Bede's 'The Ecclesiastical History of the English People' was heavily influenced by his upbringing in the monastery - 'history's is God's plan revealed.' --> reinforces the impact of context on the presentation of history since Bede wanted to present the right form of the Gospel --> can be viewed as Christian propaganda since Bede wanted his audience to convert
E.H. Carr: '... what the historian catches will depend, partly on chance; but mainly on what part of the ocean he chooses to fish in and what tackle he chooses to use- these two factors being, of course, determined by the kind of facts he wants.' --> reasserts the idea of context impacting the selection of evidence
(maybe throw in John Vincent here- depends how long my paragraph is at the moment)

2. There is an emergence in the different forms of evidence.
Source: '... the definition of evidence has expanded dramatically. From a heavy reliance on written documents, historians have graduated to a more latitudinarian approach that welcomes scientific data...' --> reinforces the wide variety of evidence that can be used.
Examples:
Ranke's empirical methods in studying history- write history 'as it happened.' --> traditional methodology
Contrast with graphical novel 'Maus'- Art Spiegelman used oral history (interviews with his father) to graphically present the Holocaust. --> oral history is an uncommon method in history since history is traditionally upper class --> indicates democratisation in history

3. Use of evidence has changed from using evidence to find the absolute truth to using evidence to support a historian's judgement.
Source: 'How do the multiple pieces of the past cohere? What is the common thread linking literary texts, religious art...? That human beings created all these things may not be enough to confer an integrated meaning on clues that are not clearly linked or on witnesses of uncertain authority.' --> explores the notion of how despite the wide variety of evidence, there is not enough evidence that can help reach absolute truth.
Examples:
Thucydides' almost- medical style in language reflects his genuine aim for objectivity --> still room for subjectivity due to his context (e.g. generous in representing Brasidas to lessen his responsibility in defeat) --> contrasts with Carr's relativistic views --> purpose: posterity/ wants future generations to learn from the past
Gibbon incorporated elements of philosophy and encouraged his audience to form judgements on his views on history (e.g. His work 'The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire was used to reflect the British Empire's relations with the US/American Revolution) --> purpose: posterity but also encouraged people to sympathise with the past/ consider his view on the nature of civilisation

Does this structure make sense? I'm not very comfortable in writing History Extension essays so I'm running past my structure here before writing.

Thanks in advance!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #308 on: March 05, 2018, 09:03:04 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
So I'm currently planning my practice essay for the 2016 HSC Exam and this is my essay plan so far:
Does this structure make sense? I'm not very comfortable in writing History Extension essays so I'm running past my structure here before writing.

Thanks in advance!
Hey,
I think that your essay plan and structure sounds really good!  Your quotes/arguments definitely fit the question and your historians are linked well. The amount of historians you write about in each paragraph will depend on your writing speed/and the length of your paragraphs.

Hope this helps :D

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2018, 09:37:02 pm »
Hey,

For the extension history essay, 'What is history', what are some tips for constructing paragraphs and are the topic sentences like English topic sentences where you make a broad statement and then go on...

Thanks!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:05 pm »
+2
Hey,

For the extension history essay, 'What is history', what are some tips for constructing paragraphs and are the topic sentences like English topic sentences where you make a broad statement and then go on...

Thanks!
Hey,
I planned my What is History essays by first reading over the source a few times. I then highlighted the main arguments that were relevant to the question and write these in my own words (around 3-4 main points). I would state if I agreed/disagreed with these points and then link historians and briefly explain why. I would then number my points and write a thesis statement that would be the first page of my introduction.

My topic sentences were broad statements on the historiographical issue (e.g Historians can be selective in their use of sources), and then I would go on, including my historians to back up the arguments.

Make sure that your essays are analytical essays, that have critical judgements on the historians and arguments in the source. Try to include the positive and negative points about each historian/schools approach to history.

I wrote an article on planning and writing history extension essays here, that may be helpful.

Hope this helps! :D

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:27 pm »
+1
Ok thanks so much!

Hey,
I planned my What is History essays by first reading over the source a few times. I then highlighted the main arguments that were relevant to the question and write these in my own words (around 3-4 main points). I would state if I agreed/disagreed with these points and then link historians and briefly explain why. I would then number my points and write a thesis statement that would be the first page of my introduction.

My topic sentences were broad statements on the historiographical issue (e.g Historians can be selective in their use of sources), and then I would go on, including my historians to back up the arguments.

Make sure that your essays are analytical essays, that have critical judgements on the historians and arguments in the source. Try to include the positive and negative points about each historian/schools approach to history.

I wrote an article on planning and writing history extension essays here, that may be helpful.

Hope this helps! :D

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2018, 07:03:49 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

I'm really behind on my major work, I've chopped and changed ideas so many times but I think I've settled on one now and I really need to start writing.
I've got my idea but I'm unsure as how to make it more historiographical, so any help would be appreciated !!

I've been brainstorming about my interests and I think I want to do the Cult of Isis in Rome -  cultic behaviour /practices
- how did cults operate? - power? structure? practice?
- the purpose and significance of the roman women’s cults
- apuleius’ account of the cult of isis - what it reveals about romans
- Ovid's accounts regarding the cult
- Propertius – has poems about Isis
-maybe try and include some of Michel Foucault's theories on power?
-I'm finding it hard to find modern historians to relate to it as well

If anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful !! :)

Hello~~

Not sure if this is quite helpful but I'll just quickly summarise my experience of making my major as historiographical based as possible.

So I tried to find a topic that I was interested in and to avoid making the mistake of recounting the event, I chose a book which evaluated a question relating to the event. So basically my major is historiography based because I'm evaluating another piece of historiography. Does that make sense?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2018, 05:51:03 pm »
Hey guys,
So half-yearlies are coming soon and I wanted to ask: how do you prepare for History Extension exams? Apart from doing practice essays and essay plans, are there any other ways we can prepare for an exam?

Also, can someone explain linguistic turn? I've asked a number of people about this, and when I try to research about it, I still don't understand.

Thanks in advance!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #314 on: April 02, 2018, 08:47:16 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
So half-yearlies are coming soon and I wanted to ask: how do you prepare for History Extension exams? Apart from doing practice essays and essay plans, are there any other ways we can prepare for an exam?

Hey,
Apart from essay plans and essays, the main thing I did was flashcards/quizlets. I had them on the historians for what is history, the case study (methodology, interpretation, quotes & context) and some of the key historiographical terms I wanted to remember. I would just go over them and then with quizlet you can do mini tests on them. My teacher also suggested that we could make and know a timetable of the important events in history & historiography just so we can know where everything fits in.

Also, can someone explain linguistic turn? I've asked a number of people about this, and when I try to research about it, I still don't understand.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not too sure with the linguistic turn because I didn’t cover the specific term in class. I’ve read a few different websites and I think it is linked to postmodernism/post-structuralism but I’m not 100% sure (I'm kinda confusing myself at this point).

Post-structuralism is when the historians are questioning the stability of meaning and realise that signifiers (sounds/words) and signs (what we see in our mind when we think of the word) are not fixed, which can happen as meaning/interpretations of words can change over time/language is fluid. Meaning continually changes so we can only ground our signifiers on what they are not (e.g a cat is not a dog). Therefore, signifiers refer to each other in an endless cycle of deferral.

These pictures may help:
Spoiler

I mainly looked at post-modernist historians like Foucault and White for this. White believed that our language was so full of hidden symbols such as metaphors and symbolism that our history should be called fiction.

Hope this helps!! Good luck for your exams! :D